It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thinking about buying a netbook......what do you all think?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
thinking about this model..

www.bestbuy.com...

◦Intel® Celeron® processor 353
Features a 400MHz frontside bus, 512KB L2 cache and 900MHz processor speed.
◦1GB DDR2 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 2GB.
◦Note: Optical drive not included
Compatible with optional external recordable CD/DVD drives (not included).
◦8.9" WSVGA widescreen LED display
With 1024 x 600 resolution showcases your movies and games in stunning clarity.
◦160GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Provides plenty of space for storage.
◦Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
For intense detail.
◦Built-in 0.3MP webcam and microphone
Let you video chat with friends and family.
◦Built-in media reader
Supports Secure Digital and MultiMediaCard formats for fast and easy digital photo transfer.
◦3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
Ensure fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
◦Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
Lets you connect to the Internet without wires.
◦10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector
Provides easy Internet access.
◦Weighs only 2.5 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin
For lightweight portability.
◦Good battery life
Of up to 3 hours and 5 minutes.
◦Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition operating system
With Service Pack 3 (SP3) preinstalled for a stable operating platform.
◦Software package included
With Microsoft Works and Adobe Acrobat Reader.

---------------------------------

i just want something i can get on the web with and listen to my music on. the price does not seem bad but i am looking for some feedback from people that might have one or are in the know about them

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I've not owned an Asus computer, so I can't vouch for that.

However, I've owned 2 netbooks in the last 6 months. The first one I bought was the Acer Aspire One 10" screen in Sapphire blue. The thing was a total POS. Ran so slowly. Even after deleting GIGS of bloat, disabling add-ons, disabling startup programs and upgrading to 2GB ram, the thing still ran like sh*&. God it was such a POS. Sold it for $20 less than I bought it for and bought a Toshiba NB205 10" screen, white in color. I upgraded the ram to 2GB as well and the thing runs like a champ. Haven't even uninstalled bloatware yet. So fast. Runs a little hot, but that's a minor complaint. 8 hr battery life, hubby loves the "Mac Like" look - very modern.

I would definitely look at 2 netbooks - one with a 8.9" screen and one with a 10" screen. I use this netbook for everything. Work, play, ats, streaming Netflix, music. I sometimes feel that even the 10" is a slight hinderance. In an ATS thread if someone embeds a YT clip, I sometimes can't see the entire video while its in my browser (I can full screen it and its fine, but if I don't, the top and bottom of the video are sometimes trimmed by the browser).

I also recommend upgrading the memory since I'm the ultimate multi-tasker, but I'm a memory wh*re so maybe that's just me.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
i'm definately going to get it in the next couple weeks. i had to sell my laptop last year cause i fell on hard times. i need to be mobile again..

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Asus generally makes really good products, a friend of mine (over a decade ago) purchased a motherboard/processor combo from them, and it still works perfectly, granted its only a 700mhz processor lol. the specs are great, the price is unbeatable, depending on what you want to do with it, I would suggest upgrading to the 2gb of ram as vista has 1 gb ram min, and win7 I don't know the min ram requirements.... When you do buy it, make sure you create restore discs, and honestly, DOWNGRADE to windows xp.... your machine will be lightning fast! (but for the backup discs your gonna need the optical drive) the reason i tell you to make the discs, is because if you don't you will void your warranty when changing the operating systems

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Morbo the Annihilator

You know they do make a pad sort of thing with fans in it to keep your computer cooler.... some plug into usb ports, and others the wall. some both! if your worried about overheating, check into one of them. personally I dislike laptops except for when on the move. I'd prefer to have a Desktop any day, but thats because I'm a tech geek who likes to be able to do whatever i want with my machine and not be confined when it comes to computers......

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well, I 've had 2 netbooks. The first was an Asus with no hard drive but some kind of solid state ram instead (this is supposed to extend battery life). However, having no hard drive made it next to useless for anything other than basic word processing, so I sold the POS.

I now have a Samsung NC10, which is MUCH better - I'd totally recommend it. Practically full size keys, which is very unusual, good battery life, etc. Worth checking out, depending on what you need it for. I use it mainly for word processing, music, and downloading films to the hard drive so I can watch them on the train, etc - and it handles this fine.

new topics

top topics

join