It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic pattern to UK tree growth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

The growth of British trees appears to follow a cosmic pattern, with trees growing faster when high levels of cosmic radiation arrive from space. Researchers made the discovery studying how growth rings of spruce trees have varied over the past half a century. As yet, they cannot explain the pattern, but variation in cosmic rays impacted tree growth more than changes in temperature or precipitation. The study is published in the scientific journal New Phytologist.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/410236c7904b.jpg[/atsimg]

Link to Article

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is really interesting. I wonder what else is affected by cosmic rays/solar radiation. Could this have some ageing affects on humans or quite possibly make any alterations to Human DNA.....

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by booda

This is really interesting. I wonder what else is affected by cosmic rays/solar radiation. Could this have some ageing affects on humans or quite possibly make any alterations to Human DNA.....

Very interesting indeed, I shall give you a flag on my way out.

I have been reading a little bit about the Geminga shockwave that hit earth around 50,000 years ago, in evolutionary terms around the time that we got all technological.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by shamhat]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
thanks - not heard of the Gemina Shockwave - could you provide a link as googling Gemina Shockwave isnt bringing anything.....

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by booda

thanks - not heard of the Gemina Shockwave - could you provide a link as googling Gemina Shockwave isnt bringing anything.....

That would be because I am a doofus and initially mis-spelled it (I have since returned and corrected the error).

It is Geminga.

www.esa.int...

Edit to add more links:

www.nature.com...

www.nytimes.com...

adsabs.harvard.edu...

[edit on 19-10-2009 by shamhat]

top topics

join