It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Morbidly Obese Kids Be Taken from Their Parents?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
You know wat would solve this problem very quickly?

If a child die due to preventable nutritional or health problems both parents should be executed by leathal injection. Kill 3 idiots with one stone.

Problem solved. No need for a peace prize... obama already made it worthless.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Wertdagf]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Parents control what their kids eat,

SOME children have pituitary or thyroid problems which make them inevitably obese, other than that...it's the parent's doing...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Why is that people are always advocating death for people?

I mean come on folks, so the parents are dropping the ball and I would say that is something which is detrimental to society. But it's not worth them being killed over now is it?

In any case, thanks for all the great responses, it seems like Education and oversight is the appropriate way forward.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
in my humble opinion, this is like asking if kids should be taken away for loving them too much. yeah it is sad to see kids, when their parents let them do whatever they want...like eat until they are 300 pounds...but in no way does that mean their is not love in that family. I would say a child should NEVER be taken from the parents,unless there is obvious abuse/neglect that is "harmful" and you can guarantee where they are being taken to, is better, first off. Instead of taking the kids away, how about helping them eat more healthy, weekly visits, menus to follow, excercise programs....I dont care how fat my kid is, if you try and take them, you will face your maker, before you can take another step! its just not a reason to seperate a family.

now if your forcing your kids to eat dog crap out of the back yard...that is different!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Why is it when it comes to obesity it's ALWAYS THE FOOD that is blamed, not the reason for eating it.
Whether adult or child, the person uses food for comfort, from whatever their situation is that they need to be comforted from. Tackle THAT first before you think just taking a kid away or putting them on a diet will help.
Chances are their is a problem within the dynamics of the family, and the child has learned to look to food for solace.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
So they're proposing to fix a problem by replacing it with an equally big one.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

The "wealthy and pampered" can afford to eat healthy. With my income bracket I can afford to shop at Whole Foods and other higher end shops. The poor do not have that luxury. In the days of Diamond Jim Brady being was asign of wealth. It's flipped the other way now. And just who is going to be the "Obesity General"?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Why would you take fat kids away from their parents when the parents aren't properly educated in nutrition? The current dietary recommendations and the foods that the schools are feeding them are the problems.

Instead of a healthcare reform, this country needs a health education reform. It would save people from developing all the major diseases of civilization(the top killers in the US).

-Dev

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It is kind of sad that the children are taken from their parent. I agree that when you get young children becoming severely obese SOMETHING must be done, I do not think breaking apart a family is the solution. Food can be very addictive for someone once they get in the habit of over eating, teaching the parents how to break the addiction would be a better solution in my mind.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Is allowing your child to be fat abuse? In a word, yes.

There's no question about it. The minority of obesity is due to something medical that caused it, not talking about the resulting illnesses.

However, I rarely would remove a child from their parents. It would have to be on the level of heavy violence, substance abuse, sexual misconduct (nicely phrased), etc.

Having a fat kid is just something stupid folks do, many of which are huge monsters also. Sorry to say it, but it is preventable and causes lifelong illness and emotional/physical pain in great amounts, so it's abuse.

If we did this, we'd have to arrest every parent of 13 year old kids who can't read or have 3 teeth left from drinking mountain dew in the place of water.

I do not trust the government with kids.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
Why would you take fat kids away from their parents when the parents aren't properly educated in nutrition? The current dietary recommendations and the foods that the schools are feeding them are the problems.

Instead of a healthcare reform, this country needs a health education reform. It would save people from developing all the major diseases of civilization(the top killers in the US).

-Dev

Really? In the age of information you would say that not knowing basic nutritional facts is possible on accident?

That's a real stretch since I'd say that few exceptions don't make a rule.

I'm all about education, but when has the government ever been good at funding or engaging in education? I'd prefer if people actually read a book or knew where the public library was.

If you want to do something good for education, create a movement to donate money to libraries so people who wanted to learn could do it MORE, since it's already free.

If you really want to make a difference in food, the best thing to do would be to take some of the regulations Europe or Canada have for food quality. It's night and day.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Unfortunately this entire thing is obscene. Do you really think the government may tell you or your family what to eat? Do you want to know what makes some people overweight, and there are many health issues, but its the kind of poisons and low graded nutrients put in the foods that are affordable to many familes, and in an economic situation where rent is more than 1/3rd your income, possibley as much as 2/3rd so people are overworked, junk food and fast food is all that is possible, and many kids are home stuffing their faces while parents work.

But beyond that, the idea that they may try to force someone on a diet against their will is beyond sickening. This is just another drama and human rights issue. As a parent, I wouldnt have tolerated it, and would have either sued or started a revolution to end NWO.
I mean it too. This injustice would never go down with my living eyes seeing it. Just so you know.

The question is, how far do you intend to let NWO go. These dramas are extremely abusive.

Earth changes are coming, thats why they've built those bases. And the attempt to sully everyones hands for not standing up for their brothers and sisters across the planet, and for mother earth makes a bad situation, kind a negative harvest is what the leaders are going for.

