It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rev. Al Sharpton prepares to sue Rush Limbaugh for defamation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
rawstory.com...

The Reverend Al Sharpton wants an apology from right-wing radio host Rush Limbaugh, or he's filing a defamation lawsuit.

"In the op-ed published in Saturday's Wall Street Journal Limbaugh writes Sharpton 'played a leading role in the 1991 Crown Heights riot (he called neighborhood Jews ‘diamond merchants’) and 1995 Freddie's Fashion Mart riot,'" CNN reported.

“Not only did Rush Limbaugh try to criminalize the NFL,” Sharpton told a columnist with the Palm Beach Post."But now he is saying I’m a criminal. He can call me a race-baiter and all that stuff like he does. But don’t call me a criminal.”

Here we go........

Just as I was beginning to really miss Gov. Palin and her antics and sliding into the doldrums politically, this rears it's ugly head. Just in time for Halloween.

This should provide enough entertainment to at least carry us thru Thanksgiving.

Thanks Mr. Sharpton.

Sharpton issued the following statement on the matter to CNN: "Mr. Limbaugh's blatant and defamatory statements regarding the Crown Heights Riots falsely give the impression that Rev. Sharpton was present during the violence that occurred when in reality he had been called in by the family after the violence.

Sharpton told news agencies that he was not in Crown Heights until after the violence, calling Limbaugh's statement false.

Clowns

[edit on 18-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Has anyone found out what church the "Reverend" Al Sharpton actually belongs to?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by useless eaters

I remember reading once that he used to be a Baptist minister. I'm not sure where in the country or which of the four Baptist "flavors" though. (I'd bet he was American Baptist though).

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Not that it matters but anyone can become an ordained minister if they want to. I am. Pastor whaaa. I have married many a hippie in my day.

www.ulc.net...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Not that it matters but anyone can become an ordained minister if they want to. I am. Pastor whaaa. I have married many a hippie in my day.

www.ulc.net...

Perhaps Rush should get himself Ordained also, if for the sake of being fair and balanced, if nothing else?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well go figure the Rev. Al Sharpton trying to take a rich white man's money by screaming racsim at the top of his lungs. Hell, him and Jesse have made a livelihood out of this kind of tactic.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well this is a good case where it starts out with forceful speech and rhetoric where someone takes action.
Rev. Al Sharpton started out as a Pentacostal minister and then went to the Baptist.
His current actions are like the pot calling the kettle black, as he has been involved in more stuff of this nature than anyone should have. What is a real shame of it all, for a person is his position and authority, why he can not work to make a better place for all, instead of choosing for just a few. He tends to add verbally gas to a smoldering fire, and it is about time some one call him on it. Part is his own fault as he puts himself out there and appearing as a leader of the african american community, and as many are finding out, what you say can and will come back to haunt you.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Well this is a good case where it starts out with forceful speech and rhetoric where someone takes action.
Rev. Al Sharpton started out as a Pentacostal minister and then went to the Baptist.
His current actions are like the pot calling the kettle black, as he has been involved in more stuff of this nature than anyone should have. What is a real shame of it all, for a person is his position and authority, why he can not work to make a better place for all, instead of choosing for just a few. He tends to add verbally gas to a smoldering fire, and it is about time some one call him on it. Part is his own fault as he puts himself out there and appearing as a leader of the african american community, and as many are finding out, what you say can and will come back to haunt you.

Did you read the link? This is about Sharpton suing Rush.

This time it looks like something Rush said is going to come back and haunt him.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I kind of think of Rush Limbaugh as the white people's Al Sharpton, so this is delicious irony indeed.

Really, both are guys who essentially make their livings feeding off of racial fears and animosities. They deserve one another. Perhaps they should marry.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Sharpton tries to be pro black if that is what its called but makes a full of himself everytime he is to much of a politician to be any good, but oh well I guess everybody gota open they mouth for something

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I personally think they should settle this with a cage match. Maybe they could get Sarah Palin to be the ring girl and Al Franken could......uhm......I don't know.......maybe sell beer.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I wonder about that hypocrite sharpton, does he have the black peoples best interest at heart or does he just like his appearances on tv.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I don't like to wish anything on anyone.....but......
I would like to see them both spend big$$$
Get media coverage and play ikit all the way up to the judge....
Just for him to drop the case......?
Don't care for either guy myself...silly rant over!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Sharpton should be careful since Tawana Brawlley [?]. He tried to ruin the reputation of some cops with a fake rape. Some dirty laundry may be aired that could bite him in the rump

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by useless eaters
Has anyone found out what church the "Reverend" Al Sharpton actually belongs to?

Sometimes clarity is necessary to maintain focus regarding the personalities about whom we are discussing. As a courtesy to the participants in this thread, here are the Wikipedia entries for Reverend Al Sharpton and for radio talk show personality, Rush Limbaugh

While plenty of criticism can be levied at Wikipedia as a biographical source, the entries offered should suffice in providing some cursory background information on the subjects in this thread. Most importantly, I believe that it provides and substantiates Rev. Sharpton's "credentials" as a clergyman and as a de facto spokesman and representative for a large segment of Black Americans.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Well good. Mush has defamed a lot of people over the years. Finally someone has the gonads to sue the mouth that roared.

I will be amusing to see both of them on the stand.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Two bloated media whores one left and one right. Both with the smae agenda: Themselves and screw the rest of us.

Im not sure "WHORE" is even accurate for thier blantant ignorant pandering. Whores actually work for a living and its more honest work than these two put forth.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

LOL, star for you man

How true how true!

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I, too, am surprised that Limbaugh hasn't had more defamation suits than this one, considering all the people he slanders and maligns in the course of one broadcast. IMO he's getting what he deserves.

I agree that the Rev. Sharpton is like the pot calling the kettle black, but I'm glad to see the mighty Rush being called to account for a change. If what Limbaugh said was really untrue, then Sharpton does have a legitimate defamation charge, regardless of the sordid Brawley affair in his past.

If somebody else wants to challenge Sharpton on claims of defamation, then I would agree that they should pursue the case if they have one. But for now it's Limbaugh's turn to be in the hot seat.

top topics

join