It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vehicle theft rate hits 20-year low

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
source

Reported vehicle theft has fallen to a 20-year low even as the number of vehicles on the road has doubled, as manufacturers install sophisticated anti-theft technology in cars and police target organized car-theft rings.

The FBI estimates 956,846 motor vehicles were stolen in 2008 — 315 cars for every 100,000 people. That's less than half the rate in 1991, when a high of 1.66 million vehicles were stolen — 659 for every 100,000 people. Data for 2009 are not yet available.

Oh, it is technology that has lowered car thefts. I guess that is one way to look at it. Myself, I would say that the fact that a greater number of people are at home due to being unemployed coupled with the dramatic increase in gun sales would have more to do with theft prevention to the criminal mind than GPS and ignition inhibitors.

Why the post to political madness? Just a hunch that the conversation will devolve to political commentary. Of it being either a feather or a thorn in Obama's cap depending on how those choose to spin the article.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
they cant afford to run them.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
well if your sitting at home unemployed and buy a gun you can be damn sure that the criminal who never had a job and needs to eat also has a gun and its probably better then yours because since he is a criminal his gun is his only tool. not everything is a conspiracy.

look at cars today that have on-star. those cars can be turned off remotely which i see as a conspiracy. TSHTF and suddenly your car doesn't work so you cant run anywhere but i digress. anyway the point is technology in car safety has come a long way. 20 years ago you can break into a car and steal everything in it and take out the engine without setting off a single alarm.

today a loud motorcycle or someone brushing against your car sets it off. its all about how you look at things.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Myself, I would say that the fact that a greater number of people are at home due to being unemployed coupled with the dramatic increase in gun sales would have more to do with theft prevention to the criminal mind than GPS and ignition inhibitors.

Well, alot of people have had guns for along time now. I don't think the recent rise in gun sales decreased the criminal activity in suburbs.

But as for the number of people being home, yeah that sounds about right.
Although, it seems that criminals don't care if you are home or not. They will still steal your car.

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
...technology in car safety has come a long way.

Agreed.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Personally, I think that the loss in value of cars has the most to do with it. It wasn't too long ago that it was not uncommon for an normal driveway to have one, if not two, $40,000 cars in the driveway. Many of those were SUV's. Many are now worth 1/4th of what they once were. Many more people have traded in thsoe cars for cheaper, more economical ones.

No value=No market. The interesting thing would be to see what area theft has gone up in.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I think some of this is due to police departments using 21st tech in using bait car cars to catch the bad guys.. I know here in Albuquerque the cops use them and they seen to be very effective....

Bait Car Live
The Integrated Municipal Provincial Auto Crime Team (IMPACT) is serving notice that we are turning up the heat on car thieves with the introduction of new ‘Bait Car Live’ technology in all of our Bait Cars. ‘Bait Car Live’ now provides for live audio and video feed which is viewed in real time by the police dispatcher. The dispatcher will immediately be able to tell the police over the radio how many occupants there are, their descriptions, whether they have any weapons and what other crimes they are talking about.

This is a huge benefit for police officer safety and a great tool to gather information and intelligence before the suspects are arrested. To show you how dangerous it can be for the police when attempting to stop a stolen car, we have put together a montage of 3 separate bait car videos that really speak for themselves.

Link to Bait Car

top topics

join