It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Nightmarish' blob-like robot unveiled in US

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The NWO is a long way off. The things they do now in Robotics are going to be seeing their full potential later. Robots arent included in the human rights declaration so they dont have to obey them.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Three million dollars?

Couldn't this same exact thing be done with a few air bladders and some servos to pump some air.

Maybe I'm just not seeing something, but doesn't it move simply by expanding one side while deflating the other?

I have to start applying for government research grants... Oh, what I could make with three million dollars. Or make it with 100,000 and pocket the rest.....

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Primordial

a soccer ball bladder i would imagine is where they got the idea from.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder
. . . . for goodness sakes

What is the deal ats'ers did we just decide to stop searching for topics before we post? this is second thread in 2 days that someone has bitten from me.

i dont understand why i post something someone bites it then it hops to the main board. . . 2 times in 2 days call it sour grapes i guess

www.abovetopsecret.com...

remember there is a search button up there

[edit on 19-10-2009 by constantwonder]

the worst part is that you have no responses whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by memoir
reply to post by total_slacker

I for one welcome our new fluid like blob overlords.

Beat me to that one. I hope your a Register reader too!

Hehe

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I also think this would be good for roving enviromental disasters, earthquakes to find victims buried etc, and even Mars.
A caterpillar like action would avoid wheels and breaks etc, they can also send this to the moon to go into a crevice instead of bombing it to see if there is water.....

I think we have a new robot rover.
Wheels are sooooooooo B.C

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by exposethosesecrets

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by exposethosesecrets
It's funded by DARPA?

Bad news, as that means it's ultimate purpose is to kill, maim and destroy.

It's so cavalier of you to besmirch DARPA, all the while making heavy use of the technology (the Internet) which they effectively pioneered. So if you have a distaste of DARPA, please unplug your PC immediately, just to be fair.

As a taxpayer, I paid for it.

I can besmirch DARPA all day long on my PC, as it still is a free country (sorta)

You paid for it?

With all.. what... all 0.0005 cents of that 3.3 million dollars?

You might as well say you own whoever you've let "keep the change".

You're delusional.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Noooooooo not the rubbery volleyballs!! Dear God, run for the hills! At a cost of only millions it's just a matter of time before we are overrun with the little bastards. First they will rape our women and children and then the horses, yes the horses will be raped, and the goats, and the chickens, and the sheep. The humanity. Our only chance is to change into our swimwear and attack them with icepicks.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

WOW...That is some crazy cool stuff. Thanks for sharing, S/F...

It is absolutely amazing the pace and level at which our technology is advancing. For some reason when I saw this robot I thought of the "spider robots" in iRobot, which could slide under doors and such. One aspect I would like to bring up is a perspective on a comparison to just the technology we are shown today, as compared to the likely technology of an alien civilization conceivably 1,000 years or more advanced than us. I don't think I need say anything more than look at the technological difference from 1959 to 2009.
....Multiply that by 1,000....

We may truly have the classic "sci-fi world" many envisioned in the 50s to be available by 2000 within the next 30-50 years. This is TRULY amazing, thanks again zazzafrazz for sharing this GREAT news.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Cool... I could use that to plug a hole in my leaky exhaust system!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Primordial
Three million dollars?

Couldn't this same exact thing be done with a few air bladders and some servos to pump some air.

Maybe I'm just not seeing something, but doesn't it move simply by expanding one side while deflating the other?

Yes, but no. What you're not noticing is that the "skin" is made up of a substance that (when a certain voltage runs through it) is rigid and immovable and when a different voltage hits it becomes flexible. It's really an intriguing device and could have a lot of applications (from self-fixing tires to a host of other things including search and rescue robots and underwater exploration robots... or exploring (if you like) all the passageways in the Great Pyramid at Giza (or lesser pyramids.)

I think it's a fun little thing, myself (but... since I teach robotics, I also own about 30 robots, so I'm a bit biased towards the gadgets.)

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

20 robots! pls show them on ATS!!!!

