It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eye of the Earth.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
Ok so its not seconds but milliseconds. Anyway i doubt the earth is hollow and it is completely known that the earth is slowing down. How would that make days shorter. Think of a figure skater, when they bring there limbs in closer they speed up right? Well guess what the earth does not squeeze inward at the equator, it bulges out because of the drag of the moon and i assuming because of the spin, therefor it is slowing down to make the days longer it a known proven fact.

Or maybe, the moon is moving away from the earth at a equal rate which makes this fact cancel out.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychonaughty

Ok so its not seconds but milliseconds. Anyway i doubt the earth is hollow and it is completely known that the earth is slowing down. How would that make days shorter. Think of a figure skater, when they bring there limbs in closer they speed up right? Well guess what the earth does not squeeze inward at the equator, it bulges out because of the drag of the moon and i assuming because of the spin, therefor it is slowing down to make the days longer it a known proven fact.

Or maybe, the moon is moving away from the earth at a equal rate which makes this fact cancel out.

How do you figure? I mean your right, it is moving away, but how would that increase the earths rotation? makes no sense

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

Like I said, the earth is neither slowing or speeding up due to the moons rate at which it moves away from the earth in congruency with the gravitational force via the moon.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hello, president, this is a very cool question.

Often, we think of the earth's core as moving very fast, because the outer part of the earth is moving very fast. But if we cut the earth in half, and somehow it still remained together, and the half we are looking at still spins the same as it did, then it would look kind of like a record spinning on a record player. If you put your finger on the outer edge, while the record is playing, you can feel the record passing under your finger very quickly. But if you move your finger toward the center of the record you will feel that the record is moving very slowly compared to the outer edge. And even if there was a smaller record, ie. core, that was spinning just slightly faster than the area adjacent to it, it would still be slower than the outer regions.

Now when we read that the core is 1500 miles across, we think that is a great distance, and the spin should throw it outward, but from the core to the center is half that distance, thus the thrust of its centripetal force is acting on its radius, not its diameter. half of 1500 is 750, so we have only 750 miles of material, and we assume that is all iron, but in all probability there are heavier metals further in.

Add to this the idea presented by Lichter Daraus on the first page, that gravity is pulling inward, and all the material of the outer crust is pushing down. Now if gravity was not pulling hard enough to contain the material of our planet, it would all spin away from the core, but it does not. Actually, it is likely that gravity is compressing the core. Remember that materials, even stone, put under enormous pressure often expel electrons, this is known as the piezoelectric effect. It is very likely that this effect is generating our electromagnetic field that protects us from radiation.

Another cool question is this, how fast is the center of the earth truly moving? Consider this, at the very very center of the earth, the area the size of your finger, if you put your finger on it, and turned with it, it would take you, almost exactly, minus a half a second or so, 24 hours to complete your turn of the finger at the earth's core. If the Earth's core, at that small area is responsible for all of our gravity, instead of the big iron shell around it, then how could spin have anything to do with gravity? Maybe, just maybe, spin is a by-product of gravity.

Food for thought?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

The radius of the Moon's orbit is very slowly increasing. The rate of the Earth's rotation is very slowly decreasing. The Moon always shows one side to the Earth. All three phenomena are connected.

The reason the Moon only shows us one face is due to tidal locking. The tidal influences of Earth on the Moon has caused the Moon's rate of rotation to exactly match its rate of revolution around the Earth. But the Moon also exerts tidal forces on the Earth. These forces are gradually slowing the speed of Earth's rotation so that at some time in the distant future it will match the rate of the Moon's revolution around the Earth, some day a day will last a month (as it does now on the Moon). But there is a tradeoff; in slowing the Earth's rotation, the Moon gains the energy that the Earth is losing. That energy gets transferred to the Moon's orbit, causing it to get "higher". The energy that the Moon is stealing from Earth's rotation is being converted into orbital energy, it is moving the Moon away from the Earth.

Re: the OP.
The eye of a hurricane is not caused by "centrifugal force" and it is not a void. It is caused by cold, dry air being drawn downward into the low pressure area at the surface. This results in a hole in the clouds. At the surface, the wind is drawn inward to the eye.

As has been said, gravity and the pressure (weight) of 8,000 miles of rock and metal are far more powerful than "centrifugal force". If it weren't, we would be flung off of the surface. The Earth is not hollow.

[edit on 10/20/2009 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The radius of the Moon's orbit is very slowly increasing. The rate of the Earth's rotation is very slowly decreasing. The Moon always shows one side to the Earth. All three phenomena are connected.

The reason the Moon only shows us one face is due to tidal locking. The tidal influences of Earth on the Moon has caused the Moon's rate of rotation to exactly match its rate of revolution around the Earth. But the Moon also exerts tidal forces on the Earth. These forces are gradually slowing the speed of Earth's rotation so that at some time in the distant future it will match the rate of the Moon's revolution around the Earth, some day a day will last a month (as it does now on the Moon). But there is a tradeoff; in slowing the Earth's rotation, the Moon gains the energy that the Earth is losing. That energy gets transferred to the Moon's orbit, causing it to get "higher". The energy that the Moon is stealing from Earth's rotation is being converted into orbital energy, it is moving the Moon away from the Earth.

