It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

day after tomorrow based on fact

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hamburglar

So if i am to understand you correctly, I am to ignore the HARVARD paleoclimatologist, and instead follow the theories of the guy who thought he saw bunny rabbits on Mars

. I just don't like media-induced hysteria, and I loathe pseudo-science.

P.S., Aside from Hoagland, who else should I consider a non-government-paid source? Where should I get my news?

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Hamburglar]

Simmer down now Hamburglar!
It's just a freakin' movie!
"Harvard" produces just as many Legacy half-wits as say...Yale, and we all know how far...wrong one of those can go.

Our lame-arse apathetic society NEEDS a little media hysteria to motivate popular activism. duh:
My pseudo-science can beat-up your pseudo-science!
:
And; you should get your news from as many sources as you can stomach. Mull over the salient points of each and let your gut tell you where the truth lies

Tongue planted firmly in cheek.

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by scottsquared]

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by scottsquared]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
The Atlantic conveyor current is fed by the cold waters from the icebergs in the north pole and the warm waters from the equator. If the north pole alone melts, the level of the sea will not change at all, but because of the fresh water it will release, the salinity of the Atlantic will lower, not making possible for the exchange of cold and warm waters and throwing the northern regions of the world into a new ice age.

Bingo!! Take a look at the 90-day sea surface temperature anomaly map from NOAA. Notice the large trough of cold water off the eastern sea board...that's not good.

www.cdc.noaa.gov...

Now take a look at the 90-day 18 C anomaly in Antartica...

You think that's bad, take a look at the one-day map...

www.cdc.noaa.gov...

Yes, that large red area is a 20 C anomaly.

THC patterns in the Atlantic are FUBAR. The premise of the movie is real, but the time-frame is far too fast.

There's more anomaly maps here...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I am sorry I did not mean to call you paranoid
Let go back to the begining of the earth, earth had catastrophics changes before, and with this changes existing species are desimated and new ones will come out and some lesser species survive, the last time we had a catastrophy event was when the dinosaurs disapared from earth I guess the next specie obviously will be humans but I have the feeling that some will survive.
We are to smart and we had survive the longest so far.

How old are you Marg? you don't seem to be very old, but I could be wrong, if posting facts is paranoia for you, i guess you better stay uninformed and stop reading from this site.

BTW, we have had other catastrophies after the extinction of the dinosaurs, so that wasn't the only one. My guess is that you are still going to high school, maybe junior high, but once again I could be wrong.

I did not say we will be totally destroyed.... No one knows exactly what will happen or how fast, but all the facts seem to point that there will be extreme weather changes.

If you believe in the saying "ignorance is a bliss" i wonder why would someone be posting in a site such as this.

If you are young as I am starting to believe, forgive my impatience with you.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Didnt say anything about sinners. just that ALL major beliefs (well almost all i think) have some sort of prediction regarding changes in the earth etc.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The POLAR SHIFT is a naturall occurance on this planet............it shows up in the magnetic field of layers of volcanic stone.....
It seams to happen VERY fast......hours even....the earth just takes a breath, and begins spinning in the OTHER direction. With disasterous results to anything living on the planet. What was tropicall will become Frozen and vis versa...a complete switch...
You cant hide in an underground bunker from a POLAR SHIFT.

It does not matter weather your a sinner or a saint......a polar shift is a NATURALL occurance of Planet Earth...and we are due......anytime now......
I think global warming is just going to help speed up its eminent arrival.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Muaddib, I old enough to have a 20 year old, probably old enough to be your mother and I am not offended by your coments you sound like my 17 year old teenager, I am a teacher also of 6,7 and 8 graders with more comun sense than you their are gifted, and is sad that anything that happend in relation with earth It always have to have some religious catatrophic meaning becase we can not absorve that most of what is happening is just part of nature.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   

TextThe POLAR SHIFT is a naturall occurance on this planet............it shows up in the magnetic field of layers of volcanic stone.....

Thanks TheRiverGodess, some people, not matter what you tell them or show them as evidence, they can not absorve the fact that this can be just a natural event and earth had many of them, we are just more aware of but on a pesimistic way because we know that we had done damage to the enviroment our ancestors respected earth and they knew how valuable it was, Like I said earth will be here long after we die and some other species will take our place.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by scottsquared
Marg is right when she says that we can't destroy the planet. We can surely make Earth uninhabitable for our species and others. We are well on the way to just that. The Global warming point of no return is fast approaching and the industrialized nations have no intention to curb Greenhouse gas emissions. Short term profits/earnings will always take precident over long term planning, remember Bush's speach after dumping Kyoto?

I wouldn't worry so much about all this Kyoto and emmisions stuff. WE don't do nearly the damage we are accused of doing. Bush dumped the Kyoto summit as it was more of a way to further drag down the U.S. for the benefit of others. Considering output - v - emmisions, the U.S. is not that bad.

Carbon Dioxide; isn't that what plants use and then convert it to oxygen? Seems the plants would be flourishing if we were putting more carbon dioxide in the air, wouldn't they?

