It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma abortion law ‘like undressing women in public’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
rawstory.com...

A new Oklahoma law that forces women who have had abortions to post details of the procedure online is being sharply criticized by women's rights groups, and is now being challenged in court by two Oklahoma women.

As of November 1, doctors in Oklahoma will be compelled -- under penalty of criminal prosecution -- to post the details of each abortion they perform online. Among the details to be posted for every abortion is the patient's age, marital status and race; her financial condition; her education; and the total number of her previous pregnancies.

Now what do you think the purpose of this new law really is?

Isn't there such a thing as Patient-doctor private information privilege, statutes in OK?

I don't think this will ever see the light of day as this is an attorneys wet dream.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
to belittle and shame people who have had it and dissuade people who are considering it?

Either way its disgusting

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Appalling. How completely disgusting and inappropriate.

Maybe we should release morbid details for each death sentence we carry out as well, complete with demographic information just for posterity.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

All they are doing is gathering statistics and posting them online. Not like they are putting the womens name and address on there.

Even though this is the case, I don't think a little shame would be so bad for a woman that is on like her 3rd or more abortion. I think by strike three, maybe we should give her forced sterilization, since she obviously cannot control herself.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by StinkyFeet
reply to post by whaaa

All they are doing is gathering statistics and posting them online. Not like they are putting the womens name and address on there.

Even though this is the case, I don't think a little shame would be so bad for a woman that is on like her 3rd or more abortion. I think by strike three, maybe we should give her forced sterilization, since she obviously cannot control herself.

Great Idea! And while she is being sterilized by the state; they can tattoo a big red "A" on her forhead for some added shame. [sarcasm]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkyFeet

Wow, have you not been banned yet? Hmph...strange.

In any case this is appauling and should not be taking place. What would the reasons be for this kind of "statistics" gathering. It serves no purpose.

And yes I can think of people who would need more than one abortion, they are called rape victims and children in sex slave rings.

But you won't accept any of that as common sense..

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

this is a spot on example of how to discredit your opinion by looking uncouth and foolish.

there is no place in an intelligent forum for this kind of rudeness. I agree that a woman might need a little shame if she is coming back again and again, but I don't want to be associated with your extreme opinion either.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
What's the big deal? Why not gather statistical information? When I have a proceedure done, I like to be able to read up on people's personal experiences. I wonder how many women would actually admit it was an awful choice to make and they regretted it immediately?

Yup, nothing wrong with being informed by someone who actually experiences something. This should help women make an even more informed "choice."

Empower people and give them all the facts.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
*SNIP*

Wow. Are you really that crude? What gives you any right to judge anyone else? Not everyone has a perfect life with 2 parents and support and love. I had a friend who had one at 17 because her step father raped her repeatedly. But I'm sure that was her fault because she was a trashy whore.

Edit for grammar.

[edit on 18/10/09 by Morbo the Annihilator]

Mod Edit: Removed Gratuitous Quote.

[edit on 18/10/2009 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 18/10/09 by Morbo the Annihilator]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Wow, have you not been banned yet? Hmph...strange.

In any case this is appauling and should not be taking place. What would the reasons be for this kind of "statistics" gathering. It serves no purpose.

And yes I can think of people who would need more than one abortion, they are called rape victims and children in sex slave rings.

But you won't accept any of that as common sense..

~Keeper

what about a way to gather statistics that aren't published publicly? I think we should have alist showing the trends in abortions, because although I agree with a womans right to have one, I would still like to see the amount of them cut down through awareness and prevention. And I would daresay that the majority of "serial" abortion women are ot rape victims or child sex slaves, most of them are likely street walkers and women who just are not careful. Where do I get this idea? Well i personally know 5 women who have had between 2 to 4 abortions, and one is a former prostitute, the others are just women who tend to end up with "losers" that won't help support a baby, andd instead of using more caution to prevent the child from being conceived, these women seem like they get pregnant every year. I've even met couples that have an "abortion fund", like a piggy bank for when they need to get a quick abortion.
I AM against making these statistics too public, because it just seems too likely that people's private lives will somehow get connected, but we should be compiling abortion trends, and trying to figure out how to slow them down.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

Oh I am ALL about reducing the amount of unnecesarry abortions, don't get me wrong.

I simply fear for the fact that some of these women will become the victims of discrimination and hate from various other folks who have an issue with their right to choose is all.

I think it's a good idea to compile data, however in this case alot of the information is unnecessary.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
There is nothing relating to the woman's personal experience that would help make a more informed decision regarding whether or not to get an abortion. This is age, city/town marital status, grade level, number of total pregnancies, number of live children etc.

This is all fine for statistical purposes, but there is no reason to include their age, hometown, and other indentifying information on a publicly accessed website.

One of the main concerns is that it could make it very easy to identify some women in the small communities of Oklahoma.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hardamber
What's the big deal? Why not gather statistical information? When I have a proceedure done, I like to be able to read up on people's personal experiences. I wonder how many women would actually admit it was an awful choice to make and they regretted it immediately?

Yup, nothing wrong with being informed by someone who actually experiences something. This should help women make an even more informed "choice."

Empower people and give them all the facts.

You can find this information all over the intenet. There are many women who will WILLINGLY tell their story. Patient infomration does not need to be gathered for "statistical analysis".

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

I agree. If the information that could "possibly" be used as an identifier like name of hometown were to be changed to general demographics information, there would be no problem. For example, instead of saying that the patient is from Tecumseh, Ok., they could say that the patient is from a demographic of less than 100,000 people.

(Btw, I don't actually know the real population of Tecumseh, Ok.)

There's nothing inherently wrong with gathering statistical information and yes Oklahoma has HIPPA laws protecting patient privacy. The hometown is the only one I can see being potentially an identifier. The rest is just numbers that don't point to an individual.

This will probably not be an issue if they fix the demographic information required. Besides, people lie all the time. Even if their ID were required, the girl could just say that she moved from that town 2 weeks ago and now lives in xxxxx instead.

I seriously doubt anyone will check up the veracity of the girls statements. If anyone was checking, there would be a lot less girls under 18 receiving surgical procedures without the consent of their parents.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by gluetrap
There is nothing relating to the woman's personal experience that would help make a more informed decision regarding whether or not to get an abortion. This is age, city/town marital status, grade level, number of total pregnancies, number of live children etc.

This is all fine for statistical purposes, but there is no reason to include their age, hometown, and other indentifying information on a publicly accessed website.

One of the main concerns is that it could make it very easy to identify some women in the small communities of Oklahoma.

yes i'm all for chronicling the trends for our own education and understanding, but this is my main concern as well, making the women easy targets.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
There is one thing for patient/doctor priv. but, I did not see it list the fact it would list a woman's name. Therefore it may be upheld. They can claim that they are using it for statistical purposes only to educate and prepare "high risk" women....[snip]scumbags

Mod Edit - Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave

There's nothing inherently wrong with gathering statistical information and yes Oklahoma has HIPPA laws protecting patient privacy. The hometown is the only one I can see being potentially an identifier. The rest is just numbers that don't point to an individual.

Apparently not.

Though it does not ask for names, the form poses 37 questions detailing a woman's personal situation. Critics say the first eight questions alone could easily lead to the identification of a woman who lives in one of the state's many small communities.

Sometimes I wish I had studied law and become an attorney. There are so many dumb legislators out there that are just begging to be drug into court and made a fool of.

top topics

join