It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's military peers into future, and it's scary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Found this article on the Toronto Star website. A little unusual if you ask me. Of course, the militaries of the world need to plan for hypothetical situations, and prepare for worst case scenarios. It's just not often that they make their predictions public like this. Very gloomy indeed, if they are proven to be accurate.

It does provide some insight into what the governments/military are quietly preparing for:

The report predicts that oil prices will have doubled, tripled or quadrupled by 2019, unmanned attack aircraft will police the skies, and the Arctic will have become the zone of interest for the world's great powers.

The introduction of national military service for new Canadians in 2016 to tackle large immigration flows and a depleted military.

War between India and Pakistan that sparks clashes in B.C.'s Lower Mainland and Ontario suburbs where refugee and immigrant populations from the two countries have settled.

A Taliban sleeper cell poisons the Montreal water system, killing and sickening thousands. Hospitals are swamped, the U.S. border closes and tourism plummets.

A large-scale Canadian military deployment to Afghanistan in 2016 to ensure Canadian business has free access to protectionist U.S. markets.

I found this one interesting, it appears that the military may be preparing an elite commando squad (I assume) to pre-emptively strike at terrorists abroad, which is a first for the Canadian military that I know of. The only other Canadian "commando" squads that come to mind are the Devil's Brigade, which fought alongside the Americans in WW2.
Devil's Brigade

A lethal, all-commando Canadian army may not stay in Kandahar, but it will be fighting terrorists in a geographic rainbow known as the "arc of instability" – a region stretching from western Africa, through the Middle East and into Southeast Asia.

"These areas have also traditionally served as potential safe havens for terrorists in developing, organizing and preparing for asymmetric attacks against the developed world," says the report, produced earlier this year by the Canadian Forces Aerospace Warfare Centre.

No more country-to-country wars for Canada. Instead, soldiers will face shadowy enemies in weak or failed states with little regard for civilian safety.

Interesting times indeed.

Canada's military peers into the future, and it's scary

[edit on 17-10-2009 by kommunist]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

War between India and Pakistan that sparks clashes in B.C.'s Lower Mainland and Ontario suburbs where refugee and immigrant populations from the two countries have settled.

I was especially struck by that prediction. That is a scenario that could come true in the US as well. The troubles in France are a good example of what happens with immigrant/refugee populations when they are discriminated against, poor or jobless, and threatened with further persecution. It wouldn't take much to start the fire.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Wow, as a fellow Canadian I am a little upset by these claims.

I mean, it's nice for the Canadian Military to plan for these sorts of doomsday scenarios, but we don't have that kind of military capability just lying around now do we?

At what cost would these programs be? How much Canadian life would be placed in danger by such long standing missions abroad?

Mini America seems to be coming along nicely eh?

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Very much so.

So much for ending the Afghan mission in 2011, it seems the military's plan is to expand it to other countries as well.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I found this one interesting, it appears that the military may be preparing an elite commando squad (I assume) to pre-emptively strike at terrorists abroad, which is a first for the Canadian military that I know of. The only other Canadian "commando" squads that come to mind are the Devil's Brigade, which fought alongside the Americans in WW2.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by kommunist]

Well we do have these guys- www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca...
and from what I've read, they are pretty damned effective.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
its about time canada started kickin some ass.
and i absolutely agree that immigrants should be made to do mandatory service. it will make them intigrate better and become better canadians, instead of moving into a neighborhood full of thier countrymen. i spent 7 great yrs in the army

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

speaking of depleted military, i do not believe we have enough to defend our soil w/the exception of foreign troops already on u.s. soil; however, i don't think they are here for our protection.......to the contrary.

the outlook for both canada and the u.s. looks bleak.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
But wouldnt making our Canadian Army mostly immigrants not really be in our best interest?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Le Colonel
But wouldnt making our Canadian Army mostly immigrants not really be in our best interest?

I was thinking the same thing. Of course the other option is do the Isreal/swiss thing and have mandatory service for those 18 years old.. say 3 years. That should give us a huge boost in manpower. All of my friends in the Canadian military are getting old and nearing retirement.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I don't think mandatory service in this climate would actually be a good thing. Considering that we aren't fighting a war which is ours anymore, and it's not in our interest, I would not condone my child being in the military today.

Now WWII different story, but as it stands today, I won't support an army that fights for bankers rather than the country they are from.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Does anyone know the name of the actual report, and better yet where to find it? I really need to read thru the martial law and technological totalitarian (combet drones as police) sections.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I believe this is what you're looking for.

www.airforce.forces.gc.ca...

