It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar power for survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I have been doing some research into making more and more of my electrical needs solar and the thought that it would have it's advantages in Sit X came into my perpetually buzzing mind. However, with the whole system relying upon batteries for storage of power, is this a false hope? Would it be like a vehicle where it's a great thing to have while you have the fuel for it and be utterly unusable after, or is there ways people have found to keep this means of power perpetually working for them?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Ya, I have had the same thoughts too. What is the life of batteries? Or solar panels for that matter, I guess the best thing would not to be dependant on electricity.

Or learn how to make a Baghdad Battery

[edit on 10/19/2009 by JohnnyR]

to fix link

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
For me I'll be upgrading my BOV with 2 big trojan battery's and recharged from solar panels and the engine battery.
So diesel and solar will be working hand-in-hand.
Diesel is unlikely to run out as quickly as the doom mongers make out.
Less vehicles use diesel and it keeps for a lot longer too.
It's also stored more than petrol is...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Also, can't diesel engines run on bio fuel easier? So if thats the case you could possibly make you own fuel...

Also, what are Trojan Batteries? I was thinking maybe a forklift battery might be a good choice?

Edit for one more question

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Diesel is easier to bio fuel as I've been told. But then again, my my 1980 Chevy small block will run off Vodka so I'm sure any powerplant could be modified.

As far as the batteries, most use a deep cycle style of battery to store the power. These are not bad, but in my experiance need to have their water checked quite a bit. Unless you foot the bill for the solar power batteries. They are substancially more expensive. As far as their reliability... We'll have to get someone with better knowledge than I.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyR

The deep-cycle battery that you'll typically get with a pv system will last anywhere from 5-10 years. You can also get industrial grade batteries which will last closer to 15-20 years. Panels themselves are normally warrant[ied?] for about 20-25 years but like anything if you maintain them they will be able to last much longer.

edit: HOWEVER, this is where the future of solar is at:

www.dailytech.com...

my company is trying to get a contract for these :] hooray tech!

[edit on 10/19/09 by CSquared288]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Batteries run out, if you want longer life storage then grab some supercapacitors. They obviously cannot hold the charge that batteries can, but they are fast to recharge, last a very long time and can be fully discharged without damage, unlike batteries.

The electricity could be stored maybe by splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen if you want a longer term solution. You will lose some of the energy in doing this but it is easy enough to make such a system yourself.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Depending on what your going to be trying to run off it?

I use a solar panel about 11" x 18" and keep the adaptors for my phone and laptop with me, on float trips, 7-9 days-had no problems!

Did need to limit my use on PC alittle though, 4-6 hours a day...

And if it rains or you flip the boat, well your just kinda "in a tight spot"

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Batteries will last for yonks if you look after them.

With the diddy maint. free ones (75 Amp Hrs) all you are getting are battery's that are sealed up and useless for maintaining when the liquid levels drop. These are not deep cell batteries and are good for jump starting your BOV and light use.

The daddies for our sort of game are the 175 amp hr ++ batteries. These will usually be top up types.

The key is to buy the ones that allow you to top them up with water (distilled) as what happens is the battery's plates get clogged with chemical matter. This is no problem as during a charge cycle the battery will 'cook' off the debris on the plates. The drawback is that the lead acid levels will drop over the course of charge/discharge cycles. But this isn't a drawback as long as the levels are maintained
The life of the battery is a long one indeed with this method.
Much longer than the sealed ones that are untouchable once the levels drop too low.

For the hefty 40 kilo plus battery's you are looking at 20 plus years easily. More so if you aren't using them all the time

Here:

www.trojanbattery.com...

www.batterymegastore.co.uk...!12_Volt

[edit on 19-10-2009 by WatchRider]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
One possibility would to build a system that utilizes solar power for immediate usage as well as to move water to a higher elevation for storing via a pump, and to use micro-hydro to generate power on demand during the dark hours.

Same could be done with wind.

Just an idea off the top of my head. I know you'll lose efficiency by running through multiple systems, but if we get knocked back to the stone age, it's better than nothing.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Look there are numerous systems you could emply,i suggest a mixture would be good.

Firstly use capacitors. These quickly discharge their stored power.

Secondly you can emply a system that seperates water into oxygen and hydrogen, this can be used in a generator.

The third is slightly unconventional but you can pump liquid up to a high area and then store it. When you need energy it falls down, turning a proeller and producing energy.

Many of these systems mean you lose energy, especially the third system but for storage they are all good in combination. I doubt they could run say a fridge long term but they could provide light to LED lamps and hot water occasionally.

Oh you should deffinately invest in solar water heaters, depending on where you are in the world.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
For batteries that last a long time and can take abuse nickel iron Edison batteries are the only way to go but are expensive.

www.beutilityfree.com...
wapedia.mobi...

I have used edison batteries in mining equipment that were still charging at 100% after 50 years.

I wish i had a few million dollars to build a factory to build them.
I would corner the market on a battery that would out last the owners and that was built to be rebuilt cheaply if it did go bad.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

All this info makes me want to go and build/design a power system. Build a prototype home thats small and efficient enough to only use the systems discussed here. Seems with a little planning and fore thought it could be done.

Using the right lights, appliances etc. Maybe start with a travel trailer first and then move to a more stationary contruction.

Anyone want to help

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Man, they are expensive.
Wonder why?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyR

My friend, this kind of setup would require a great deal of technical knowledge, a great deal of effort, some money and even then you would often be left without power.

This is currently the problem, we the peasants are in the grip of those who supply power. If you have a large amount of money than you can provide for yourself but if you have children than the government will see anyone living off the grid as a child abuser. This is the sad fact of life. If you choose to live off of the grid then you MUSt ne hiding something.

I wish you the best of luck.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

First off if you start thinking alternate energy instead of just "solar energy" you be better off.

Using A variety of methods you can easily create enough options to get off the grid to what ever degree you like.

Solar,Wind and Micro hydro together can be quite reliable.

There is a few alternate energy links in my thread if you would like to explore. You'll find it is a good reference.
What a great resource for ATS survival ?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Thank you. I agree; employing more than one type of energy is better, however, in a state where wind is rare and with little running water in the area... There leaves little option. Also, my draw to solar is the advances being made in the field.

On top of that; I don't want to be chilling in the woods during Sit X and have a stranger happen upon my water generator and follow the bright orange cord back to my hide out

Perhaps in a more dosile enviornment with more running water and wind it would be more plausable.

I did help a friend build a hydroelectric water wheel. That thing put off lots of energy. Enough to run his house!

top topics

join