It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Russia Pledges to Finish Iran Reactor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Russia will finish construction of a nuclear reactor in Iran, dispite strong objections from the United States. A strict UN controls will guarantee no nuclear fuel can be enriched to weapons-grade material. "Otherwise we won't supply it", said Sergei Antipov, deputy head of the Federal Nuclear Power Agency.

TheMoscowTimes.com

The United States accuses Iran of trying to build such a bomb under the cover of what Tehran insists is a peaceful nuclear energy program based around the planned $800 million Russian-built reactor at Bushehr.

Antipov said Moscow will supply fuel for the reactor only on the condition that spent fuel be returned, although he said the commercial terms for this have not yet been agreed with Iran.

"Definitely, that is our demand. Otherwise we won't supply it," Antipov said in an interview during a visit to Germany. "The only question that's being discussed is price."

He said the Iranians are arguing that Moscow should sell the fuel more cheaply if it is going to take it back at the end of the reactor cycle. "It's a commercial issue, not a defense or technical question," he said.

Related News Stories
- Iran Said to be Ready to Disclose Nuclear Program
- Iran Warns Israel of Retaliation if Nuclear Facilities Are Attacked

Related Websites
- GlobalSecurity.org: Iran's Nuclear Facilities
- Iran Nuclear Resources
- PDF File: Iran�s Nuclear Facilities: a Profile

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Well thank you Putin!

And this is supposed to give me comfort and reassurance.

A strict UN controls will guarantee no nuclear fuel can be enriched to weapons-grade material. "Otherwise we won't supply it", said Sergei Antipov, deputy head of the Federal Nuclear Power Agency.

Has the UN ever been able to guarantee anythhing?

They are about as lame as you can get. Come to think of it, if the UN is at all involved in thwe NWO, we have nothing to worry about with the NWO!

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
yeah i believe this about as much as i believed clinton when he said that north korea wasnt going to be able to produce weapons grade material with the stffu he gave them...

sorry but russia just seems like it WANTS trouble in the world.

and no the UN hasnt been able to guarantee anything except for talking and more talking and a whole lot of inaction. they love to talk and pass resolutions they have no intentions of enforcing. they love to "condemn" things but enver take action to stop the actions they condemn or try to prevent them.

some of the biggest human rights violators are on the human rights commitee.

the UN is a joke.a farce...they are bad comedy.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The only possible "legitimate" purpose or reason I can see for Russia moving forward is simply because they need the money. That doesn't excuse it in any way but it may help explain it. Then again, does the world need, or should I say, should the world be put at risk for yet another Russian made nuclear reactor.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Tsk Tsk, the Russians seem to still want to make money even if it means more trouble for the world. The Russians should know what Israel will do if Iran is allowed to do this. Prankmonkey, I agree with you, Russia wants trouble in the world and they want the U.S to be in the middle of it....

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Here's a list of countries with nuclear reactors:

EIA.DOA.gov

United States of America 104 units
France 57 units
Japan 53 units
United Kingdom 33 units
Russia 30 units
Canada, 21 units
Germany 19 units
South Korea 16 units
India 14 units
Ukraine 13 units
Sweden 11 units
Spain 9 units
Belgium 7 units
Bulgaria 6 units
Slovak Republic 6 units
Taiwan 6 units
Switzerland 5 units
Czech Republic 4 units
Finland 4 units
Hungary 4 units
China 3 units
Argentina 2 units
Brazil 2 units
Lithuania 2 units
Mexico 2 units
Pakistan 2 units
South Africa 2 units
Armenia 1 unit
Netherlands 1 unit
Romania 1 unit
Slovenia 1 unit

I wonder how many of those countries have nuclear weapons or are currently developing them?

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I guess you are saying its ok for a terrorist country who has made several threats and attacks before to Israel to have nuclear capabilities.

If anything everyone in the world, except Russia maybe, knows that Iran having nuclear capabilities is a bad idea, look to what is happening to North Korea and all the threats they have made to use them, if it continues like this probably one day they will use them.

Iran having the same capabilities will make things worse, do you want to add more problems to the world?

new topics

top topics

join