It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coke Zero Launches Facial Profiler Ad Campaign (Creepy)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The Coca-Cola advertising gurus who developed the humorous and creative Coke Zero conspiracy duo are attempting to bring an interactive version of that successful campaign to Facebook. The Coke Zero facial profile app seeks to answer the question, "If Coke Zero has Coke's taste, is it possible someone out there has your face?"

The app scans your Facebook photos and attempts to match similar faces throughout the social network. Although you can currently join, invite friends, and have the app scan your photos, it isn't yet showing anyone's digital twins. Once the database reaches a critical mass (It's currently 22-percent full (as of this writing), and is telling people to check back later.), the app will begin matching users. Hopefully, the app, which intends to "connect people by how they look like each other," won't create a rift in the space-time continuum.

So, out of concern for the preservation of humanity, be incredibly careful if you use the app. If you happen to be clean shaven and the app finds your goateed doppelganger, he's definitely your evil twin and needs to be avoided at all costs -- unless you want to destroy the universe and life as we know it.

www.switched.com...

Is it just me or does anyone find it creepy that one of the globes largest companys is soliciting your face for an ad campaign?

The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world's largest beverage company, largest manufacturer, distributor and marketer of non-alcoholic beverage concentrates and syrups in the world and is one of the largest corporations in the United States. The company is best known for its flagship product Coca-Cola, invented by pharmacist John Stith Pemberton in 1886. The Coca-Cola formula and brand was bought in 1889 by Asa Candler who incorporated The Coca-Cola Company in 1892. Besides its namesake Coca-Cola beverage, Coca-Cola currently offers nearly 400 brands in over 200 countries or territories and serves 1.5 billion servings each day.[4]
The company operates a franchised distribution system dating from 1889 where The Coca-Cola Company only produces syrup concentrate which is then sold to various bottlers throughout the world who hold an exclusive territory.
The Coca-Cola Company is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. Its stock is listed on the NYSE and is part of DJIA and S&P 500. Its current chairman and CEO is Muhtar Kent.
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 10/16/2009 by Remixtup]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Yes it is creepy.

If it were the F.B.I. or some other Alphabet-Soup Government Agency then every Civil Rights Activist from the ACLU to the EFF would be all over this like flies on dung. People would be up in arms in protest, and the dissent would be so loud that even the MSM would cover it.

Yet for some reason it is permissible and acceptable when a Corporation that does not answer to the people, nor has oversight by the people, is able to do such unchecked and unquestioned?

I think I'd actually prefer it the other way around, and even then it still doesn't make it right!

Considering that AT&T so willingly turned on it's customers to allow the Government to use their records and resources for Domestic Spying, and how every Bank was so willing to turn on it's customers to allow the Government to use their records to monitor transactions live for the sake of Homeland Security, can we trust that Coca-Cola, Inc. won't do the same when an Alphabet Soup Agency comes knocking asking for their Face Database?

It is foolish to believe that they wouldn't...and that doesn't even consider what nefarious purposes they themselves may use that Facial Database for. (Targeted Advertising anyone?)

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Unfortunately the basic premise for the campaign is wrong - Coke Zero tastes nothing like reg Coca-Cola.

I think this campaign is just an attempt to be hip, using the tools that most young people across the world are addicted to - Facebook.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Lovely.... now any one can find your name using facebook and any picture or security footage.

This will go badly.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolaas

Yes, but, you can upload any file/pic to facebook. I use it regularly and would NEVER use a pic of myself. Hell, I dont even use my real name.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Remixtup

If you don't use real pictures, or your real name whats the point in even using facebook?

I think that the idea is pretty awesome facebook is just meant as a way for people to connect and meet new people so if you look like someone else its cool stuff to see...

Not everything is a conspiracy or creepy for that matter sometimes it can just be something fun

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Well, the difference is that this is surely a voluntary participation. If the FBI did it, it would be a violation of rights, but if I choose to do it to myself in order to save a buck, then I deserve whatever consequences may come!

It is creepy, and I wonder what is keeping people from using this technology and public domain photos from using it in identity thefts?

Seems pretty easy to identify look alikes and commit crimes under an assumed identity. It could even be taken to the n'th degree by actually murdering and replacing somebody!!

So, I don't think Coke is doing anything wrong, but I certainly see the potential for abuse!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Awolscout

Anonymous social experimentation.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Remixtup

Ah that's good stuff lol

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
well this seems like a fun idea. I don't understand why this is such a bad thing, it sounds like fun. And it's voluntary, which legally, it doesn't have to be, since facebook already owns ANY picture you upload to the site and can use them how they see fit. NOW THAT'S SCARY!
Facebook is an awesome tool to find your classmates and other lost connections, but it should be used with a little bit of caution. Any photo you send them is their property.

new topics

top topics

join