It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan fights 'mother of all battles' with the Taliban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
From the BBC:

The fighting in South Waziristan is fierce and it is intense. Local administration officials say the Taliban are resisting fiercely as troops try to push into their territory.
Dozens of casualties have taken place, they say, and both sides are using heavy weapons.

Is this the taliban end-game for them? They'll soon have nowhere to hide as Pakistan and the US squashes them.

If the taliban have any secret WMDs, then if they're about to be defeated, they could use them! Some threads point to terrorist attacks in the west soon.

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/6359467/Pakistan-fights-mother-of-all-battles-with-the-Taliban.html]www.telegraph.co.uk[/ url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
You cant beat the taliban, when one dies, theres another one ready to take his place..

Its not gonna happen.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ignorance Denied

You seem to be confusing the Taliban with the undead.

2nd line.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hopefully, Pakistan takes it to them. Stability in Central Asia and a decrease in terror attacks is in the hands of Pakistan, not the U.S.

If Pakistan fails, expect us to fail in Afghanistan as well. That cannot happen. The thought of 9/11/01 being a victory for al-Qaeda and the terrorists makes me sick.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
reply to post by Ignorance Denied

You seem to be confusing the Taliban with the undead.

Star!

Rarely do you I seem to see eye to eye but...

I think the Taliban's reputation have reached mythic proportions.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, I hope they seek and destroy successfully. What do you think their chances are, and how many militants are they expecting in resistance?

[edit on 17-10-2009 by AK49er]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AK49er

Pakistan is a known Taliban hideout during the winter months from their fight in Afghanistan that's why there is the new big Pakistani push being assembled. This is also why McCrystal is asking for more troops. 13000 to be exact. Once the Pakistanis push them out of their safe haven they will flood back into Afghanistan.

From one of my earlier threads.

Pakistan Braces for Taliban Attacks as It Prepares Offensive

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The Pakistani interior minister said Tuesday that the government was expecting more attacks by the Taliban as the military prepared to launch a major offensive in South Waziristan, the rugged northwestern tribal region considered a stronghold of Taliban.

Obama's Afghanistan decision easier than claimed

President Obama has what everyone is conceding is a momentous decision on Afghanistan. The decision is whether to follow the recommendations of General McCrystal and send in more troops or not.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

This is what happens when you bite the hand that feeds you.Because of recent attacks they spurred the Pakistanis to take back to the region.Before there was no reason to clear out the Taliban the region wasn't worth the cost but looks like things changed with the Taliban going after Pakistan.

It was the third major attack in Pakistan this week, adding fresh urgency to the Pakistan army's plan to mount a much anticipated ground offensive in the Taliban's mountainous base in South Waziristan, along the Afghan border. Earlier this week, the Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the bombing of the Islamabad office of the World Food Program (WFP), which killed five people. The militant group is also believed to be behind a devastating suicide bombing in a Peshawar marketplace on Friday that killed 49 people. With Saturday's attack, the government has been left with "no other option" but to hit back, Interior Minister Rehman Malik told a local news channel. "We will have to proceed. All roads are leading to South Waziristan."

This makes me wonder why they would attack Pakistan it really makes no sense to take away the only place you can hide.

top topics

join