It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Age "One" Belief = Spiritual Borg?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Oh thank you! That's a better term for it.

Anchoring problem.

I am me. You are you.

I do not understand how people can not grasp this.

Is that an answer? You solved it? This is over? I can go home and eat Cheesy Poofs on cumulous clouds?

I have no freakin' idea who you are. I am coming to understand my self. Maybe when I do I won't see us and this whole thing will seem as puzzling as the conundrums we are currently discussing. Perhaps it's just suppression of certain tesselations. Why are you not me and I not you? I see no true rule preventing such an episode when consciousness is in the mix. I do see a rule preventing awareness of it whether it is happening all the time, in parallel or just as one but I also am aware of the apparent paradox of those assertions.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I bet you used to play Wow. Allright you know where this is going

Perhaps there is no solution? No definition? Maybe there is truly nobody home? Nobody is playing a nobody game?

Maybe buddhism got it right? There's nobody here?

Wow, maybe I am enlightened?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

I thought I was making it clear it was not anything like an autopilot incident. I've had tons of those as well. It was non-existence. It was completely novel in the context of this lifetime. An autopilot incident was improbable anyway since I was not driving very long and was paying attention to what I was doing.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by redwoodjedi

Yet you felt my comments enough that you took the time to post. Rather self-rightously I might add. You are welcome to your beliefs and I would personally defend your right to have them. But don't make the zealot's mistake and think that just because someone doesn't share your views means that they are ignorant of them or stupid or just not getting it or etc or etc. If you wish to forsake your individuality that is your path and you're welcome to it. But no truth as defined by man is a universal truth.
Good day.

And incidently, just because we are interconnected does not mean we are one I hate to tell you. I refer you to Sky's comments about puzzles pieces.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

OK. Kewl...I guess we have nothing more to talk about really. We can agree to disagree. I really don't care what yours or anybody's viewpoint is. Again, mine is that fulfilling. No self or Self righteousness involved. Call it a healthy apathy. Your OP opened a point and I provided a counterpoint. That's it. Nothing special. No big woop.

By the way...I have no beliefs. Those are concepts. I enjoy the floundering solace of not knowing anything. Back into the void from whence I came. Full and Empty at the same time.

Great! Sky knows some puzzle stuff. Machts Nichts. It really doesn't. Pointless all of it really.

I will bug your thread no more as I would just be repeating myself. It's really that simple.

Cheers!

Erik

P.S. I didn't feel your comments. I felt your need to label me and put me in a box of your own devising. Dronehood I think you called it...A lot of anger or disrespect in that name of which I have shown none toward you nor have asked you to think like me in any way. Hmmmm....

[edit on 22/OctpmSun, 18 Oct 2009 21:47:51 -0500/08 by redwoodjedi]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

The sense of being self-aware really is essentially just an open-feedback though, that is constantly self-referencing. Consciousness itself, or just plain awareness, are different. When you take something that is conscious/aware, and plug it back into itself, though, that is where self-awareness comes from. Where consciousness itself comes from is something else entirely.

Right. This is something difficult to describe. I am aware. I see myself. How do I explain that to you, if you are aware of yourself?

"I think, therefore I am" doesn't really explain anything. In the near future, a computer say the same thing. With modern technology and research in the AI department, we aren't that far off.

The illusion of my "self" as a discrete part in the universe, is just an illusion, reinforced by me constantly self-referencing. That I am plugged into myself like an open-feedback loop is where "I" keep getting this "I" from; "I" feel this and "I" feel that, when really "I" am just awareness plugged into a biological system with its own awareness.

Right.

Like I said, the fallacy made by those AI researchers, neuroscientists, etc. is that the consciousness is an illusion.

I am conscious. I am aware. How is that an illusion? If me being aware is an illusion, then I wouldn't be aware.

How else can I explain this?

Arrgh I'll reply to the rest of your post

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I bet you used to play Wow. Allright you know where this is going

Nope. Never touched the stuff.

Perhaps there is no solution? No definition? Maybe there is truly nobody home? Nobody is playing a nobody game?

