It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delaware Catholic Diocese Files Bankruptcy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Delaware Catholic Diocese Files Bankruptcy

www.cbsnews.com

A high-profile sex abuse case that was set to start Monday against Delaware's Catholic Diocese of Wilmington and a former priest will be delayed after the church filed for federal bankruptcy protection.

The bankruptcy filing late Sunday automatically delays the case in Kent County Superior Court, the first of eight consecutive abuse trials scheduled in Delaware.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.foxnews.com
www.cbsnews.com
www.ledgerdelaware.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Catholic Child Abuse Report Out Today.
Sexual freaks hiding under the cloak of religion
Australian Archdiocese admits 40 year old abuse.
Documentary claims Pope in child abuse cover-up

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
A former priest, now defrocked, was jailed for repeatedly sexually abusing his grandnephew. Francis DeLuca now has over 30 people claiming to have been abused by him and there's over 50 others with reports of other priests.

The diocese is bankrupting itself rather than come good with the cash to pay for it's mistakes.

Thomas Neuberger, an attorney representing 88 alleged victims, said the diocese's action may mean some sick and ageing victims — some who claim they were abused when they were as young as 8 — could die before getting their day in court.

It will also tie up important documents and potentially critical evidence as bankruptcy gets priority and the alleged abuse cases will get postponed.

It's alleged that the diocese has paid more than $6.2 million since 2002 to settle sexual abuse lawsuits outside of court and the Catholic church itself has spent upwards of $2.6 billion since 1950.

To me it's unclear why the Vatican proper doesn't foot the bill, but I'm sure they've sorted out the franchise so that they aren't accountable for anything done in their name.

The whole affair is very uncatholic and reeks of absolute corruption.

Any and all thoughts are welcome, I can't reply back however due to posting restrictions upon my account - but know I am reading them and I'm sure my sentiment will be shared by other members.

-m0r

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
well they should seize ownership of all catholic property and sell it off....
it makes me sick to the pit of my stomach how the catholic church puts money before the welfare of its people...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I second the comment by fatdad - if an institution goes bankrupt, do they not forfeit the property to their debtors?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

it's alleged that the diocese has paid more than $6.2 million

It's not alleged, it is fact. (according to the article)

Anyone know what the statute of limitations is for child abuse cases in Delaware?

It's a shame they'll be no criminal charges. Being defrocked doesn't mean anything. Might lead to some taking the law into their own hands. If it were your child who got abused, would you?

Personally, I might re-circumcised a few abusers. I had no idea there was a statue of limitation on child abuse.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Yes, but the plaintiffs are not debtors yet.

They'll only become debtors once they go to court and win a settlement.

top topics

join