It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your last day, to expand.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
God to earth, Satan to Heaven, and Nirvana to Pain.

If 'today was your last day', would it of been the last day you would of liked to live?

I guess I'll reiterate in MVideos because they 'get' the point across.

To ask honestly, to everyone member who reads this, a yes or no answer, if you were to die today, would it of been the greatest day you lived?

To me? Yes. yes it would've been the greates #in day of my life, yesterday wasn't, but what I faced today, to make it the greatest, I did, and tomorrow I plan the same! I went against all odss, and I stress all odds, you've never faced!!!! So you have no excuse!

Yesterday means #, those who have died have died, but you're alive, and you better make the best of it! So go on, and tell the rest of us, that you've made the best of the rest of life! As far as today is concerned!!!???

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Something like the emotions of 9/11 x 1000.

It would not be pretty. Most people are not ready to die.

So no, it wouldnt be the greatest day for me.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Something like the emotions of 9/11 x 1000.

It would not be pretty. Most people are not ready to die.

So no, it wouldnt be the greatest day for me.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Copernicus]

So in essence today if you were today, wouldn't be the greatest day of your life?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Today would be a great day to die.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

If this was my last day, it would not be the greatest day of my life, thats correct.

It may be the most emotional day though.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Good so far!

More then I expected!

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Ive waited about 8 months for this day, If I died today I would never get to experience what Ive been waiting for for so long. It is the result of 8 month's nurturing, effort and tender loving care. If I died today I'd never see the fruits
of my labor. So today would be a pretty bad day. I don't know if thats what your getting at, but like you say, all replies are good replies?

[edit on 17-10-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Ive waited about 8 months for this day, If I died today I would never get to experience what Ive been waiting for for so long. It is the result of 8 month's nurturing, effort and tender loving care. If I died today I'd never see the fruits
of my labor. So today would be a pretty bad day. I don't know if thats what your getting at, but like you say, all replies are good replies?

[edit on 17-10-2009 by woodwardjnr]

I assure you not all replies are good replies!

Just back to the OP though, if today was the day, would the day of yesterday, of been a good day?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

I am greatful to wake up each morning, take a deep breath and be greatful for what I have got. If this were my last day, I would be proud to have made it this far.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
No it wouldn't be the greatest day to die.
Only because IT hasn't happened yet and that's the only reason I am here.

On the other hand I have stared death in the face a few times and so I have lived my life to the fullest and done more than most people my age.
I have a few small regrets but nothing I could fix now.

Live everyday like your last, because one day it will be.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
No, the best moment of my life has long since passed, back in 98. Everything on earth seems so dull compared.

But no if i had my last day, it would be boring like the rest.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Carpe diem *or Noctum if you're nocturnal like I used to be
! Because NO ONE is promised tomorrow.
Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die!

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW
Today would be a great day to die.

KHAPLAUQ

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2852f41ab400.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This thread reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer is told that he should live every day as if it were his last.

He then sits down on the street sobbing: "I don't want to die! I'm too young!"

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
(This is not in direct reply to anything, it's just something I'd like to express, and this seems like the right thread to do it.)

I have always found the "live every day as if it were your last day" philosophy either psychologically naive or poorly phrased at best, disingenuous and pretentious at worst.

The reality of the human psyche is that, being as a society and as individuals intellectually more or less ignorant of the "purpose" of life and death, if any (intuitive inklings are another level), we can only enjoy happiness - for more than a few minutes, I mean - in anticipation of a future: that future when, we secretly hope, all will become clear and the revealed purpose of life will wipe away all tears and banish fear forever. (This sentiment, BTW, is also the driving force behind the quest for immortality. The quest for immortality is a quest for meaning.)

Human beings simply cannot function authentically, unless they are fear-less.
And knowing that any given day would be your last, would not contribute to a GENUINE experience of life. It may even instill you "fearlessness" - in the sense of removing certain social and/or personal reservations - but your experience of life would be propelled by the awareness that you are saying goodbye to everything (as far as you know). Even the things you thought you would - for once! - savour with no reservations, would be tinged by a poignancy that "normally" would not be a part of those experiences. You would not "expand" - the opposite would happen: your experience would be artificially streamlined to the extreme.
Saying goodbye is not a genuine experience of the fullness of life.

I say, live every day as if you had 5000 years to live!

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

we can only enjoy happiness - for more than a few minutes, I mean - in anticipation of a future...

There is something to that, isn't there? I wonder if it must be a future in which we participate personally (for example, is it enough that descendants will benefit,...).

A few weeks ago, I happened to locate online James Hilton's novel Lost Horizon (free to read because of a peculiarlity of Australian copyright laws). The premise there, of course, is that a group of people have a lifespan of a few centuries, barring accident.

One of the points Hilton make about them is that they have time to do things in an unhurried way. The "things" being typically cultural and even spiritual. They are not immortal, they will surely die, but they are long-lived, unless unlucky.

I say, live every day as if you had 5000 years to live!

So, it is interesting to think about how many years would be optimal. Maybe time to live is like what they say about inherited money: The ideal thing is to have enough to do anything you want, but not so much that you don't want to do anything

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits

There is something to that, isn't there? I wonder if it must be a future in which we participate personally (for example, is it enough that descendants will benefit,...).

I can only speak for myself (duh ;-), but I don't think so.
I believe even in those people who have children and can reasonably expect descendants - and who therefore may genuinely believe their wishes apply only to their descendants' future world - there is an underlying secret hope-against-hope that they will somehow (the word is emphasised for a reason) personally partake in it.

So, it is interesting to think about how many years would be optimal. Maybe time to live is like what they say about inherited money: The ideal thing is to have enough to do anything you want, but not so much that you don't want to do anything

And that - the last thing you said - is more or less what would happen, in my opinion.

I think man is wired in such a way that the dynamics of our "quest for meaning" would expand - or shrink - to fit the allotted (or expected) lapse of timespace. To put it very simply: if we had 500 or 5000 years to live, I think that in all likelihood the "quest for meaning" - and all the experiences it implies (including the perception of time itself) - would relax accordingly... and probably pick up speed at the moment when the final horizon would appear in sight.

Which is why I don't think there is an optimal number of years.
And, ironically, the ultimate "meaning" probably could be grasped in a single insight, in a fraction of a second. Like, NOW.
But that's fodder for another thread.

N.B. I wrote the first "draft" of this reply yesterday; I didn't like it, so I deleted it.
Today my thinking/writing is even worse than yesterday. So, based on experience, I dare not delete this one, too.

I'd rather add new thoughts, if need be, when - and if - my lights are back on. ;-)

P.S. (after having a look at the thread's current "dynamics"):

Amazing, how the most potentially interesting and thought-provoking threads wither into oblivion... There really is an epidemic of ADD ravaging this site.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

You never really die, thats just the experience of the physical density.

new topics

top topics

join