It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm finding the ATS site navigation very confusing....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
With all due respect to ATS, I'm finding the ATS site navigation very confusing.
Although I am new to the membership, I have dropped by many times to view the topics, post and mindset of it's members.

I decided to become a member because I appreciated what I reviewed.
However, with that said, I find myself, (still) being challenged by the navigation within the site.
I find the pages over-crowded, loud and confusing to navigate. Clarity in the navigation areas may be simple to the developers and the initiated, but can be extremely intimidating to newcomers and visitors.
I hope that you will absorb this remark with it's intended purpose, of being from a new comers point of view. In no way is this comment meant to diminish the fine work that those of you do at ATS, nor the contributers/members.

With Respect,
Retorque (deh)

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I use "recent posts", "HOT" and "TOP" to find the stuff.

The actual navigation to the subforums is very messy so I dont use it.

Oh, and welcome to the site. Some of the content here is stunning and very eye-opening.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Retorque

If you have any direct nav questions I'd be happy to help I was a bit overwhelmed at first but trust me it's just a time thing ya know gets easyer as you go.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Retorque

This is the New Member Introductions thread.

Since this is a introduction forum, I welcome you to AboveTopSecret.com. Any Questions, please feel free to ask.

~ The Doo ~

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

I'll second that. With all due respect to the designer, it's clunky beyond belief. There's too much overlap in function with the front page and the 'board home' page. I don't understand the need for the front page layout at all as hot topics, top flagged and so on are offered in a slightly less bulky way on the 'board home' page. Even that, due to the insistence on using large icons, makes everything seem big and clunky and adding to the amount of scrolling you have to do to find something. Scrolling within a thread is one thing as you are expecting sequential text but scrolling in order to actually navigate as much as you do is clumsy.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Welcome. It only takes time. Hot Top Recent posts member profile has your posts listed. About all I use.

Oh yeah 2nd line.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
OK, then how do I flag a good thread or post?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

You can only flag a thread, whereas you can star a post. To flag a thread, click the little red square button at the top of the first post of the thread. To star a post, simply click one of the greyed-out star directly above the post you want to rate. When you've starred that post, the greyed-out star become light blue and a new greyed-out star appears next to it in case another poster wants to rate the post.

EDIT You can't always flag or star a thread or a post. Threads such as the introductions forum and so on.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Thank you very much

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
If you go to the top of this (or any ) thread, you'll see a little red box, just about the thread on the left hand side with "flag" Click the button

Also, in the top of peoples posts, you'll see a little star, sometimes there's lots of blue stars, that's like a mini flag, you can star posts that you think are good. But saying that, I don't think these stars are in the posts in this bit, or the board questiony bit.

Merriman got there first....

BAck the the original question, I also fiund this place very over whealming when I first joined. Lots of forums (fora?) But you soon get used to it, it just takes a little getting used to. You'll see that this is a good way of having so many different topics in 1 place. The "recent posts" button is your friend. Also, if you click on member tools and view your profile, you can view the posts you've made, so if you want to keep track of topics you've been posting in, but have forgotten where these threads where this is a good way of keeping an eye on it.

[edit on 18/10/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Ye its a nightmare! Ive posted a few threads about the bad layout but I just get nippy messages from the mods

its like a maze of crazyness.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Oh, and welcome to the site. Some of the content here is stunning and very eye-opening.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Copernicus]

I never used those. I always use News Firehose and ATS Firehose. I wonder what I've been missing? Since I've come to this board, I've always wondered if I was using it to it's full advantage. You don't know what you don't know.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Also, if you click on member tools and view your profile, you can view the posts you've made, so if you want to keep track of topics you've been posting in, but have forgotten where these threads where this is a good way of keeping an eye on it.

Clicking on myATS will take you to a page with your favorite forums and a list of the last 50 threads you posted in that are still active. Much easier than going to your profile to find threads you've been posting in.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It takes awhile to get used to.

I'm still trying to find out how every thing works.

Hope you enjoy your time on here!

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retorque

With all due respect to ATS, I'm finding the ATS site navigation very confusing.

I totally agree.....it is a total MESS.....

When I enter ATS, I feel like I'm entering the funhouse at the carnival......every click of the mouse or turn of the page is a NEW BOLD AVENTURE that one must take a study course on to figure out where you are and how to get back to where you were......

I gave you a flag (the 1st flag) for your post......it's 23/10/09, you posted this on 18/10/09 and I just now managed to find it...... and I found this post because I have been lost in this matrix of confusion

I've been here over 2 months and I am still completely lost.....I'm sure if all the new people who join were able to find this thread.....you would probably have over 100 flags....

PEACE and LOVE...

top topics

join