It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wires Inserted Into Human Brain Reveal Speech Surprise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

October 15, 2009
Rare set of high-resolution readouts taken directly from the wired-in brains of epileptics has provided an unprecedented look at how the brain processes language.

Though only a glimpse, it was enough to show that part of the brain’s language center handles multiple tasks, rather than one.

“If the same part of the brain does different things at different times, that’s a thunderously complex level of organization,” said Ned Sahin, a cognitive scientist at the University of California, San Diego.

In a study published Thursday in Science, Sahin’s team studied a region known as Broca’s center, named for French anatomist Paul Pierre Broca who observed that two people with damage to a certain spot in the front of their brains had lost the ability to speak, but could still think.

Link

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I hope we never understand the brain. Imagine the things that would come, mind control being the first.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
S&F.

I hope we do understand brain. Imagine the consequences!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

That is a scary concept, some think there is the ability to control our minds now, not into conspiracies but who knows, on the other hand it makes me think of the 'Manchurian Candidate'

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Mind control has been done for centuries through various forms of propaganda, from clay tablets to papyrus to parchment to paper to TV and Internet. We won't do any worse.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Cool, its important we learn more about the brain, not only to fix malfunctions and cure diseases, but also from the technological point of view this research is necessary. I already see myself in 20 years typing a text like now with pure thought only, messaging with friends similar to the concept of telepathy and composing a track by thinking the instruments and notes. And list goes on and on, the technology is already in the making and DARPA surely already have functioning products.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Mind control has been done for centuries through various forms of propaganda, from clay tablets to papyrus to parchment to paper to TV and Internet. We won't do any worse.

Yes we will. Once they understand how the brain works, they can send signals straight into it, such as images, sounds and ideas. Want to make someone go mad? Do that for a couple of days straight.

I think you are underestimating how someone would be unable to function with signals coming straight into the brain.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Yes we will. Once they understand how the brain works, they can send signals straight into it, such as images, sounds and ideas. Want to make someone go mad? Do that for a couple of days straight.

Well that's already possible today, at least projecting sounds and images into the brain, you don't even have to understand the brain fully to do such a thing. Another 5-10 years and ideas/thoughts will be easily transmitted to your targeted brain. Yay

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

You have a valid point, to fix malfunctions and cure diseases, what bothers me are the other implications.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by Clairaudience

You have a valid point, to fix malfunctions and cure diseases, what bothers me are the other implications.

Its the same thing as always. They sell an idea with good intentions and then use it for bad intentions. Like the rfid chip commercials. They tell us its for our safety, and when we get dependent on that chip for being able to work, pay our bills, buy food - they can turn it off if we misbehave. But people dont think that would ever happen to them. They dont think about how fast the world is changing into a big brother society. Just 10-20 years ago, the societies were relatively sane. Now the trip into 1984 has started and it wont stop until every citizen is monitored in real time.

People think thats great because then they are secure, right? No. They are slaves to their government. They have the power to shut down a citizen completely, making him totally dependent on the system to survive.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Aside from what you are saying, there have been so many advances that are being keep from us in the name of National Security and the Military Industrial Complex, makes me wonder if we are really in that much danger, from other Countries or is it from other Worlds. If it were from other Worlds I am afraid we don't have a chance.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

I hope we never understand the brain. Imagine the things that would come, mind control being the first.

I really believe once we really understand the brain, we will discover extraordinary capabilities already exist in all of us. The breakthrough will actually be the discovery of how to re enable these super human traits.
Think about it, why do we only utilize 10% of our brain?
...probably because the rest is sitting there just waiting for the time it will be used again.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexandro

I really believe once we really understand the brain, we will discover extraordinary capabilities already exist in all of us. The breakthrough will actually be the discovery of how to re enable these super human traits.
Think about it, why do we only utilize 10% of our brain?
...probably because the rest is sitting there just waiting for the time it will be used again.

You bet Alxandro, it's what scientist are calling junk DNA, since they have no idea what it is they dismiss it, I don't think we have anything that isn't meant to be there, as you said we don't know what it is yet. Still trying to figure out what our appendicitis is good for.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Well maybe there needs to be a Big Brother system in place as soon as in the next 20 years. Technology is progressing so fast, and with great knowledge comes great risk! Just imagine what one could do if claytronics finds its way into the public, one could built weapons out of million nano-robots, without the necessary precautions this could end very bloody. We already hold great power with the computer and the internet, we could do much harm, and without at least someone observing the activity this could end bloody too.

This doesn't mean I tolerate the agenda of Big Brother/TPTB
OMM: Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.
OMM: Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.

No thank you

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Related Article:
Humans and Chimpanzees Share Roots of Language
By Brandon Keim February 28, 2008

Brains and Behavior

Chimpanzees and humans use the same parts of the brain when communicating, suggesting a common ancestral root to our linguistic prowess and raising the possibility that chimps are capable of highly complex communication.

In a study published today in Current Biology, researchers at the Yerkes National Primate Research Center measured the neural activity of three chimpanzees as they asked for food.

An area of the chimpanzees’ brains similar to our own Broca’s area lit up when the chimpanzees gestured and called out. Scientists already knew that chimpanzees and humans share the Broca’s area — a locus of speech production and processing — as well as the related Wernicke’s area, but it wasn’t clear whether chimps actually used them.

www.wired.com...

Video:
www.youtube.com...

Interesting that we are always compared with Ape's, I have a problem in that if we evolved from Ape's why are they still here, just asking.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
That is a scary concept, some think there is the ability to control our minds now, not into conspiracies but who knows, on the other hand it makes me think of the 'Manchurian Candidate'

Theres some pretty disturbing reading about some (very real) CIA experiments here

The horrific experiments conducted by the army and CIA at Edgewood Arsenal and Mcgill University,unchecked by any responsible authority,only got worse.
By 1959 ,'___' was a sideshow,compared with another chemical: Quinunclidinyl Benzilate, or B.Z.
Incredibly,this drug possessed effects far more profound than '___' and which lasted for three days,although effects lasting as long as six days occurred at times.
Between 1959 and 1975,an estimated 2,800 U.S. Soldiers were given B.Z. at Edgewood Arsenal.
About this time, Jose Delgado invented a device he called the Stimoceiver.
This was a miniature depth electrode able to receive and transmit electronic signals over FM radio waves.
By stimulating a correctly postitioned stimoceiver,an outside operator could weild a surpising degree of control over the subject responses.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up on your thread, that is right up my alley, have followed the Montauk Project for many years....my ex husband was stationed there duing the sixties but that is another story for another time..

new topics

top topics

join