It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blatent racist advert...??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Let me start by saying I am not a fighter for political correctness, I think we are WAY over the top and people cry racist at everything.

That doll of a black baby that was called little monkey was not racist, why? Because there was a little white doll called the same... not everything HAS to be racist, however this advert I simply can't ignore.

This advert is on the back page of the 'total tv guide' in Britain for the dates 10-16 October. (Is it okay to post a scanned image of the page? If so I am happy to do so.)

The advert is for lifelike dolls, and they look scary as hell.

Theres frankie : blue dungarees a red cap, average little white child.
Jake: Blue jacket and cap, just another average white child.
Sunny: A little yellow dress and an average white girl.
Poppy in red and snowdrop in white and blue, two more average little white girls.

Is this racist...no, the lack of any other race is not in any way racist. What IS racist in my opinion is the next doll, lets see the name...

Umi baby orangutang...
The one non-white lifelike baby doll is a monkey in a pink top and nappy.

This is of course so much easier to observe when seen in context, so I'm hoping it's not breaking any sort of law and I am able to upload a scanned image??

Why is this here? We are so busy shouting racist that things that appear to be obviously racist and arn't, that this subversive racism is continuing in failry mainstream media.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by StevenDye]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I would have to see the doll to voice an opinion.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
yea, lets see the picture...i don't see where it would be a violation to post the pic in order to show us what you are talking about

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I dont even need to see the picture. I am so tired of hearing about "blatant racism" this, and racist that. Fact is, the time for bellyaching about this BS is over. GET THE **** OVER IT! Blacks are treated just as good, if not better than other nationalities in the US and abroad than whites. Id love to open one of these racism threads someday and see someone angry over the racism against whites or other nationalities that are far more common these days than that of blacks. Pure BS, and I hope this thread and threads like it go nowhere.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

I am white and I live in the middle of the country. I don't know where you come from but it isn't as clear cut as you might like to think... my entire town is getting together to stop 1 family of travellers being aloud to have a permanent location for their single caravan on the edge of the town.

Rural England is highly racist towards different people. I hate political correctness, but this just jumped out to me as wrong.

Any idea how to link a picture from your uploads? I feel such a noob
But I watched the video, used the link provided and it does nothing... as you can see.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bea06dd2

EDIT I added question marks to the title though, as it IS only my opinion.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I don't think it was meant as a racial thing. There are more than one of these types of collectible dolls. I'm not a doll person but they're cute.

Here's a link
www.collectiblestoday.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

No of course, alone the doll is a cute little thing. It's about the only one that IS cute

It's when placed in context after the line-up of well dressed little white dolls I see a problem with it.

Same as the gollywog dolls, I think those are the sweetest little things ever made. And I'm a 17 year old lad. It's when placed into their context the issue arises.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Ummm...It's an orangutan. It's not even HUMAN. It even has the tagline of 'proceeds benefit rainforests' or somesuch. Last time I looked- an ape is NOT a black person. Nor is it a nonwhite person- it's an ape. Like Dr. Zaius.

I'll bet you $1 it's not racist, it's simply demographics of who buys what.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
Ummm...It's an orangutan. It's not even HUMAN. It even has the tagline of 'proceeds benefit rainforests' or somesuch. Last time I looked- an ape is NOT a black person. Nor is it a nonwhite person- it's an ape. Like Dr. Zaius.

I'll bet you $1 it's not racist, it's simply demographics of who buys what.

It is not however a tag line in the magazine.

And no, I never claimed it to be a human. If the magazine had called a black baby child Umi baby orangutang it would have been national news by now.
I simply find some problems with something advertising a bunch of dolls that "look so real" whilst consisting of a bunch of white children, then effectively a monkey.

Maybe I'm just tetchy because I watched people being racist towards a friend when growing up...and that was a highly used insult.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I looked at the Advert and i don't find it Racist.

2ndline

Tsom87

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I didn't think it was racist at first glance.
The monkey itself probably isn't racist.

I looked through the list of dolls and I saw a few black babies and a few of another race.
So I kind of doubt it's racist.

Usually its racist when there is a line up 300 dolls and there are all white or similar like a T.V show with not a single colored person in, or the opposite.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by buds84

But this isn't the line up from the website I am talking about, it is the lineup from the magazine. Which is different...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

K well I have to agree it is blatant obvious racism presented like that.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Racism is in the mind of the individual who sees it everywhere.

If you are white, why exactly does this offend you?

If you are black, why does it offend you?
Do you identify with the orangutang?
If so, maybe you should change your opinion of yourself.

I too am sick of hearing about such things.
People will always have their own opinions to which they have a right.
It is natural to be suspicious of strangers, and they stranger they are the more suspicious we are. This trait runs across all species on the Planet.
So get over it!!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

It offends me perhaps as I said, because I have grown up witnessing racism in all forms. And whilst I am not a politically correct person, the use of the term monkey was something heavily used to try and humiliate a black friend.

So perhaps I am just being oversensitive to it.

If I could figure out how to link a picture you could see it in the context I did. I am not saying you would then find it racist, but you may be able to see better why someone sesitive to it would.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
calling a black baby an "orangutan"? well that really is extremly racist OO

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye
it is the lineup from the magazine. Which is different...

You are going to have to scan and post that particular advert before anyone can truly offer their opinion. Simply describing it is futile.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
After some research, yes this is the most racist doll I have ever seen.... Umi, is an orangutang*SP* and they are not indigenous to Africa; however, Umi the name, is an African name.... you do the math.....

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit

You are going to have to scan and post that particular advert before anyone can truly offer their opinion. Simply describing it is futile.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bea06dd2b2df.jpg[/atsimg]

And a larger version can be found here : img62.imageshack.us...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
sorry, after seeing the advert, it is not racist. i don't see how it can be perceived that way. yes, white baby white baby white baby monkey. if you are equating monkey with black person that is your problem...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join