It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orionid meteor shower peaks Wednesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

The view should be especially good this year, as the crescent Moon will remain below the horizon, with no chance to overpower the light from meteors streaking across the sky.

High-resolution images and high-definition video are available online at StarDate's Media Center. There, you can also sign up to receive advanced e-mail notices of future skywatching events.

Orionid meteors appear to fall from above the star Betelgeuse, the bright orange star marking the shoulder of the constellation Orion. They are not associated with this star or constellation, but are leftover debris from Halley's Comet. The Orionid meteors recur each year when Earth passes through the comet's debris trail.

www.physorg.com...

this is always a great shower. I'm looking forward to wednesday night. I'll be out in the country that evening anyways. A jacket and some snacks and free as aposed to 10+$ to see a movie, get out there with some cameras folks some good footage to post here would be great

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Thanks for this reminder! Even though this shower occurs every year around my birthday, I always forget about it! I hope that the weather will cooperate here in northern Germany.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Been looking forward to it here in north Florida too! I'm actually off that night and there will also be a bright -8 magnitude Iridium Flare here that morning also. Lucky me if the weather is clear!

Of course, for anyone interested in searching to see when Iridium Flares, the International Space Station, etc may be visible in your area... go to the Heavens Above website and search.

Heavens Above website

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
2:30 a.m. here in north Florida with a slightly chilly temp of 54 and the constellation of Orion high in the clear sky and meteors from the dust of Halleys Comet giving some pretty glowing streaks!

They say the viewing is best before dawn here in the U.S., and it was yesterday morning (around 4:30 on), but being a nightshift worker...
.... I'm up already.

People, don't forget to check it out!

Edit to add... I'm going to get a jacket and Happy Birthday Octotom!

[edit on 10/21/2009 by dreams n chains]

top topics

join