It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Freedom vs Animal Cruelty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
On Saturday the 17th of October, Hindu's celebrated their Festival of Light known as Diwali. I don't know about other parts of the world, but here in South Africa, it's become a Festival of Noise. Hindus throughout the country set of firecrackers as their way of celebrating.

Every year my local newspaper reports the hundreds of dogs and cats that went missing during this evening. Some animals run away and are knocked over by cars or lose their way, rendering them strays. Some animals panic so much they run through glass sliding doors etc.

Every year there is a public outcry and every year the Hindu's say "Under the apartheid government we were oppressed and now we will be heard whether you like it or not". I don't understand this mentality...Yes, apartheid was stupid and wrong, but why do the animals have to suffer?

There are many peaceful ways to celebrate this day without pyrotechnic displays, such as decorating houses in lights, walking through the streets with candles, laser light displays, etc.

It is now Monday, the 19th and tonight they are STILL setting off firecrackers. Is it their religious right to set of crackers 2 days later as well, I wonder?

I've been seriously considering some vigilante justice. My husbands trigger finger on his pepper spray gun is itching badly.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yeah we do this in america every year on the fourth of july and we do not have much of a problem with it. You know it happens every year so keep your animals inside. What does this have to do with conspiracy in religion, it reads more like a BTS rant.
You got a link to this story about hundreads of animals going missing due to this festival?
Im pretty sure law is maintained in south africa so firecrackers are legal or illegal. If you want to go out and pepper spray people for setting off firecrackers because it upsets your animals so much you should move to an area without celebrations that involve firecrackers.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I was almost expecting this to be about the Santerian practice of animal sacrifice as part of their religion, not about the consequential effects on animals becoming scared and running away, becoming lost strays, because of pyrotechnic displays at a religious festival.

Americans have a deep-seeded love affair with their pets, spending far more money on our pets than we do with our children, and don't even question bringing up federal legislation granting universal pet health care when we hotly debate universal health care for our citizens. We also love our fireworks more than most. I'm sure that an argument could be levied about the harm that 4th of July fireworks have on pets, but despite how much we love our pets more than we love our children, you'd be hard pressed to find an American who will argue that 4th of July fireworks have to go as they are a form of "animal cruelty".

So, it would seem with this Hindi festival in South Africa.

Pet owners in South Africa should be better, more responsible owners, keeping their pets indoors during this Hindi festival to ensure that they do not get scared from the firework displays and run away.

It's not like the Hindis are causing direct harm or putting animals in harm's way by celebrating their religious holiday with fireworks. The effect it has on animals is circumstantial and collateral, not direct. Therefore, it isn't directly to blame.

To be honest, it sounds more like politically motivated rhetoric coming from the old-guard anti-Hindi in South Africa than being a legitimate concern.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

No I don't have a link because it's in the local newspaper.

Firecrackers are illegal in suburbia but the law is not enforced.

There is no area in SA, that does not have Hindus.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Actually this is not an uncommon problem. In fact, I have black cats. Right around halloween I keep them inside. All the weird old school people actualy think black cats are evil. While after some persistent howling for food might lead me to this conclusion for a moment, there is no reason to attack black cats.

warning: this story made me bawl

please remember ninja

The reason I bring this up is that during celebrations such as these, the animals just may get it.

But back to the poster. In the US, fireworks are rampant on fourth of july. But everyone basically brings their pets inside and keep them in quiet parts of the house. Maybe that is the mantra you need to bring up.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
To be honest, it sounds more like politically motivated rhetoric coming from the old-guard anti-Hindi in South Africa than being a legitimate concern.

Perhaps it might sound that way, but it's not because the same outcry is heard on November 5, when all those of British descent, celebrate Guy Fawkes

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by the siren

Well looking for a place that does not have fire crackers is very different than looking for a place that does not have hindus. If you just want a hindu free area try North Korea. If that is too much maybe the aussie outback or antartica there are no hindus there and land is cheap.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
warning: this story made me bawl

please remember ninja

That's extremely disturbing.

Originally posted by nixie_nox
But back to the poster. In the US, fireworks are rampant on fourth of july. But everyone basically brings their pets inside and keep them in quiet parts of the house. Maybe that is the mantra you need to bring up.

I agree common sense is needed among pet owners, but this isn't always possible. For example, where I live there are a lot of plots (small farms) with horses, and every year some horses end up injuring themselves from the panic.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I am wondering two things at this point:

1. As was already mentioned, if these cats and dogs were not strays before, and this is a reoccurring event (and problem), then why are the owners not keeping the pets inside an inclosure during fireworks?