The last 30 years, the scientists that have declared that the sky is falling have not been able to get it together. Some warm of global warming, others of an ice age. Regardless of what we do, though, one thing is for certain, the earth goes through cycles, and if it is time for another ice age - oh well!

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
We just need to start investing on some heavy winter ware

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Marg, you couldn't be my mother, i am too old for that. You are around 38-45?, i am 32. I was mistaken but with your comments and spelling you sounded like a young girl.

BTW, i am not a religious person, so you also stereotyped me on that one. I base most of what i say in science or if it relates to spiritual matters ( you don't have to be religious to be spiritual) in my intuition.

You got some of your facts messed up and i was just posting the facts. Althou the timeline that is presented in the movie is unlikely to happen in real life, the movie presents real science and what oceanographers and other scientists say will happen when the Atlantic current stops.

The one problem most scientists have with the movie is that all of it happens in hours or days, but rapid climate change is now believed could happen in less than a decade by the scientific community, and these changes in the Atlantic current have been happening for some years now. This view could change once more to even the possibility of rapid climate change to happen within a couple years.

I am not telling you to run and hide, you do whatever you want to do, i just post the facts. It is true that it has happened in the past, but its also true that those people that are informed and want to do something about it can get prepared. That's what information in this topic is about, being prepared. Just like some people that live in a hurricane zone, and are smart, have a week of water, food and the essentials, instead of just hoping for the government to be prepared for them.

"In the 1950s, a few scientists found evidence that some of the great climate shifts in the past had taken only a few thousand years. During the 1960s and 1970s, other lines of research made it plausible that the global climate could shift radically within a few hundred years. In the 1980s and 1990s, further studies reduced the scale to the span of a single century. Today, there is evidence that severe change can take less than a decade. A committee of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) has called this reorientation in the thinking of scientists a veritable "paradigm shift." The new paradigm of abrupt global climate change, the committee reported in 2002, "has been well established by research over the last decade, but this new thinking is little known and scarcely appreciated in the wider community of natural and social scientists and policymakers."

Excerpt taken from.
www.physicstoday.org...

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Muaddib, I have nothing against you, I see you do take this thread very seriously but what have keep me young looking all my 43 years is good genes and I am also young at hart, we are living in dangerous times and stress can kill you I already been at the emergency room with panic attacks now I just take things easy and I look to the fun part of it first I think you are very down to earth even when this earth is suffering our abuse but litten up a little does wonders with the spirit you are an old soul. And that is a compliment.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Believe it or not i am young at heart too, I don't take everything overly seriously, but i do have a serious side, even thou I don't worry with stress at what could happen, actually outside of this forum i don't talk about this. I have other hobbies, but i came to this forum not to talk about everyday things in life, but things that do have an impact in our lives, even though most people don't believe it and prefer to ignore it.

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I admire your honesty, we need to help each other in order to help this planet I think ATS is a very good place to start. ( That does not mean that I will no disagree with you in the future)

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I wanted to bring this thread back up since the movie has now opened in theatres...

I saw it last week. It was an amazing movie.

Is it believable ? I don't know.. parts of it could be. I'd like to see if any of the scientific minds here at ATS has had a chance to see the movie yet and what they thought of it ?

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is to reemphasize what Kukla said a couple of weeks ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Signs seem to point to a big problem with the current.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I was just watching tv and there's a movie from 1998 called "Ice". IT's along the same lines as the day after tomorrow.

I thought it was interesting that a week after The Day After Tomorrow opened that now they're showing Ice ... hmmmm

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Here's another expert take on the movie. For a movie, lots of weather folk seem to be giving us their views:

" But no, a sudden global warming-induced climate shift could not cause the kind of instant wild weather mayhem depicted in the movie. In this respect, The Day After Tomorrow is science Fiction with a capital "F". The laws of meteorology get seriously abused here. Consider the book the movie is based on, The Coming Global Superstorm, by Whitley Streiber and Art Bell. Whitley Streiber is a UFO expert and author of the best-selling 1985 book Communion, a non-fiction account of his abduction by extra-terrestrials. Art Bell hosts a nationally syndicated all-night radio show, Coast to Coast AM, which specializes in UFOs and the supernatural."
www.wunderground.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The writer of that review had no credibility at all. He is probably one of these people that has preached that we are going to bake because of global warming and he will stop at nothing to back up his claim. Notice his extremely weak response. He starts out as if he is going to attack the book the movie is based on but since he really has nothing he tries to go after OTHER material the author has worked on. Why? Probably because the book is very accurate in its predictions and this moron doesn't want to admit it.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
earthobservatory.nasa.gov...
So, if we were to propel ourselves into an ice age, the earth would warm up at first and there would be unusual weather. Then when the cooling period actually starts, if the major climate change weren't to happen overnight, then it would seem as though everything was going back to normal again because temperatures would sink. Then it would get progressively colder, or colder for longer periods of time.
Or, it could happen very quickly, as I seem to think of it, in which large masses of cold air would hit the already existing large masses of warm air.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Yeah i was about to say something about the book that the guy attacked in his review. Art himself on his radio show said that the movie is a science fiction movie that is loosely based on the book The Coming Global Superstorm. So the movie is partialy based in reality.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join