It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Nightmarish' blob-like robot unveiled in US

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Haven't they watched terminator?

We are on a fast track to a robot revolution.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Notice how it's always the "defense" industry that funds these kinds of projects. I say, be careful what you build, it could be used against you one day. I always think of the Terminator series of movies and television shows every time I see that the military is funding the development of something that seems benign in the beginning.

Just think of the world we would live in if this kind of money were given to people with an interest in pursuing peace.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I watched the video and it reminds me of a blob of silly putty with wires sticking out of it. Maybe I'm just not "getting it" but nightmarish it is not. I think I saw Bear Grylls eat something like that once. Now THAT was a nightmare.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I would caution those that are looking at this thing as innocent, lacking in "usefulness" or generally writing it off as something not to pay attention to, in the "wrong hands", you are witnessing something that may be the missing piece to someone else's war machine.

Star to the poster who mentioned nano possibilities. Also think of the exo-skeleton suits that may need a cheap muscle to make the suits more cost effective. Don't be lulled to sleep by this device.

At the same time, there may be some good uses (medically, search/rescure) that come from it as well.

s/f

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by total_slacker

I hear you, total_slacker (to some degree)

Of all of the adjectives that could be used to describe this, 'Nightmarish' seems a strange choice...

I would have chosen 'remarkably simple and ingenious'.

I for one welcome our new fluid like blob overlords.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by toepick

You're the only one to come up with a good idea for this "blob"

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think that I actually used to go out with her!

Back on topic, the first thing that I thought of, was how much it reminded me of the way a squid moves. I saw them testing squids' reasoning power once on a TV show, by setting them "challenges" which involved the squid having to figure out a route through a maze of perspex barriers to food items. They had to find holes in the barriers and find ways to squeeze themselves through. I wonder if squid motion was where they got the idea from in the first place?

G

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Now... what is nightmarish is this:
Cyborg Beetles, Physorg

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Remeber the little Spider Bots with the retinal scanners? I think it was "Minority Report" but it could have been some other movie.

Things are getting very, very scary with technology. A few of these things with tazers would make it almost impossible to hide from the cops!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
That thing came from the movie Existenz.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by thaknobodi]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think people are WAAAY off the mark of what this thing can possibly do. This is just a blob with 10 triangles.

Add 1000 triangles and the possibility of "arms" and "fingers" then add some of those nuclear batteries we just saw not too long ago and you have a device that can slither through plumbing and then inflate to do whatever job it's supposed to do once it's within it's objective.

I see a blob now but I see a possible "wonder twin" later. Imagine 10 5 ft blobs that can get into a building, link together and become a ladder for real people..

Or 1 10ft blob that can get into a building, smother an objective and then quietly leave through the toilet drain.

who know 15 years later.

b

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Oh great,

Now they have yet another way to watch us masturbate.

No violation for this - talk about selective moderation

As the for the "blob" I can see a lot of practical applications, let's hope it somes to fruition as a deployable asset.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja
It's certainly neat, and I appreciate it from the perspective as a fan of sci-fi, but really I get the impression here that DARPA is working on far cooler stuff than this, and this is the failed rubbish that they trot out to the public, so they dont wonder where their tax dollars are going.

I agree, just another "Shut up" tactic by TPTB.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It looks a bit like a rollermine

Here's a big ball of them for comparison. I did not make the video, you should probably mute the sound.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Roadblockx

Right, as with anything there are pros and cons. The cons are really scary though. A nano chembot can kill. I'd imagine government spies and assassins can have a field day with such a device.

This reminds me of the movie "Escape from New York" when Snake Plissken had gotten injected with microscopic explosives and had 24 hours to rescue the president or he died. I can see these nano-chembots working in a similar fashion. Traveling throughout the blood-stream and blocking arteries or causing hemorrhages. Scary indeed. I'd imagine the prison population would make a good test bed.

However the cons are equally impressive in that can you imagine nano-chembots being injected into a tumor and destroying it, or maybe going in and plugging a torn artery, etc, etc. with very little invasiveness to the patient. Medical-wise, this has real potential. I'd say given time, I'd imagine you could possible repair things on a cellular level, which of course opens a whole other can of worms, such as injecting someone with a vaccine and have the nano-chembot turn off or on DNA that, I don't know...just throwing this out there....causes one to become infertile.

Like they used to say in the X-Files, "trust no one."

[edit on 19-10-2009 by PenandSword]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bspiracy
I think people are WAAAY off the mark of what this thing can possibly do. This is just a blob with 10 triangles.

Add 1000 triangles and the possibility of "arms" and "fingers" then add some of those nuclear batteries we just saw not too long ago and you have a device that can slither through plumbing and then inflate to do whatever job it's supposed to do once it's within it's objective.

I see a blob now but I see a possible "wonder twin" later. Imagine 10 5 ft blobs that can get into a building, link together and become a ladder for real people..

Or 1 10ft blob that can get into a building, smother an objective and then quietly leave through the toilet drain.

who know 15 years later.

b

Wow, great horror story idea!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
. . . . for goodness sakes

What is the deal ats'ers did we just decide to stop searching for topics before we post? this is second thread in 2 days that someone has bitten from me.

i dont understand why i post something someone bites it then it hops to the main board. . . 2 times in 2 days call it sour grapes i guess

www.abovetopsecret.com...

remember there is a search button up there

[edit on 19-10-2009 by constantwonder]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by exposethosesecrets
It's funded by DARPA?

Bad news, as that means it's ultimate purpose is to kill, maim and destroy.

It's so cavalier of you to besmirch DARPA, all the while making heavy use of the technology (the Internet) which they effectively pioneered. So if you have a distaste of DARPA, please unplug your PC immediately, just to be fair.

As a taxpayer, I paid for it.

I can besmirch DARPA all day long on my PC, as it still is a free country (sorta)

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
why is this horrifying bloggers? lol

what doesn't horrify bloggers? hahaha.

yeesh.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Hmm...does this have a name yet?

Looks like it should be called the Booger-Bot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join