It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dept of Defense Interrogations Background Briefing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 04:02 AM
link   
"LAWRENCE DIRITA (Pentagon spokesman): Good afternoon. We have actually an opportunity today with a couple of people that happen to be in town -- one person who happens to be in town, another who's here most of the time. There's been a lot of discussion about the question of the Geneva -- the applicability of the Iraq conflict and the Geneva protocols. There's been questions about what techniques are being used in Iraq. There's been a lot of discussion across a series of hearings over the last 10 days or so that has left room for clarity. So we thought it would be useful to have the people who were much more directly involved in exactly how those procedures were determined and on what basis they were determined come in to talk with you today."

www.defenselink.mil...

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this diva.

I don't understand why that document is copyrighted.Afterall it's a government site detailing an interview with pentagon employees.

Putting that aside.One paragraph from the text.

"We think on or about 18 October there was a slide produced. And you all have probably seen that, and I think it was in The Washington Post. That slide was posted up on the wall of the Joint Interrogation and Debriefing Center, the JIDC. That slide was styled, "Interrogation Rules of Engagement," which is a term, frankly, I don't like. Really, it ought to be "Interrogation Policy Extract," because that's what it is, it's a summary, it's an extract. In effect, if you read it -- and I encourage you to -- it is an admonition, because on the left column of that particular slide it lists "approaches." Now, remember I said our policy was classified? But if you look at the list on the left, you'll see the approaches that are contained within that 12 October policy."

Reading this it seems that although the policy is classified the basic tenents of the policy have already been published in the Washington Post.The un-named officer is basically saying that he can't say what the policy is but if we look at here we'll see what it is.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this "slide"?

new topics

join