It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is political correctness to blame for lack of coverage over horrific black-on-white killings in Amer

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The fundamental fallacy made by Empire throughout this thread lies in the notion that the "white race as a whole" exists as a conscious entity, which can be assigned a collective form of guilt or responsibility. It doesnt matter what "race" or "group" one is talking about, there is no such thing as a "collective entity", which acts as a "person".

Collections of individuals cannot exist without the individuals of which they are composed. Individuals, on the other hand, can exist without a collection. This "fact" illustrates that the individual is primary, and is the only entity which can be assigned person-hood, or assigned guilt or responsibility.

Empire's attempt to assign guilt and responsibility to a group, such as "the white race as a whole" is typical "collectivist" thinking, which based upon an ideological and philosophical fallacy. His whole argument depends upon this fallacy, and hence, the conclusions he reaches on that basis are inherently flawed. No matter how elegantly one's arguments might be, if they are based upon false assumptions, then the resultant arguments will also be false.

Unfortunately, this type of collectivist thinking is currently being taught throughout our education system, and equally unfortunately, this is precisely the type of thinking that directly leads to oppressive systems of government, where it is viewed as "ok" to sacrifice "individuals" for the sake of the "collective", or to oppress individuals because they belong to a "class", which is demonized as evil and counterproductive to the society taken as a "whole".

It was precisely this type of thinking that led Stalin and Mau to murder tens of millions of their own country men, for the sake of the "collective whole". It all starts from the false notion that the "whole" is more important than, and has a life independent from the individuals of which it is composed.

Empire, you seem to be an intelligent person, how can you fall for this fundamental fallacy? The notion that a collective whole can be assigned person-hood, to which is attributed guilt or responsibility, is just an abstract idea, which has no basis in reality. It is a mere castle in the sky, which only has "utility" in certain specific and often nefarious ideological agendas, which in every case have proven to be disastrous in their actual implementation.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Angiras

superb post, couldn't have put it better myself

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Ok, I made it to page 6, at which point I got tired of reading this:

Originally posted by EMPIRE
Moreover, you and others have called me racist, yet I've asked all of you to post the definition of racism or racist (which I've already done by the way) and show how I'm a racist.

....over and again.

Here is a definition of racism:

rac⋅ism
  [rey-siz-uhm]
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
source

Read carefully the bolded part. Good.

Now, we refer to Empire's first post in this thread:

The white race, as a whole, has never really accepted or taken responsibility for the way they've treated other people. Moreover, they have not acknowledged white privilege and the fact that oppression has been more beneficial to them than anyone else on the planet.

Once again, read carefully the bolded part.Good.

It would seem to me that, as per the supplied definition of racism, Empire's statement is the very definition of racism. The very idea of "white privilege", and belief that "oppression has been more beneficial to them (whites) than anyone else on the planet" is, in fact, an affirmation that the concept of "inherent differences among the various human races determining cultural or individual achievement" is true and correct, as it proposes that white people, by the sole virtue of being white,have certain privileges and benefits over non-white people. While arguments could be made as to the validity of "white privilege", that wouldn't make it any less of a racist concept, as per the definiton of racism.

I know Empire will come back with something about "selective reading" or some such drivel, but the fact is that his/her own words, from his/her very first post in this thread, reveal the racist foundation of any further arguments that he/she may have put forth.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by piddles
woah the fact that you don't know ANY metal about knight-lore means you have no idea bout how much metal is out there. The most popular band in the genre is Dragonforce

I never said that i knew every obscure genre of metal that exists. Please point out where i did. I, personally, have never heard metal based on knight-lore. I'm not into D & D or anything of the sort, nor am i interested in that type of thing, so it makes sense that i was never turned on to it. I like industrial metal the most, personally. Older Ministry for example, or NIN, etc.

you made your stances from a viewpoint of someone who doesn't like hip hop, how the hell am I supposed to know or care about some show you did years ago.

No, you assumed i "made my stance" from that viewpoint, but it's not true so your assumption was a mistake. And I don't care whether you care about the show i did years ago.

Also, good god, DMX is TERRIBLE. How can you listen to that moron yelling (not rapping) not even in time with his crappy beats? I could make his BS beats on Fruityloops.

I didn't ask your opinion of DMX, but thanks for sharing. I like to listen to aggressive music music before strenuous physical activity, such as weightlifting. And i'm glad you can make beats on fruity loops, i bet you can fog up a mirror when you breathe on it too. YAY for you. My 8 year old can make beats on that program. That said, since when have rap beats been complicated? Just because a beat is minimal, doesn't mean it's not a good beat. Do the artists you like rhyme to goa trance, or hardcore drum n' bass or something? Either the lyrics have to be minimal, or the beat does, otherwise it's a mess to listen to.

Oh and hip hop isn't about murder if it's about you're rapping about your life. Shock value murdah rappers like eminem can go home with that BS

Once again, it comes down to personal preference. Shock value music has a different effect on the listener, and again, is better for getting amped up to do a workout or go out target shooting, etc. If i want to chill and relax, then my mind is more ready for the less aggressive stuff, and it's a better time to absorb meaningful lyrics. You must be very young, given your "the only kind of music that is good is MY music" attitude. When you grow up a bit, you'll accept alot more diversity.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join