Surely something will make you guys get it. People's weights, are absolutely none of your business or any nazi doctors either. They have such massive egos and think they can dominate others legally. Stand up for everyone, tall, thin, short ,fat , bald, green, purple, black, white and inbetweens. Treat everyone as you would wish to be treated and with the greatest respect for their dignity. Diet is something that can only be encouraged, not dictated. But stand up to fascism.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Unity_99]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

In a short answer, no. Emotional health is important, too, and kids love their parents.

If the kid was on drugs they would invite the whole family into a rehab program. If it was a pregnant thirteen year old they wouldn't take the child away, either. They would insist the entire family get help together.

Families have always had issues since the dawn of time. Books, poems, movies all tell the tale of the Family Dinner where all the issues come out. I am not sure that families have to be perfect in order to be "healthy".

Yes, morbidly obese is a terribly unhealthy condition, but they could probably spend the same amount of money in counseling as fostering. Also, considering that the FDA does NOTHING to warn people about processed foods and pushed that breads and pasta pyramid the government has little room to talk about "health".

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Excellent post. I can say living in the US, I have seen the scales on childhood obesity go to the extremes here. I think that the social workers need to do a bit more educating and observing before taking the child out of the house. From what I have seen, yes obesity is genetic. I know, cause if you look at a cousin of mine, and my sister, they both have weight problems and it is not because they eat poorly. Though I think part is diet, part is genetic. I have heard of cases where the parent feed the child too much, setting up food addiction on their children, to where the child becomes obese in less than a year. I have also heard of parents who tried to stop their children from snacking, taking extreme measures to putting locks on all of the food in the house, to putting all of the food in a shed and barring it so the child can not go and eat endlessly. They need to take each case by case, and do alot more observing and helping by educating the parents and the children than just making the decision to remove the child.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Case by case should be taken, if there is a concern that sexual abuse, or violence is taking place. But obesity is none of their buisness, and they are not dictators to the world. Diet and nutrition is a matter of economics, and we should be ensuring that everyone is above the poverty line mostly, though some are uneducated. In short equalizing people, and setting good examples, and perhaps getting people to do what HiAlien's writes about in his wonderful thread that shows people how to become independent and grow their own food, even in apartments, and alternative energy. Even in North America this is needed.

But there is no one that can demand that we eat as they wish. They do not own us, nor do they have the right to dictate our diets. This is NWO Fascism.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I believe it clearly shows poor supervision by the adults if a child is able to consume such an amount of food to become "morbidly" obese. I mean lets be logical here, how would one gain so much weight? Especaiily when they are so young, I can tell you except for the fact of school I know 98% of what my child consumes. So in all actuality I would see this as some form of neglect.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Used to be if you wanted to eat healthy, it was one of the cheapest grocery bill buying nothing but vegetables and food that is good for you. Now the tables are reversed, if you want to go on a diet it will cost twice as much as it used to. In today's economy people have no choice but to feed their families the cheaper more fattening foods. No, if we are looking at who to blame, I would say the FDA, allowing food Co. to add more fat and non healthy ingredients to their food products.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Really? In the age of information you would say that not knowing basic nutritional facts is possible on accident?

And do you think that those living at or close to poverty have the access or even the time to properly research the subject, especially when all they need is a food pyramid?

I'm all about education, but when has the government ever been good at funding or engaging in education? I'd prefer if people actually read a book or knew where the public library was.

Unfortunately, your ideology on government education is not shared by the populous. Why would the average American take the time to read several books, with the hope of properly comprehending them, when government recommendations are illustrated and very short.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

I believe it clearly shows poor supervision by the adults if a child is able to consume such an amount of food to become "morbidly" obese. I mean lets be logical here, how would one gain so much weight? Especaiily when they are so young, I can tell you except for the fact of school I know 98% of what my child consumes. So in all actuality I would see this as some form of neglect.

You're assuming that obesity is simply caused by overeating and gluttony. This is not the case. You ask the question, how can they gain so much weight?

If the mother ate a poor diet while carrying the child, the child be predisposed to becoming obese. Couple the predisposition with a poor diet and you have a recipe for severe obesity.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
And do you think that those living at or close to poverty have the access or even the time to properly research the subject, especially when all they need is a food pyramid?

I'm at or close to poverty, yet my standard of living is much higher than people with fewer children and bigger salaries. I make use of the resources I can find, like I expect others to do.

Do I live in a tech-savvy area? Yes, but that just means it's 10x more expensive to live so I'd call it a draw. Even if one just watched TV (which I rarely do) or simply read nutritional information they would glean enough information to not be a total wreck.

Unfortunately, your ideology on government education is not shared by the populous. Why would the average American take the time to read several books, with the hope of properly comprehending them, when government recommendations are illustrated and very short.

-Dev

I disagree. Americans are still working on an outdated model of wages/productivity/standard of living. My generation will not fair as well as my parents did, and my children will have a harder time of it.

The money coming out of their pockets is seen but experienced much less then, say, your electric bill. You actually have to write a check for that, so when energy prices are bad, people respond.

Education isn't like that because few people pay directly. My point is that they only look at the result rather than the whole process when determining a problem/solution. The normal solution is more money. How many of that same populous is game to give that money?

Quite a bit fewer I'd imagine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join