Re: the OP.
The eye of a hurricane is not caused by "centrifugal force" and it is not a void. It is caused by cold, dry air being drawn downward into the low pressure area at the surface. This results in a hole in the clouds. At the surface, the wind is drawn inward to the eye.

As has been said, gravity and the pressure (weight) of 8,000 miles of rock and metal are far more powerful than "centrifugal force". If it weren't, we would be flung off of the surface. The Earth is not hollow.

[edit on 10/20/2009 by Phage]

Thank very much phage, i didn't know how to explain what i was getting at sense i didn't know enough about it.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Ha. you got me there. I forgot about centrifical force. I must have skipped that day in science class.

anyhow. I don't really remember how the center of the gravitron worked, (I haven't been to the fair in a long time) And I have never been in the eye of a tornado. so I don't know exactly how it would work.

But it seams that if there were a hollow layer in the earth, created by the liquid in the inner layers being slung outwards, and we drilled into it, It would be like opening the door on the gravitron while it was in motion. The whole thing would probably shake apart.

Oh. And, if you add an inch to a thing, it gets longer. and if you add a second to a day, it would get longer.
Beyond that, I was totally lost.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by president]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by president
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Ha. you got me there. I forgot about centrifical force. I must have skipped that day in science class.

anyhow. I don't really remember how the center of the gravitron worked, (I haven't been to the fair in a long time) And I have never been in the eye of a tornado. so I don't know exactly how it would work.

But it seams that if there were a hollow layer in the earth, created by the liquid in the inner layers being slung outwards, and we drilled into it, It would be like opening the door on the gravitron while it was in motion. The whole thing would probably shake apart.

Oh. And, if you add an inch to a thing, it gets longer. and if you add a second to a day, it would get longer.
Beyond that, I was totally lost.

THE EARTH IS NOT HOLLOW!!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Often, we think of the earth's core as moving very fast, because the outer part of the earth is moving very fast. But if we cut the earth in half, and somehow it still remained together, and the half we are looking at still spins the same as it did, then it would look kind of like a record spinning on a record player. If you put your finger on the outer edge, while the record is playing, you can feel the record passing under your finger very quickly. But if you move your finger toward the center of the record you will feel that the record is moving very slowly compared to the outer edge. And even if there was a smaller record, ie. core, that was spinning just slightly faster than the area adjacent to it, it would still be slower than the outer regions.

This makes absolutely no sense. A record is just like the gravitron ride. It is slower in the center, faster on the outside. If the ride was slower on the outside you wouldn't stick to the wall...think about it.

[edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
sorry. I didn't realize the earth was officially a ball of iron. I thought there were molten liquid layers that would be subject to the effects of the torque of the cintrifical force.

just like the paint and dirt don't fly off the outside of the gravitron as the material on the inside is forced outwards.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by president
sorry. I didn't realize the earth was officially a ball of iron. I thought there were molten liquid layers that would be subject to the effects of the torque of the cintrifical force.

just like the paint and dirt don't fly off the outside of the gravitron as the material on the inside is forced outwards.

There is molten layers, but they are thick, like melted plastic, and you have two forces going on. One pushing outward, and one pushing inward. But they say the very center is solid, its solid because of all the tremendous squeezing forces on it. The gravitron is kind of a bad analogy though, for one its not in space and two the paint sticks to the side.

Edit to add: The center is like a liquid in a solid state kind of like hot ice. Its only solid because of the forces going on. Also if you hung on the outside of the gravitron you would be thrown off.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I believe we are talking about the same thing, but have crossed wires on the difference between rate of speed and rate of spin.

It takes the outer crust of the Earth about 24 hours to make a complete revolution, a day and night. And it takes about 24 hours for the first inch of the center of the Earth to also make a revolution.

However, you seem to agree with me that the inner part of the Earth has less centrifugal force, since its speed is indeed slower, though the rate of revolutions is the same.

"Definition of Centripetal Force

The word centripetal is from Latin and means "towards the center". The direction of the force is towards the center. Centripetal force "glues" a body to a circular path. Centripetal force describes how the force acts, not what force it is - so it could be from gravity or electromagnetic, or even the nuclear forces if the circular path is on the subatomic scale."

"Definition of Centrifugal Force

The word centrifugal is also from Latin, and it means "flee from the center". Newton's Third Law states that all forces have an equal and opposite reaction. Centrifugal force is a reaction to a centripetal force, and that's why you only need to consider centripetal force."

website quotes were taken from:

mechanical-physics.suite101.com...

Because our planet has gravity, and speed as it spins, both these forces are working on it. But gravity is obviously the winner, and we have to take in account the pressure that gravity is putting on the center of the Earth, enough pressure to turn charcoal into diamonds.