2. Is this issue unique to South America? I live in the States myself and I would be curious to know if something similar happens over here during the 4th of July celebration...or other parts of the World for that matter.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

Well looking for a place that does not have fire crackers is very different than looking for a place that does not have hindus. If you just want a hindu free area try North Korea. If that is too much maybe the aussie outback or antartica there are no hindus there and land is cheap.

Dude, don't turn it around and make it sound like I have issues with living with Hindus. You're the one who said I should move some place that doesn't have firecrackers. All I'm trying to say is that where there are Hindus, Diwali will be celebrated, and that means firecrackers.

And why should I move when they are the ones breaking the law?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by silver tongue devil
1. As was already mentioned, if these cats and dogs were not strays before, and this is a reoccurring event (and problem), then why are the owners not keeping the pets inside an inclosure during fireworks?

Those with foresight and small enough pets (ie not horses) do keep their pets indoors.

2. Is this issue unique to South America? I live in the States myself and I would be curious to know if something similar happens over here during the 4th of July celebration...or other parts of the World for that matter.

South Africa. I'm interested to know as well.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

There is no area in SA, that does not have Hindus.

That is what you said.
I am sayin you should move because apparently there is a large hindu population that celibrates their festival. You are the one talking about pepper spraying people for setting off fireworks. If i had to choose a neighbor that celebrates with firecrackers once a year and a neighbor who wants to pepper spray people who upset their animals guess who i would choose.

www.examiner.com... s

and

ezinearticles.com...

google, use it

[edit on 19-10-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Sorry I knew and meant to say South Africa

I was reading about Brazil when I responded.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I am sayin you should move because apparently there is a large hindu population that celibrates their festival. You are the one talking about pepper spraying people for setting off fireworks. If i had to choose a neighbor that celebrates with firecrackers once a year and a neighbor who wants to pepper spray people who upset their animals guess who i would choose.

The difference between them and me is I havn't broken the law...yet

www.examiner.com... s
and
ezinearticles.com...
google, use it

The first link gives a 404.
The second link is at least constructive advice, but for horse owners to do so, they would have to break the law themselves...although I suppose they could take their horses out of suburbia.

Sorry I knew and meant to say South Africa

I was reading about Brazil when I responded.

No problem

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

www.examiner.com...
try that one i do not know why it will not link right.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

How is this unique to Hinduism? This happens every 4th of July in America. Guy Fawkes day in England. And then there's New Years Eve; oh and Chinese New Year. And I'm sure there are more holidays I'm not aware of.

Maybe Diwali is more prevalent where you live, but you don't go discussing it's effects on animals as "animal cruelty" and specifically targeting Hindus like they're the only people on earth who annually set off fireworks.

What I'm trying to say is, why is this in Conspiracies in Religion? Your problem should be with the fireworks, not the Hindus; but it sure doesn't look that way.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Core90

I agree with you, I don't see this as connected to the Hindu community. The issue is with the use of fireworks in celebration.

Perhaps this was intended as a rant against the Hindus in SA and not in defense of the animals. Starting to seem that way.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Core90

I agree with you, I don't see this as connected to the Hindu community. The issue is with the use of fireworks in celebration.

Perhaps this was intended as a rant against the Hindus in SA and not in defense of the animals. Starting to seem that way.

Not so much.

It's bad enough that the animals have to crap themselves every Guy Fawkes and New Years Eve but lighting firecrackers on Diwali is not even a part of their culture - they are just doing it to prove a point and it's the animals who suffer.

Diwali or Dīpāvali[1] (Sanskrit: दीपावलि: a row of lamps[2]) is a significant festival in Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Jainism, and an official holiday in India and Nepal.[3] Adherents of these religions celebrate Diwali as the Festival of Lights.
They light diyas—cotton string wicks inserted in small clay pots filled with oil—to signify victory of good over the evil within an individual.

source

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Core90
Maybe Diwali is more prevalent where you live, but you don't go discussing it's effects on animals as "animal cruelty" and specifically targeting Hindus like they're the only people on earth who annually set off fireworks.

I'm discussing fireworks in the context of Diwali because IT JUST HAPPENED. And it went on for 3 days.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
3 days?
I thought Diwali lasts for 10 days?
I like Diwali.

As long as I remember, Diwali had (at least) those sticks that light up and fizzle and spark...not sure what they're called. They probably have fireworks too.

*Babloyi got nice sweets this year*

top topics

<<   2 >>

join