It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billions in unclaimed bonds date to World War II

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Billions in unclaimed bonds date to World War II

news.yahoo.com

The federal government is facing a lawsuit over billions in unclaimed bonds that date back to the patriotic fundraising efforts of World War II, leading to a showdown between states who say they should be given the money and a Treasury Department that claims ownership.

The state attorneys general suing the Treasury Department charge that the federal government made no effort to find those people. They want the money given to the states, who have a legal system in place for finding the owners of unclaimed funds.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Im not too familiar with what happens to bonds but I believe they should find the rightful owners of the money and let the families have it. I dont think the govt needs anymore money that isnt theirs.

Why wouldnt someone claim them? Why are they still there? Is this common with savings bonds? Does anyone know how they work and if the govt is able to take them?

If this is in the wrong place move it. I wasnt sure what forum to put it in.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Anyone? Does anyone understand these bonds? I am really wondering what is going to happen with all that money. The govt doesnt need anymore!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

If they really wanted to find the rightful owners of the bonds they could, it would be a huge task but they still could do it.

It reminds me of the Jewish billions in Swiss banks from WW2, if I remember correctly they were forced to return them as well.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
i think that even those bonds would fall under the term 'Unclaimed Property'

i try to search the Michigan, Pa, W. Va, DC, NC, AZ, SC state depositories of Unclaimed Property at least once a year... to see if I or any relatives have stuff like stocks, bank accounts, bonds, etc etc just lying there unclaimed.

i once found that the 4 shares of a telephone co-op i was a member of were valued at $50., i got the shares when i became a member at no cost,
so it's worth looking into, especially now with the www. resource

i can see the States claim that there is a method in place to return property to owners...
and the property (bonds in this case) should not be hidden in the US Treasury vaults

[edit on 19-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I know its like they are just lazy and want it for themselves. It belongs to someone, find them and give it to them.

new topics

top topics

join