I really do like your question, though, and the thing is, how could the Earth, with all of this downward pressure, be hollow? As we get deeper and deeper into the ocean, our submarines have to be stronger and stronger, as you know, to take the increased pressure. Well imagine the pressure of not only water, but trillions if not quadrillions of tons of rock and lava was pushing down on you and your submersible? Is this not the same force that presses atoms so close together in stars that it begins fusing them together creating fusion reactions?

I would very much like to know what could withstand that pressure, and even more so, why it would be withstanding that pressure. What ever it is, it would have to be strong enough to fight the force of gravity. But then, we come to an interesting place, because just as speed is slower in the center of a spinning mass, so is gravity lesser. For if gravity is caused by the mass itself being greater than that of the masses around it, then at the center of the Earth, what would be pulling on it? In fact, the crust and above sources of mass have greater mass than that which is inside, so wouldn't gravity be working in reverse in that case? Wow, maybe the Earth is hollow after all?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Remember, there was a time we were convinced the earth was flat. To think of it as round was completely absurd. So, why not a hollow earth? It's a fun topic to entertain....intellectually anyway.

As an artist through and through, I tend to use feeling more so than thought, so I'm not educated enough in physics to explain how I feel these things are connected, but let me throw it up here for other intellectual minds to dissect.

I found this video not too long ago, and found it very interesting. For a long time (and you'll hear me repeat it here often), I have said that life is a reflection of itself on every level. From the way atoms are structured to the way the solar system works...they are all related and reflective of each other.

www.youtube.com...

So, what the issue of matter vs. antimatter? If the earth were to be seen as a single atom, then could the center reflect the presence of a black hole?

Like I said, I'm not educated in physics, I only have a highschool diploma, and all correlations I make are really based on "feelings" as opposed to "learned knowledge."

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
THE EARTH IS NOT HOLLOW!!!! I'm done with this thread, no one can seem to search the net for them selves and find out that the hollow earth is not that popular of a theory. have fun...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
hold on. So what you guys are saying is that the Earth is not spinning fast enough to create ENOUGH centrifucal force to effect the materials on the inside the Earth. And if itwas creating enough centrifical force to affect the material on the inside of the Earth, it would also have enough centrifical force to affect the materials on the outside of the Earth? (by slinging the rocks and the water and us through the atmosphere)

nu unh. If it were like that, I would have thought of that myself. You guys are stoopid.
jk.

but seriously, where DOES the gravity come from?
Exactly how far in do the particles start using gravity to attract to each other?
How big does the core have to be to produce enough gravity to keep the outer layers on?

add: if it does have a solid Iron core, not that I have any idea what holds iron particles together (how many particles are in 2 sq. ft. of iron vs. 200 sq. ft. of iron) Is the core larger than the moon?

[edit on 22-10-2009 by president]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but saying that the hollow earth theory is ridiculous is itself, ridiculous. We are talking about something that we have not observed, measured or examined. Saying that the earth is hollow, molten core, honeycomb (like a sponge) are all equally valid hypotheses when the simple truth is that we simply don't know.

Don't be fooled by the flock. The majority of our "scientific facts" are nothing more than our latest best guess that is constantly subject to change if new information is made available.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

Ok, think with logic people, If an asteroid as big as the one that killed the dinosaurs hit a hollow earth it would break apart like an egg(molten rock would be like the yolk). Common sense people, if that happened the earth would not be here today. Also think of the fact of how many huge ass asteroids have hit the earth in the past, this earth would be in pieces.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

reply to post by TheIrvy

Ok, think with logic people, If an asteroid as big as the one that killed the dinosaurs hit a hollow earth it would break apart like an egg(molten rock would be like the yolk). Common sense people, if that happened the earth would not be here today. Also think of the fact of how many huge ass asteroids have hit the earth in the past, this earth would be in pieces.

I seem to remember that it was once the commonly held opinion of astronomers that the moon had collided with the Earth, went through it, and then settled into orbit around it. It seems to me that if something hit the Earth as big as the moon, it would have dislodged the core entirely, and our planet should not exist at all. It does make me wonder, greatly so.

However, I don't think we are saying that the Earth is hollow. We are saying that the core may have a hollow place inside, at least that is what I am gathering from some of the posters here.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
After reading your post ,which I found interesting, it got me thinking which doesn't happen often.

My knowledge of physics being outshone by my abundance of stupidity, I am wondering could it be possible to somehow harness the heat and energy generated from the earth to sustain our needs rather than carry on destroying our planet as we do ?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyhee

reply to post by TheIrvy

I seem to remember that it was once the commonly held opinion of astronomers that the moon had collided with the Earth, went through it, and then settled into orbit around it. It seems to me that if something hit the Earth as big as the moon, it would have dislodged the core entirely, and our planet should not exist at all. It does make me wonder, greatly so.

However, I don't think we are saying that the Earth is hollow. We are saying that the core may have a hollow place inside, at least that is what I am gathering from some of the posters here.

It wasn't the moon that collided with the earth it was a mars sized planet that side swiped the planet and supposedly created the moon, and I'm obviously not talking about that far back, i said during the time of the dinosaurs. As far as a hollow place inside the inner core, if that's what was being talked about then that's what needed to be said. I just didn't gather that from any posts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join