It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Olympics - New York - It's Closer to happening than you think !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this, I started to put it in the Current Events, however it's sort of a prediction topic... ?????

� New York among five finalists for 2012 Olympics

LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- The International Olympic Committee has named a shortlist of five cities as possible hosts for the 2012 Olympics.

The five -- London, Madrid, Moscow, New York and Paris -- become official candidates, beginning a 14-month race that will end with the selection of a winning bid by the IOC's assembly in Singapore in July 2005.

Favorites Paris and London promoted the attractions of their landmarks, Madrid promised an environmentally friendly Games while New York dubbed itself the "world city."

link www.cnn.com...

New York has never hosted the Games, although the U.S. last staged them in Atlanta in 1996, and also hosted last year's Winter Games in Salt Lake City.

Okay, with all the hype about 2012, war on terror and the end of the world, doesn't this just fit right in ? New York hosting the 2012 Olympics and all hell breaking loose?

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Hey, Lake Placid hosted the games once, isn't that in NY ?

The article said that New York had never hosted the games, unless they mean the City of NY ?

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Actually, Lake Placid, New York held the Winter Olympics in 1932 and 1980. But, maybe they mean the Summer Olympics. As the Summer Olympics are in 2012.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
NYC doesn't have a hope in hell because of the place they want to hold the games in.

Its between london and paris.

Paris has experience and has good security plans, but London hasnt hosted in a long time and has fielded plans for an incredible looking olympic complex miles to the east of londons city centre.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Because Vancouver was already awarded the 2010 Olympics, I don't believe NY will win. It will be highly unlikely that 2 cities in North America will do them back to back.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
NYC doesn't have a hope in hell because of the place they want to hold the games in.

Not sure.

There have been many plans laid out for a stadium built in NYC, including a new Yankee stadium in Manhattan.

Trust me, Manhattan can easily build a stadium if it's selected to host the 2012 Olympics.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yeah but they want to build it on long island in a run down area, the bbc has been showing pictures that can only describe it as a cess pit with high crime rates and bad transport systems.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Yeah but they want to build it on long island in a run down area, the bbc has been showing pictures that can only describe it as a cess pit with high crime rates and bad transport systems.

No.

Manhattan.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Been there, done that, but certainly don't live there.
As such, just exactly where would they build such facilities for an Olympics in NYC or Manhattan?

seekerof

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The warmer open air events are to be held in brooklyn.

And yeah, just where are you going to park an olympic sized complex complete with olympic village and stadium in Manhattan?

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
There is room on Manhattan's West Side for a stadium also near the Penn Station.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
West side?
Hmm....
Interesting. Thx Illmatic.
Don't get me wrong on NYC and/or Manhattan hosting the Olympics, I just figured where would they find the room.
The next hurdle would be I-95 and regular traffic jams.

seekerof

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
West side?
Hmm....
Interesting. Thx Illmatic.
Don't get me wrong on NYC and/or Manhattan hosting the Olympics, I just figured where would they find the room.
The next hurdle would be I-95 and regular traffic jams.

seekerof

Well, the reasoning is... "The New York bidders also pointed out that when the games would be staged, in late July and early August, nearly 1 million fewer people use city transit because school is out and many New Yorkers are vacationing"... hmmmm Here is the link if you do not believe that reasoning... espn.go.com...

Anyways and said above.. the 2010 are in North America. They will likely go to Europe. Paris is my wish....

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
If America wants the games any time soon they need to hang their heads in the most sincere shame they can muster when they go to Athens, and it would probably help if they threw a few events to the Axis of Collaboration with Evil athletes. (France Germany and Russia). Depending on who the judges are, we can pretty much forget about making too much of a showing in judged events too. Does anyone dispute that it's a VERY political world, and Americans maneuver in it with the grace and subtly of a Panzer division (rather or not we're right is another debate all together)?

new topics

top topics

join