It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas man faces execution after jurors consult Bible to decide fate

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by budski

The best suggestion I have heard to accomplish this was offered by ReelView above. That is, investigate the actions of the jury as a crime in themselves.

My main concern is that when a mistrial is declared, the guilty verdict is thrown out as well as the sentencing. Not only does that give a murderer a second chance to skirt the law through technicalities, it also validates in both his mind and the minds of everyone else that you can do what you want, and if caught you can get off through someone else's stupidity.

That is simply not conducive to a law-abiding society.

Right is right. The man killed another human being, in cold blood, while attempting to rob him. He cannot be allowed into society again. The actions of the jurors should not be used to throw out the conviction. On the other hand, the guilty parties are indeed the jurors in this case, and therefore it is the jurors who should be held to the law, rather than not holding a murderer to the law because of their actions.

You know I agree with you on making sure this does not set a precedent for religious discussions in legal cases. But I also don't want to go the other way and set a precedent for someone to throw a jury by deliberately skewing the vetting process. I am coming to believe more and more as I think about it that this is what happened.

TheRedneck

Would it not be fair to say that in some ways the vetting process is and should be skewed.

I mean come on - would you want someone quoting one of the most violent "holy" books around if you were accused and convicted of a crime?

I know it's a slippery slope, but IMO this is religious extremism, and there is no place for it in the judicial process or in the world in general - it just causes more problems than it solves...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This is NWO, and has to be halted immediately. There is no leeway here. It was warned by Commander X that they would bring in a fundamentalist religion government and court system akin to Sharia law in the middle east, and send people back to the dark ages, while these annanuki (****** man I want to swear here) insane psyhotic criminal low life, pathetic baboons get to fly around the universe in their advanced space crafts, we get hangings, and hands cut off maybe even.

WELL STAND UP AND SURROUND THAT COURTHOUSE AND SCREAM!!!!!!NO!!!! Whenever you let it slide, YOU LOSE. Have you figured it out. Risk your jobs and reputations, and say NO. Do the one strike, two strike, you're out by whatever means necessary strike system.

Its time to show some REAL BACKBONE and stand up to NWO once and for all before its too late. You know the world is counting on us right??? The ones who are aware and awake have got to get it together and get people in their towns aware and awake, and actually form groups, to do it. Everywhere. Don't wait. One or two just will be victimized.

I've searched online in my area, locally, and in my province even. The only real groups are small, not conspiracy oriented enough, too dependendent on the lying media, and there are some new age ones. We need real groups now. This court case should strike fear in the hearts of every free man and woman This is so close to the end of FREEDOM.
Its time to act.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Unity_99]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It is so Old Testament. You have to wonder who still takes anything but symbolic guidance from the Old Testament. Obviously Texas jurors!

Regards

edit: add a quip

[edit on 17/10/2009 by paraphi]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The guy obviously got the sentence he deserved, however I still believe that a new trial is in order based on the bibles in the jury room. Also whoever placed the bibles there should permanently lose their job.

The religious among you preaching that God's law is divine should try to remember that the next time you decide to eat a rare steak, wear clothes of blended materials, trim your beard, mingle with women while on their period; just a few other examples of things that are illegal under God's divine law.

And for those who want to say that it is the Old Testament, and Jesus' teaching did away with the old laws I would like to point you to Matthew 5:17-19
"17Do not think that I have come to destroy the law, or the prophets. I have come not to destroy but to fulfill. 18For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Majiq]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I've long held the belief that the "separation" of church and state is something of a myth in practise, despite that it sounds good in theory.

I agree here ...separation of church and state and a myth in which most of the people in any given country haven't a clue..

The problem with politics and a politically financed public education is that politics itself is a religion. A religion in which the rules or non rules are often undefined to the public. This would make politics and a politically financed public education to be "Occult" in nature. Occult having origins in religion..a pagan religion. Understand now budski??

Also here stateside....many churches have tax numbers under a 501c corporate tax exempt status. The members of a church can take their tithing off on their taxes. This is a tax subsidy...a price support on the part of the government. This is not separation of church and state.
Not only that..but the clergy do not teach this to their flocks. The Churches here are also willingly in bed with the government. No separation here as well.

For real separation there should be no price support by tax write offs for church by government. They should be separate. I know of only a handful of churches which do not give chits to their members for taxes nor do they have tax numbers under 501c corporate status.

I've also long held the belief that islam is far from the only religion that claims an "eye for an eye" or that the punishment should fit the crime.

Remember what I said earlier above. Politics/government is a religion and occult/hidden/concealed in nature.

Are you occult..hidden and concealed budski?? Are you advocating that the punishment should not fit the crime by statements like this one??

