It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

spider! leave my house! *shivers*

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'm afraid of two things: closed spaces and spiders.
The first one is easy to avoid, but the second one......

So each year around this time I find them in the house and they freak me out. (I'll stand on the street for hours if one is blocking my way inside!)
I don't care much for the little ones, but the bigger species, like those that come out of the sewers, the creepy black ones, the size of a hand with the thick legs...jeez! keep them away from me!

So for years I'm trying to find something that keeps them out of the house, I don't want to use chemicals because of my pets and other then that I never found a solution.

Today I found an 'old wives' trick and I wonder if anyone tried it.
It says to put 'Conkers' in the corners of the house, make a few cuts in them so the fluids will give off a scent and it will keep the creepies outside.

now I'm dutch and I had to look up what a conker was. Does it mean the whole thing with the nut and the shell? Or is it the shell only?
And which one, the wild one or the tame one?

I'll try this and hope it works

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I just use a big shoe...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

big shoe? Me no can do...
When my spiders see the big shoe they go in attack mode, lifting they front legs (with claws and everything!) and they grow huge fangs... me run!...

I'm such a chicken:bnghd:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

but the shoe, not to mention YOU are bigger than the spider right?
just squish em...
I know I'm so mean.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

as odd as it may sound, I can't squish them.... my brain doesn't know how to do that, LOL

I still don't know what "conkers" are.....

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Those!... I'm gonna guess it's just the mahogany coloured 'nut' in the middle.

It's the seed of the horse-chestnut tree

No idea if it will work but if it makes you feel better go for it!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
I'm afraid of two things: closed spaces and spiders.
The first one is easy to avoid, but the second one......

Well dont ever come here...

We got some big, venemous and aggresive spiders here

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Those!... I'm gonna guess it's just the mahogany coloured 'nut' in the middle.

It's the seed of the horse-chestnut tree

No idea if it will work but if it makes you feel better go for it!

Sheesh! look at the spines on that thing! more dangerous than the spider...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
So you're afraid of spiders eh?

Uh... Boo!

Spiders don't usually live very long unless they're able to feed on something, remove their food supply and they go away to.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

ah thanks, we have those... that would be the wild ones, the ones you can't eat...
gonna get some tomorrow and try it out

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Im scared stiff of them, can't even hit them most of the time because I think they are gonna jump at me or something, I swear they stare you out

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Sit one down and make it read ATS, it will either leave or join up.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
I don't care much for the little ones, but the bigger species, like those that come out of the sewers, the creepy black ones, the size of a hand with the thick legs...jeez! keep them away from me!

I know these guys! These guys are the ones that run around at breakneck speeds and can turn that fast on a dime! Talk about UFO agility!!

I'm absolutely terrified for these critters. How do I get rid of them? If you got good aim, those small multi-color rubber bands will take care of them easily. I'm talking of taking them out with rubber bands at a good distance...

But I don't do it anymore.. Love life! (Even if that life can scare you to death!). Now I hate death more than anything, more than I'm afraid of them critters.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I pick 'em up and put them back outside. Spiders eat
flies and that for me, is a reason to let 'em live.

However, I know of people's fear of these things, and all
I can say is the spider is more scared of you than you are of it.
You have a fear of it walking along your arm with it's hairy legs.
The spider's fear is that you'll end it's life by walking all over it!

They live fast gunslinger lives, think of it as a guard against
all the other creepy-crawlies that invade from outside.

Also, they eat ant princesses that fly off to make other ant colonies,
ants... now there's a damn problem!

[edit on 22-10-2009 by A boy in a dress]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Your not making a very good case to visit Belgium. Now it is a struggle: spider or chocolate, spiders or chocolate.

No offense Gyps, but if your standing outside for hours, that is called a disorder and you need to see someone on it.

Solve the problem why the spiders are there. They need a food source. They don't show up where there is nothing to eat. Like everyhome, you have probably had the little locals move in. The spiders move in to eat them. Go over your home and fill in any nook and cranny you can find. Find a safe safe fumegator, and kill all at once.

I don't know if you have it there but here we have a product called Home Defense. You spray it around the perimeter of the house. And it is supposed to be less dangerous then other sprays. But I dunno. I sprayed it on a pumpkin vine and it died several weeks later.

But it works great, and even kept out carpenter ants.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Everything where you live is big and venemous!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by valiant
Im scared stiff of them, can't even hit them most of the time because I think they are gonna jump at me or something, I swear they stare you out

yes they do...
I'm sure they do, with all the 8 eyes!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk

I know these guys! These guys are the ones that run around at breakneck speeds and can turn that fast on a dime! Talk about UFO agility!!

I'm absolutely terrified for these critters. How do I get rid of them? If you got good aim, those small multi-color rubber bands will take care of them easily. I'm talking of taking them out with rubber bands at a good distance...

But I don't do it anymore.. Love life! (Even if that life can scare you to death!). Now I hate death more than anything, more than I'm afraid of them critters.

haha I'm not gonna try that, if I mis they go running off
besides, I can't look at them long enough to get a good aim

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress
I pick 'em up and put them back outside. Spiders eat
flies and that for me, is a reason to let 'em live.

However, I know of people's fear of these things, and all
I can say is the spider is more scared of you than you are of it.
You have a fear of it walking along your arm with it's hairy legs.
The spider's fear is that you'll end it's life by walking all over it!

They live fast gunslinger lives, think of it as a guard against
all the other creepy-crawlies that invade from outside.

Also, they eat ant princesses that fly off to make other ant colonies,
ants... now there's a damn problem!

[edit on 22-10-2009 by A boy in a dress]

I saw a docu on spiders last week, and the expert said that they are NOT afraid of us, that's just a myth to sooth our minds with. They are very comfortable in our homes, if they where afraid they wouldn't come in.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Your not making a very good case to visit Belgium. Now it is a struggle: spider or chocolate, spiders or chocolate.

No offense Gyps, but if your standing outside for hours, that is called a disorder and you need to see someone on it.

Solve the problem why the spiders are there. They need a food source. They don't show up where there is nothing to eat. Like everyhome, you have probably had the little locals move in. The spiders move in to eat them. Go over your home and fill in any nook and cranny you can find. Find a safe safe fumegator, and kill all at once.

I don't know if you have it there but here we have a product called Home Defense. You spray it around the perimeter of the house. And it is supposed to be less dangerous then other sprays. But I dunno. I sprayed it on a pumpkin vine and it died several weeks later.

But it works great, and even kept out carpenter ants.

chocolate! always chocolate!

I don't have a disorder, just a phobia. And to be honest, I thought of getting therapy for this, but then most therapists use a confrontation method so, I don't think I'm up for that just yet...

as for the spray, I can't use that with my pets.
I guess the spiders are in the house all the time, only in the fall they come in plain sight because it's mating season... so if you see one, a second one will come soon , they follow the scent of other spiders.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join