Maybe buddhism got it right? There's nobody here?

Wow, maybe I am enlightened?

Stop it! You're killing ME!

If they are correct then we're back at a contradiction to "then what permitted the question in the first place?"

Perhaps out of all the possibilities, we're the ones that got randomly stuck with the rancid question? Noone's home but some nobody had to ask.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I thought I was making it clear it was not anything like an autopilot incident. I've had tons of those as well. It was non-existence.

Sorry if I wasn't understanding your post clearly.

Can you explain a little better? I think I have read something like this. It's like a Buddhist void. Like there's nothing there?

You might have had an existentialist experience.

It's just like there was nothing. No meaning. Just.... nothing.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

A human being is part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.

The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive.

(Albert Einstein, 1954)
LINK

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This reminds me of this little joke:

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I am conscious. I am aware. How is that an illusion? If me being aware is an illusion, then I wouldn't be aware.

Don't worry, brother, I know exactly what you mean.

There is no way you can explain consciousness logically. It transcends logic. If you could nail it down so easily, this universe wouldn't be nearly so much fun!

But I am, and you are, and everything is. So that much we can settle, lol.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seataka

Again, this goes back to my question.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Can you explain a little better? I think I have read something like this. It's like a Buddhist void. Like there's nothing there?

I couldn't have had an existentialist experience since there was no experience.

I guess I could say it was so void that calling is a void is calling it something, which it is NOT. Anything you call it, it isn't. It possesses no thing in relation to a concept. It's not even an "it". Thus, there is no description, not even a potential one.

Its nature, or rather, lack of nature is such that by the time you start to communicate, you're lying-- every word is a lie.

But thankfully, the meat puppet knows how to drive all on its own or else it would be paying higher insurance premiums.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

Don't worry, brother, I know exactly what you mean.

There is no way you can explain consciousness logically. It transcends logic. If you could nail it down so easily, this universe wouldn't be nearly so much fun!

But I am, and you are, and everything is. So that much we can settle, lol.

Hey you might be right. This is all fun and game.

The universe would be a very boring place if we could solve the mystery.

This is all a mystery that we will never ever solve for all eternity.

If for one moment the mystery is solved, everything would collapse into nothingness. What fun is that?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

But thankfully, the meat puppet knows how to drive all on its own or else it would be paying higher insurance premiums.

You're killing me too.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

If for one moment the mystery is solved, everything would collapse into nothingness. What fun is that?

Believe it or not, I've considered this potential "hazard" as well and find it motivating. First one there is a...well, it won't matter.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Believe it or not, I've considered this potential "hazard" as well and find it motivating. First one there is a...well, it won't matter.

Then it would start a whole new universe. And so on and on. Who to say that it hasn't happened before?

Perhaps the big bang was a result of solving the big mystery?

Douglas Adams comes to mind

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

I couldn't have had an existentialist experience since there was no experience.

I guess I could say it was so void that calling is a void is calling it something, which it is NOT. Anything you call it, it isn't. It possesses no thing in relation to a concept. It's not even an "it". Thus, there is no description, not even a potential one.

Its nature, or rather, lack of nature is such that by the time you start to communicate, you're lying-- every word is a lie.

Well I am trying to understand what you mean. Is it like that you weren't there? You just disappeared? Poof?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Well I am trying to understand what you mean. Is it like that you weren't there? You just disappeared? Poof?

Ok, if I must fib a little then I'll say, sure, it was like just ceasing to be over a certain time span.

Try to attend to all the places in between where you think you are, thoughtwise, physically, etc. beyond the gaps your mind fills in to fool you into believing you are also between the points in a constellation. Perhaps that will summon the big nothing. If you think you're there, you aren't.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I think I know what you are talking about.

Sometimes I am not even there.

Sometimes it feels like I am just going through motions. Like watching a movie.

Something ain't right about the reality. I see it and yet it isn't there.

Crap, this sounds like the matrix movies.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Crap, this sounds like the matrix movies.

Those really were brilliant movies. Stunning metaphors of reality.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join