It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep Vote Yes On Rape

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Your erroneous calculation and omission of the fact that there are almost 60 democrats that voted for this as well, discredit your thread.

Did you even read the article? Those who voted against it are the bad guys, not for it.....all 30 who voted against it were Republican....

Voting for the bill is a good thing.

The hillarious bit, is all the ignorant people who starred your post....

[edit on 10/19/2009 by Choronzon]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Actually, I agree with that post. I have not read the bill and how its written, so these republicans may have had issue with the wording overall. I find that to be an acceptable answer, alternatively the concept of anyone voting against stopping funding to rape companys bewilders the mind.

Since it passed anyhow, I wont spend the energy investigating it much, but just wanted to comment on a good counterargument.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Actually, I agree with that post. I have not read the bill and how its written, so these republicans may have had issue with the wording overall. I find that to be an acceptable answer, alternatively the concept of anyone voting against stopping funding to rape companys bewilders the mind.

Since it passed anyhow, I wont spend the energy investigating it much, but just wanted to comment on a good counterargument.

Thank you.

Although there is another rational explanation I hadn't previously mentioned. Besides Conscientious Nay-saying, there are the Contrary Partisans who vote against any Bill that was drafted or sponsored by a political party other than their own. For the fact that it was Republicans who voted "Nay" to this legislation, that very well could have been the crux of their decision as this was a Democrat drafted and Democrat sponsored Bill.

In either case, it is hardly fair to categorize them as advocating Rape regardless.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Just because an official gave a "nay" vote, doesn't mean that they advocate the opposite.

A conscientious voter will do as our elected officials will do.

There are issues that I whole-heartedly agree with, but when they come up for vote, I sometimes vote against them.

Why?

Because sometimes legislation is too vague, or too poorly written, allowing for it to be abused.

Sometimes legislation is too broad, containing too many riders.

Sometimes legislation is written in such a way that it makes it legally contestable as unconstitutional.

Sometimes legislation makes too severe of demands unto being unreasonable upon certain demographics, despite it being for a good reason.

I may support the spirit of the legislation, but in good conscience I can't always vote for that legislation and may give a "Nay".

A "Nay" Vote can sometimes mean, "I agree, but not as it is worded now. Send it back to the drawing board and write a better thought out draft and I'll reconsider because I do agree with what you are trying to do, just not with how you are wording it."

[edit on 19-10-2009 by fraterormus]

and sometimes legislation is clear and concise - saying no federal funding to companies who allow these clauses in their contracts

like in this case

and if you vote against it - you advocate gang rape.

Very few times can this so easily be sumarized

but in this case, it can.

if you disagree with me - you can clearly read the proposed amendment by clicking here

and as for their responses?

They didnt condone it by saying "too flaky of legislation"

no - they condoned it by saying govt shouldnt be allowed to tell private business what to do

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
One thing I cannot find is the original bill this amendment was attached to. Yes, not voting for this amendment is unforgivable, but what was it attached to. Nothing important probably, something like financing Gitmo and the other unconstitutional prisons throughout the world.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Your erroneous calculation and omission of the fact that there are almost 60 democrats that voted for this as well, discredit your thread.

I think you made a slight mistake there, pal.

It was the people who voted "nay" that were, in essence, voting in favor of rape. The entire "nay" vote consisted of republicans, every single voting democrat voted "yea".

Basically, the vote was to allow people who work for these corporations, who were the victims of sexual harassment (in this case gang-rape) to go to court. Before the vote, corporations such as Halliburton were allowed to prevent their employees from seeking damages for such claims, which is outright ridiculous.

I wonder how many Republicans' pockets Halliburton has its hands in, that they would vote "nay" on this? Or is it just a case of Republicans doing anything they can to undermine a Democrat's efforts, regardless of how benevolent they may be?

Is politics sinking this low? That Republicans will vote to allow rape just to try and hamper the democratic process?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

A woman who claimed she was raped in 2005 while working in Iraq for a former Halliburton Co. subsidiary has been awarded nearly $3 million by an arbitrator to settle her case. Tracy Barker had sued U.S. contractor KBR Inc.,

www.google.com...

WOW
So it was all true!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join