Its more than just inflate and deflate as you say, "jamming" not a dance move as I thought, in robotics is a process where material can transition from liquid like to solid state. Kewl.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

over 3 million dollars for a kids toy...ace!
i cant think what else they would do with it...it reminds me of a lung.

Better "robotic" tires for automobiles, exploration spacecraft skin exoskeleton (ground mobile units), weird clothes and fashion, better special effects monster movies, better and safer luggage, better handcuffs, weird lingerie, better helmets, better airbags or should I say robotic slime bags. Search and rescue robots that can also become dildoes.

Lets face it!
Robotic slime will be the future!

The creators of the robot are now working towards putting sensors on its body and giving it the ability to connect to other Chembots.

They might also be able to connect and conquer the world!
Ugly bags of mostly water vs ugly bags of mostly slime...ah the suspense..who gets to win.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by spacebot]

Originally posted by Roadblockx
I would caution those that are looking at this thing as innocent, lacking in "usefulness" or generally writing it off as something not to pay attention to, in the "wrong hands", you are witnessing something that may be the missing piece to someone else's war machine.

A crawling explosive device that can think for itself.
OMG! That's even weirder that Terminator!

[edit on 19-10-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by Primordial
Three million dollars?

Yes, but no. What you're not noticing is that the "skin" is made up of a substance that (when a certain voltage runs through it) is rigid and immovable and when a different voltage hits it becomes flexible. It's really an intriguing device and could have a lot of applications (from self-fixing tires to a host of other things including search and rescue robots and underwater exploration robots... or exploring (if you like) all the passageways in the Great Pyramid at Giza (or lesser pyramids.)

I think it's a fun little thing, myself (but... since I teach robotics, I also own about 30 robots, so I'm a bit biased towards the gadgets.)

Yes, I understand the technology used is interesting. I was just pointing out that this technology isn't needed for it's stated purpose. For probably less that $100 dollars you could make something that accomplishes the same goal.

I really wouldn't call it a blob either, more like a soccer ball where each panel could be individually inflated or deflated while the inside pressure could be controlled.

I could think of more interesting things to use this technology for. Isn't there a similar idea being used for body armor.... a soft material that becomes rigid?

[edit on 19-10-2009 by Primordial]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by KissMyBass

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Oh great,

Now they have yet another way to watch us masturbate.

I wonder how many of us will get on you tube this way hrmmmmmmmm

3 million bucks just to do that? I would let them watch me, film it, and put it on youboob for 5 bucks. No chem bot required, just safety goggles.

. . . i dont even know what to say other than
no thanks. . .

The search and rescue capabilities are what interest me the most. . . building and mine collapses come to mind aswell as avalanche and terra slides. The idea is to make the robot be able to fit into spaces smaller than itself not just roll around. . .

all you doubters try and remember that this is in its early stages and the video and article clearly say that development is ongoing. . .

i sure am glad that all the digital future naysayers didn't effect the fact that it happened and now we have all these amazing things.

to those at iRobot who are working on this. . never mind the narrowminded shortsighted naysayers

[edit on 19-10-2009 by constantwonder]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by KissMyBass

Originally posted by KissMyBass Originally posted by mopusvindictus Oh great, Now they have yet another way to watch us masturbate. I wonder how many of us will get on you tube this way hrmmmmmmmm 3 million bucks just to do that? I would let them watch me, film it, and put it on youboob for 5 bucks. No chem bot required, just safety goggles.

Id pay you 3 million to never ever post that thought again.
Keep your private inflatables and deflatables outa my super cool robotic blob thread.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
OH noes here comes to blob robo !

zazz will you save me? i know you have special power!

good thread snf

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Primordial

I could think of more interesting things to use this technology for. Isn't there a similar idea being used for body armor.... a soft material that becomes rigid?

As its from Darpa, we may be seeing a spin off of that armour possibily, good connection

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Two points.

>The video is sped up.

>The blob in the video did not meet the project specifications and that is the only reason it' was cleared to be posted on YouTube. If was a go, we would never know about it.

Funny, it would be above top secret.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join