It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know any islands that are beautiful and somewhat remote?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Does anyone know any island’s in the world that is beautiful and somewhat remote? Not totally deserted but one that doesn’t have that much inhabitants?

A List, or personal experiences would be highly appreciated!

Thank You,

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have only been to Jekyll Island, Ga but it is both beautiful and remote. Only 35% of the island can be developed and the rest must remian in its natural state.
The loggerhead turtles return to the beaches every year to lay thier eggs. I have yet to see them but will be so exctited when I do. You can fish or ride around at night and see the tiny deer. May is shark breeding season so you can catch lots of baby sharks(and return them to the ocean of course) This year we caught a ton of them it was really cool to hold them(my kids loved it) I can get the dolphins to swim right next to me and have fed them a few times. It is my most favorite place in the whole wide world.

[edit on 10/17/2009 by concerned190]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Are we talking islands in a certain part of the world or islands all over the world?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Yeah, around the world

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Well I know of a couple of Australian islands...

Like Macqaurie Island and Lord Howe Islands....both spectacular in their own way. Only problem with Macquarie is, you can only get there if you are a scientists or weatherman like myself

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'm sure that there are literally hundreds if not thousands of beautiful islands around the world that would fit your description. Unless you can narrow down your criteria somewhat, I'm going to have to off you my own personal favorite.

I've been able to travel a bit through the Caribbean over the years and I've seen a number of islands. For the most part, most seem be the same. Certainly, they differ in various aspects -- topographically, culturally, politically, etc. One island, however did seem to strike me as, well, special.

"Tortola is a mountainous island 13.5 miles (19 km) long and 3 miles (5 km) wide, with an area of 21.5 square miles (55.7 square km)." Source.
It's a lush green island with picturesque houses, lovely anchorages and quaint shops surrounded by the bluest waters imaginable.

Although the island is inhabited by nearly 25,000, it's easy enough to feel entirely isolated on it's white sand beaches or surrounded by it's lush, dense vegetation. In fact, it's simple to sit under a hot Caribbean sun on white sea-washed sands and fantasize that you are the last soul on earth. But, then, it's just as easy to get up and walk to a nearby bar on the beach to grab another Corona.... to me, at least, Tortola is paradise.

[edit on 10/18/2009 by benevolent tyrant]

new topics

top topics

join