[edit on 18-10-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Brown

I was especially struck by that prediction. That is a scenario that could come true in the US as well. The troubles in France are a good example of what happens with immigrant/refugee populations when they are discriminated against, poor or jobless, and threatened with further persecution. It wouldn't take much to start the fire.

The trouble in France had nothing to do with Indians or Pakistanis or the conflict between two different immigrant groups. It was recent immigrants and local French youth against the state.

This would have ZERO bearing on the US because firstly, the diversity of immigrants that come to the US and secondly, the fact that most immigrants communities from Asia are significantly better educated and have better economic prospects compared to the local domestic population.

Finally, the Canadian military report is one of the most idiotic documents ever released by a professional military body (if in fact it is actually genuine!) because should India and Pakistan actually go to war, the far bigger problem the world would face is not riots by local immigrant populations but rather the cloud of Radiation that would be traveling across the planet after both nations had finished their dust up. And add to this the millions of casualties of war and millions left after the war.

Focusing on some domestic trivialities as a result of such a cataclysmic event is utterly naive for any military strategist.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Interesting little 2 headed pengiun they have for the logo. Its like an illuminati eskimo edition symbol.

I think it may be wishful thinking to have the US shown as "stable" in that graphic, especially by 2019.

The exponential advance in the computing power of electronic technology, as expressed by Moore’s Law23 and as applied to decision-supporting intelligent agents, will assist leaders to analyse and apply responses in near real time. It is currently projected that artificial intelligence (AI) may arrive by 2025, though the near-AI capability in 2019 will begin to yield some benefits to society. Should the military adopt AI systems, they could effectively assist in decision functions but will not entirely replace the human component. Current ethical, moral and legal considerations will continue to require that human decision making remains within the firing sequence of weapons systems, including UAVs.

Boy is that an uninformed sketch. They refer to "Strong AI" or Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) as "AI". Funny thing is the "intelligent agents" would be AI. The Pentagon's DARPA already has such technology. The 'bots' in everyday video games are AI. Ever play Ms Pacman? The drones such as the "Predator" already use AI to fly around, and could fire on their own targets, but its setup so that they find potential targets and then its up to the operator to step in and press the button. If Canada has these types of drones they've already adopted "AI".

And beyond that they use Kurzweil's disinfo AGI projection. Kurzweil gives us some estimate based on about when an everyday desktop CPU will have the transistor power of a human brain. Meanwhile he's a DARPA shill, government agent, and completely leaves the sorts of projects publicly listed etc out of his projection. He speaks it in terms of it coming 'naturally' while skipping the programs / projects that are already shooting for the whole enchalada.
www.darpa.mil...

Contrary to the article, I didn't notice any suggestion about UAV's "policing the skies", which would to me imply domestically. UAV's already 'police the skies' in theatre of war type areas, and even some operate in the US, including Predator drones.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
A large-scale Canadian military deployment to Afghanistan? I can't see it, the opposition would dissolve parliament and there would be elections held. We'll boot the government at the drop of a hat, there's just no chance.

Beside that though, what I find sort of funny is that America plans for nuclear holocaust, Canada plans for scattered minority agitation.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
well at the very least i got the message that canada is trying to break away from large scale regional wars such as iraq, afghanistan, and whatever else the PTB keeps trying to get canada involved in

remember, canada was among the first to stand up against going to iraq, and sent to afghan as "peace" type operations

lets hope we stay out of it, as a canadian i hate seeing our forces tied up in these false wars

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
If anything it is probably sensational to try more funding... you are right sending a force to Afghanistan to make sure we get our share from the Americans? Share of what? Oil? Opium?

I would assume in such situation we would have alll of the military in the arctic areas defending our borders (resources) withjust the RCMP police-stating everyone.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I'm feeling lazy today, so here's my interpretation, as a Canadian, of the wikipedia article about Canadian SF.

Canadian Special Operations Forces Command operates 4 special operation task groups:

- Joint Task Force 2: Our primary special forces, probably the best trained in the world when it comes to counter-terrorism. If you want a pissed off Canadian smashing into your home through all of your windows and even some walls (if they're drunk enough), then you probably shouldn't piss them off.
- Canadian Special Operations Regiment: Because JTF-2 is so badass that they need a secondary backup just to make them look better.
- 427 Special Operations Aviation Squadron: What would JTF-2 be without its own elite helicopter support?
- Canadian Joint Incident Response Unit: (first I've heard of them actually) Provides NBC support for the government.

The article also brings up a very important point about how most career Canadian soldiers recieve elite training but are not necessarily classed as special forces (because you would need to be in CANSOFCOM to be official SF).

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I guess I can scratch my bug out plan then. I need that Rosetta Stone language cd on Norwegian.

new topics

top topics

join