It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN- 62,000 Iraqi refugees relocated to the US - Saddam's elite rewarded for silence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hey ATS!

A press release from the UN has just announced that the US has been referred 62,000 refugees from Iraq.

UN Daily Briefing

MORE THAN 80,000 IRAQI REFUGEE RESETTLED WORLDWIDE

The UN Refugee Agency says it has now referred more 80,000 refugees from Iraq to resettlement countries worldwide.

UNHCR’s resettlement programme for Iraqi refugees began in 2007 and, as of October this year, 82,500 individuals had been referred to more than a dozen countries.

Around 75 per cent – or just less than 62,000 – Iraqi refugees have been referred to the United States. The remaining 25 percent of cases have been referred to a total of 14 resettlement countries, including Canada, Australia, Germany and Sweden.

Now lets think about this.

If Iraq has been freed from the tyranny of Saddam Hussein. Why, Oh why is there this number of refugees from Iraq?

I believe the only answer is that these are the henchmen (and families) of the elite of the old Iraq, deposed of illegally, and they have been compensated with repatriation in Western nations.

In a so called free nation, there would be no need for international refugees. if a person from one Islamic religious sect or denomination is displaced, they could be relocated within Iraq.

No, this surely points to a mass exodus of the Elite under Saddam, relocation to the West as a reward for keeping quiet about the true reasons and goings on of the invasion and occupation.

Any thoughts?

[edit on 18-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yeah. There is a silent civil war in Iraq - lot of sides blowing up other sides and coalition forces. Add poor economy. Add religious tension.
Why would people want to become refugees i wonder.
Saddam's elite started current inner mayhem with turning Sunnis/Shia against each other in attempt to start a civil war, so i doubt anybody would reward them for that. Easier ways to silence them in war torn country exist i think.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I know what you mean, but the thing about civil wars, is that the only refugees you get are from one side to another, not internationally, generally speaking.

Know what I mean? If these refugees were displaced by civil war, they would only have to be relocated to a part of Iraq where they would be accepted, not internationally, does that make sense bud?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

This is really no surprise. It will be very much like the Exodus from Viet Nam except much much larger with many more refugees.

62,000 right.....more like 3 or 4 million in the long run.

That's cool, we will need a Shawarma shop on one side of the street and a Fatauir stand on the other.

Of course there will be the accompanying backlash against the Iraqi's in the US but as C. Powell said "you broke it, you bought it"

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
In any civil war there are a lot of people who try to flee the country. Even in ones without religious tension involved. And in Iraq chance to be blown up exists everywhere.
Also there are a lot of different minorities in Iraq, and little love and tolerance is in the air. I heard that a lot of Christians leave Iraq. So being fan of Occam's approach i think that there is no hidden agenda in this. All because of boring grim reality.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Hey mate, i starred you because even though we disagree, you bring some balance to my paranoia!

You may be right, but oh no you may be wrong lol!

kiwifoot

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I don't think there's any big conspiracy either. Doctors, lawyers, professors, and the upper class got the hell out. They could afford the fees, and the long wait for papers wherever they stayed in transit, and they fulfilled the immigration requirements (must have a certain amount of cash, sponsor and place to stay, job, etc).

Refugee status certainly isn't granted on merit. The interpreter that worked for my unit in Iraq served 4 years with the US Army, risking life and limb, and couldn't get the necessary recommendation from our brigade commander to start the immigration application. He gave up before I rotated home, and used his savings to marry a 16 year old girl and set up house and pay the dowry in an arranged marriage. He was still working for us when I left, sneaking in and out of his Baghdad neighborhood to see his family.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Honestly we are doing what we are supposed to be doing. That's take people in from any war torn part of the world. That's what we were founded on even if it's was a war we created. I honestly don't read too much into this myself.

join