It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thai billboard with Hitler causes diplomatic flap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Thai billboard with Hitler causes diplomatic flap

hosted.ap.org

A highway billboard using a saluting Adolf Hitler to advertise a Thai wax museum has been covered up after complaints from the Israeli and German ambassadors, the museum's manager said Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Hmmm. It wasn't as if this was a billboard glorifying Hitler and his genocidal actions. It was only advertising a wax museum. I think this was taken way too seriously. Also, it appears that the Isrealis and German ambassadors were the only ones to have such a reaction to it. I get the impression that they ride up and down countries finding things related to Hitler to complain about...

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I don't know -- I'm opposed to the "nanny-state" we live in most of the time -- but surely they could have used the likeness of someone else to promote the museum.

I don't see one benefit of using Hitler's image over any other.
It's not as if Hitler had any redeeming qualities worthy of attention.

This was done in really poor taste IMO. Hitler is one figurehead that universally is spoken about with disgust -- well, except for Iran maybe...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Actually, Hitler had many redeeming qualities. Even in Texas schools they taught us that he was a great leader and taught us the many accomplishments he achieved and the achievements of Germany under his leadership.

It wasn't until WWII that everybody started hating on Hitler.
as for the bad stuff associated with Hitler, he didn't do all that by himself. He had an nation of people that allowed and/or supported his actions.

The museum very well could have used a different personality for the billboard. But they didn't. I think they should be able to do what they want.

The advertisement has obviously received a lot of publicity due to it's controversial nature, no doubt that was the intended effect.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by slimpickens93]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
I don't know -- I'm opposed to the "nanny-state" we live in most of the time -- but surely they could have used the likeness of someone else to promote the museum.

I don't see one benefit of using Hitler's image over any other.
It's not as if Hitler had any redeeming qualities worthy of attention.

This was done in really poor taste IMO. Hitler is one figurehead that universally is spoken about with disgust -- well, except for Iran maybe...

Ethnocentrism is the tendency to believe that one's ethnic or cultural group is centrally important, and that all other groups are measured in relation to one's own. The ethnocentric individual will judge other groups relative to their own particular ethnic group or culture, especially with concern to language, behavior, customs, and religion.

Hitler, and Nazi Germany, did not have a significant presence or impact in Thailand as far as I know.

Pol-Pot, Emperor Hirohito, and other entities of South East Asia on the other hand... did have large cultural influences. To the Thai... Hitler is just some famous European bad guy. And, if this is this is one of the museums I'm thinking about, Hitler is pretty flippin tame compared to some of the stuff they have on display there. One of them in Malaysia has displays centered around torture devices. Mostly the sort of things you would expect in a blood and gore movie like Saw, but from the historical record.

Hitler is much hyped by self avowed victims. He's a PC bogeyman. What Hitler did is no more abhorrent than the other evil entities that the Human Race produces from time to time... but for some reason, people tend to ignore their actions in popular discussion. Hitler has become an Avatar... an advertising icon that people wrap themselves in to cry "victim." All the Thai museum did was to use this advertising icon to actually advertise.

Uncle Joe (Stalin)

According to the declassified Soviet archives, during 1937 and 1938, the NKVD detained 1,548,367 victims, of whom 681,692 were shot - an average of 1,000 executions a day. Historian Michael Ellman claims the best estimate of deaths brought about by Soviet Repression during these two years is the range 950,000 to 1.2 million, which includes deaths in detention and those who died shortly after being released from the Gulag as a result of their treatment in it. He also states that this is the estimate which should be used by historians and teachers of Russian history.

The Great Purge

Killing Fields

Pol Pot became the de facto leader of Cambodia in mid-1975. During his time in power, Pol Pot imposed a version of agrarian collectivization, forcing city dwellers to relocate to the countryside to work in collective farms and forced labor projects, toward a goal of "restarting civilization" in "Year Zero". The combined effects of slave labor, malnutrition, poor medical care, and executions resulted in the deaths of an estimated 1.7 to 2.5 million people, approximately 21% of the Cambodian population.

Pol Pot

Killing Fields

Wikipedia's Genocides in History article.

There, I said it. I'll probably get another penalty for stating my opinion by the mods.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by RoofMonkey]

new topics

top topics

join