It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Money mistakenly transferred into my account

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
About a week ago over $10,000 was I assume mistakenly transferred into my account. It was just recently a banking holiday but the money is still there. I'm just wondering if it is a banking error or some poor/wealthy schmuck made a mistake. I thought it would just disappear on it's own but it has not.

I don't need any moral guidance I just would like to know what usually happens in these instances. Has this happened to anyone else before, if so what was the outcome? Due to the current economic environment I am more than happy to just let it sit there until the bank takes it or asks for it back.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DraconianKing

They'll probably eventually find their error, and take it back.

It would be tempting for me not to buy a few things personally though. But I imagine I would be held accountable for the money, so I would probably end up resisting.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DraconianKing

Depending where you live, if you dont notify the bank ( iw ould do it in writing via email today to ensure a paper trail, as well as a bank visit), you can by charged with theft.
It does happen a bit.
They always find it, even a year down the track, and then you not only have to pay it back, you may get a smack for spending it.
Zazz

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Depending where you live most banks have an toll free emergency line.
if you have a debit card then they most likely have a number.
Try and call that.
if not, first thing you should do is go to the bank in person and investigate it.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Man, what a dilemma.

The banker bastards have ripped you off, yet they have accidentally deposited $ into your acct. Oh, boy. You deserve to have that money, on account of how they have ripped you off, as well as the rest of us.

What I'd do is NOT go tell the bank that the money was accidentally deposited. Don't do that! What I'd do is to find out any applicable legal guidelines that may apply to this kind of situation. Do some surfing on the net first to find out if there are any statute of limitations that may apply -- there may be a period of time with which, if the $ remains in your acct for a period of time, it may be yours by default. I don't now, but I'd sure surf around a bit, if I were you.

And I'll ask a banker friend of mine about this kind of situation and I post what he says; you could do the same thing -- but don't go to the bank that you bank at -- go somewhere else.

And are there any people who work at banks here at BTS? Surely somebody would know something along these lines.

~Mozart

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
They took it back this morning, probably hoping nobody noticed.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This is my perspective, the banks screw people every day, now is YOUR CHANCE to screw them, It's their mistake, YOU didn't STEAL it, they GAVE you it, whether by mistake or not, it is now in YOUR possession, I'd remove it from the bank, and move it to another.... Hell a free 10k, I'd be happy with that....

new topics

top topics

join