It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sneaky Microsoft plug-in puts Firefox users at risk

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
www.annoyances.org...yeah i deleted this plug-in months ago,its better top do it properly, not just disable it.this is a link to the instructions.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by pauldamo]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I've never been a fan of Microsoft's automatic updates since you never know how they will affect your system. I remember years ago I did an update and it screwed up my pc. I called up Dell's technical help and the technician (probably from Pakistan or somewhere remote where you couldn't understand what he was saying very well) told me to never update my pc with microsoft windows updates. That was his solution to prevent problems in the future. I lost my faith in Dell's technical support at that moment but maybe he was right.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I also got the notification just minutes ago. All I had to do was restart Firefox and they disabled it for me right away. S&F for the info for those who did not get the automatic notification. You guys are quick!

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Thank you for alerting me to this. I just uninstalled it. I remember when I got the popup I was in the middle of playing a MMORPG and it made my computer go all wonky on me, I wasn't sure what came of it, but I just checked and it was there.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I did not get the notification oh wait I am not running microsoft anything....

sorry could not help it. This is why I do not want to use anything by them. I worked on comps for 8 years. The only thing microsoft blocks with their security is the ability to fix the @@#@ up OS. Good thing is you can break their poor security or just wipe and reinstall. I will not get long winded but I quit the comp repair scene because of vista.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm curious to see if there will be any kind of legal action against Microsoft for this. Looks like they definitely did it intentionally to interfere with a competitor. Could it be considered Virus/malicious content? Is there a possibility of legal action against them? (I'm a little lacking in knowledge about this particular thing and just curious.)

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Had the same 2 plug-ins automatically disable in firefox today as well. It asked me and recommended disabling so I thought firefox knows best!

F*ck Microsoft, after paying an extortionate amount for Vista, and not getting windows 7 discounted they can sh*t off because I ain't gonna' ever use Internet explorer. IE crashes after loading up more than 1 tab anyway. If firefox were incompatible with windows updates permanently, there would be law suits. I still wouldn't use IE, I'd go with google chrome or whatever else there were. And if Microsoft disabled all of those I'd go with an obscure browser from anywhere before using IE. I can't stand IE. How can microsoft not produce a browser than just works without crashing and without taking ages to load up a new tab!

[edit on 17-10-2009 by john124]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Yup, loyal Firefox user here. No Microsoft for me.

I disabled all updates from Microsoft on my computer. It runs like a top too. I truly believe that the updates just pack in a bunch of junk into your computer, slows it down, then, guess what: time for a new computer so it will run faster!

I have yet to see any harm in declining updates.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Well, I'm happy that I don't use neither firefox nor IE
There are much better browsers out there anyway.
Just makes ya think about what else m$ might be planting in your systems doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
What sucks about MS is that you HAVE to keep IE on your system in order to get updates. Mozilla and other browsers are blocked. I have one system I have to keep Windows on (work related) but I removed .NET framework from it, it's not worth keeping and it frees up a lot of disk space and resources. It's nothing but a load of vulnerabilities waiting to be exploited.

It kills me that the corporate world is so beholden to MS's garbage, that's about the only thing keeping IE alive, as I'm sure the majority of people would gladly switch to a far better and safer browser like FF.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this

deleted the add on

What a hide Microsoft
from what we have seen from them over the years i am not surprised anymore. They are not honest, and their programs are fat and slow down our computers because of all the fault and error files needed to run them.

Ocker

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
It kills me that the corporate world is so beholden to MS's garbage, that's about the only thing keeping IE alive, as I'm sure the majority of people would gladly switch to a far better and safer browser like FF.

Safer? home.comcast.net...
Check that out and think again.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Hi, Firefox fans.

A little joke here, if I may:

Did you know you can NOT steal/rob Micro$crap ???
NO ! You "recuperate" from them ! ! ! B-))))

You recuperate the loooooooong time you lost
to repair their NUMEROUS crashes.
You recuperate the wear and tear that it does to your 'puter.
You recuperate the time lost in this thread.
You recuperate the time to repair Firefox.
. . .etc. . .

Did any (older) ones notice that:
Excel = Lotus ?
Word = WordPerfect ?
Mouse = Apple idea! ?
GUI = Apple idea! (Graphic User Interface) ?
Xbox = OTHER's idea ?
Defrag = Norton's one ?
Backup = SHELL.EXE ?
Browser = Everybody knows ! ! ! B-)
Etc. . . = Etc. . .
I ask myself if that company had ANY original idea ???

And. . . hurrrrray for Linux, right ??

Blue skies.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Just for your information...I had a long conversation about a year ago with a man who worked for Norton. Now granted, I didn't ask him to prove it, but here is what he said. When you install Norton Anti Virus, you are installing a virus into your Windows computer. The virus is on a timer, and when the time is up, the virus is released. Then Norton will pop up and tell you you need to "upgrade" to get rid of this virus. How many of you Norton users have seen this? All you need to is input your credit card number.....

Having had many problems with Windows, I made the switch to Linux a long time ago, and will never go back. Linux is safer, faster, comes with many games, no "Blue Screen of Death," no virus ever, and secure as can be. I use Fedora myself. Kill the Microsoft Billionaire Beast...download Linux for free.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Microsoft wonders why so many people don't like it. I only ever use firefox, with chrome when I want to be in two yahoo accounts at the same time, but the computer came with Vista. The other night it wanted to install updates. It gave the the option of now, in 10 minutes or postpone. I postponed because I was in the middle of something important. About a half hour later, my machine shut itself down to install the updates. I was in the midst of cutting and pasting, dragging and dropping lots of files from one folder into another. I didn't know till it rebooted, and with Vista that takes forever even without the updates, if the c&p took or if I had lost my files. I don't like that. I didn't pay $800 for this laptop to have it tell me what it's going to do and when it's going to do it. Is there a way I can stop it from making itself independent?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It is simple.....STOP USING WINDOWS!!!! Why feed the beast??
Migrate to Linux. Have an operating system that works and costs....NOTHING!!!
And so many choices....Ubuntu, Mandriva, Open suse, GOS etc
distrowatch

You will be happy you converted and will try to convert others.

FREE, STABLE, CHOICE!!
If you have to run windows programs, then use a virtual machine in Linux Like VMware.
OPEN SOURCE = FREEDOM

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Pretty interesting coincidence. I have been having major .net framework problems this past week. In fact, it got so bad I just reinstalled windows on my computer yesterday. My computer tried to update windows with the 3.5 framework, and it pretty must bugged my computer to the point that i couldn't download any frameworks and many programs no longer worked. Thanks for the heads up, I currently only have 1.1 installed.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

Mouse = Xerox
GUI - Xerox

MS and Apple/Mac stole those ideas and others from the Xerox think tank. and yes they did build a system with mouse and GUI.

www.cedmagic.com...

added link

not being a jerk just trying to give info

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Dracmoor]

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Dracmoor]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Wow. Well at least I now why my computer got DESTROYED two times in the last year.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dracmoor

Hi, Dracmoor.
Thanks for the "precisions". . . B-)

And on another comparison session, what about:
WinNT = Digital ?

While "playing" with them, I noticed that
WinNT and Linux seem to BOTH be UNIX inspired ?
Example: the attributes of files,
Win/DOS = RASH
NT/Linux = rwx rwx rwx

And FYI and all's info, I am "still" on WinNT 2000 PRO SP4,
and newly on Linux Ubuntu. I love both. Never a BSoD !
I did start with Slackware Linux. . . in 1999 B-)
...and before that ???! ! ! The VIC-20 from C=

Blue skies.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join