Many seem to be implying that the Bible here is akin to the Jerry Springer show. ( a popular emotional/drama show here stateside and now replaced with more drama/emotional shows)
Yet I detect that those not interested in the Bible being used...conducting themselves in drama just like the Jerry Springer show and whatever came after to replace this program. And all this under the guise of logic and reason.
By the way..budski...you do know ...do you not..that many of the occult pagan nations with their religions were big on logic and reason...yes??

The problems in the world today are not caused by religious writings, they are caused by people who interpret writings to suit their own ends.

Yes I tend to agree with this statement quoted of yours above. This is precisely how our law makers and courts here stateside tend to interpret for their own ends. What religion are they practicing budski???

This is also why it has become so important as to who is approved for our Supreme Court and Appellate court positions for life. So that they can interpret law according to their own ends or the ends of an occult religion called politics...and call this logic and reason. What religion did you say this was budski???

Here by IntastellaBurst,

They might as well be consulting a coloring book, gutless, ignorant, cowards.

... in a post apocalyptic world, I hope people like this are still around, ..... to replace beef.

I call this human intelligence...logic and reason budski. What do you call it. I also call it the Jerry Springer show mentality. It most certainly is not "Enlightened."

by iamsupermanv2,

More intelligence, logic, and reason. Or is it drama queens come to fruition while attempting to pass as logic and reason??

if all this religion stuff is real, most these people that pull this crap are going straight to hell the way i see it. so many misinterpreting, so many people using "holy" words for their own purposes. makes me sick.

The idea is a jury ...a jury of ones peers. What many are saying here is that unless there is a jury of drama queens of the same logic and reason there is not a jury of ones peers. Are they not?? That somehow people who believe in the Bible should not voice their opinion..jury or not.
Notice the nonsensical...statement or tack being done here..." most these people that pull this crap are going straight to hell the way i see it."
Interesting method of using religion to argue against religion. Once you see it done ..it does not make good nonsense does it Budski??
This is intelligence, logic and reason?? A private interpretation?? A private nonsense??

Is this for ones own purposes budski?? Think do not emote here.
I call this technique ...drama queens budski. It is a product of public education today. By public education budski...I mean a television/movie education.

I agree with thisguyrighthere in what they post

Besides, you might be able to keep the text itself out of a jurors hands but good luck trying to keep it out of a jurors mind.

Now here is someone using logic and reason. What is the problem with so many others here budski??

OldDragger

Jurors are supposed to consider only the evidence and the law.
While jurors are entitled to whatever beliefs they choose in their PERSONAL LIVES, they are NOT entitled to bring those beliefs ( WHATEVER they may be) into the jury room.
This verdict should be set aside and a mistrial declared!
And WHY are there Bibles with HIGHLIGHTED passages in the jury room anyway? Good Lord!

LOL LOL LOL. another one. Notice the use of Good Lord on the end. About 30 miles north west of me is the law library at Colonial Williamsburg. John Marshall law library. When one reads olde cases of law...the Bible is much quoted in law cases. A concept very much avoided today in lieu of emotional chaos/drama so carefully cultivated in order to spread the confusion we see about us today.

Jurors have the ability when sitting in a jury to use whatever knowledge they have including the evidence of the law. It is known that many lawyers are great actors and drama queens in their presentations. Jurors should know this as well. They also have the ability to ask for the written instructions at law for the jury as well as the judge. To see and know at law if the judge is giving them false information's in order to steer the case to a preconceived result without the jury being aware of it.

Otherwise why would one need a jury??

by jd140

So they looked to the Bible for moral guidance.

If I have to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God, then I see no problems with jurors seeking guidance from him.

I'm sure if the guy had been found not guilty then the defense wouldn't be complaining that they read a few passages out of the Bible.

Precisely ..well said. This article quoted is pushing an agenda. A humanistic agenda. Most people do not realize that humanism is a religion.
That religion pushes the concept that humans and human reason are the ultimate reality in the universe. I don't think so by the train wreck of so much going on around us today.

budski,

That's the whole point - a persons belief system should have no bearing on a trial and the persons guilt or innocence.

This looks good initially and by logic and reason. What most peoples do not know is that judges and lawyers both will take advantage of a persons ignorance about many things...including the law. When there is a system which will do this...it is called occult...and we are back to religion again budski. If people are not able to express their beliefs or only beliefs you or others think are correct....then you only have a rubber stamp jury and the political body is now the law. Got it yet..budski?? And the political body pays for and finances public education to turn out such nonsensical logic and reason trying to pass for the moral ethical high ground.
If so ..then why have juries at all??

An individuals belief system is precisely the reason for a jury ...not hack political appointees. You should know this budski.

I could go on and on quoting many of the posters on here..but this will suffice.

Amazing what some would have us to become here in the states.
Someone out here wants us to become just like Englishmen today. Mostly atheist and non believers raised on a steady diet of television/movies and public education..stamped out copies of whatever changing winds are popular today. That very thing is what caused many of the "great civilizations" to fall from within.

Thanks,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join