It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Report (U.S.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Florida's unemployment rate edged up in September, rising two-tenths of a point to 11 percent, the state labor department announced Friday.

That's the highest since October 1975, and represents just over one million Floridians out of work

www.miamiherald.com...

The Texas unemployment rate jumped to 8.2 percent in September, and the state lost another 44,700 jobs.

The Texas Workforce Commission said Friday the jobless rate increased from August, when the state hit 8 percent unemployment for the first time in 22 years.

www.chron.com...

New York City’s unemployment rate rose to 10.3 percent in September as summer jobs programs ended and businesses that usually add staff in the fall held off on hiring, the state’s Department of Labor reported on Thursday

cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com...

Pennsylvania's unemployment rate was up to 8.8 percent in September, the state Department of Labor and Industry said Thursday. That's up from 8.6 percent in August, but below the rate of 9.8 percent nationwide and in New Jersey.

philadelphia.bizjournals.com...

The state Employment Security Commission said Friday the jobless rate in September was 10.8 percent, unchanged from August.

North Carolina's unemployment rate has been hovering around 11 percent since February and has been worse than the national average for more than a year.

www.blueridgenow.com...

Alabama's unemployment rate has jumped to 10.7 percent.

www.wkrg.com...

The unemployment rate in Rhode Island climbed to a new high of 13 percent in September as the state lost 2,800 more jobs

www.pbn.com...

The San Francisco controller's office said Tuesday that the city's unemployment rate rose to 10.1 percent in August, breaking a new barrier

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2009/10/13/BUAF1A57T6.DTL&type=business

The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for the Lake Havasu City-Kingman Metropolitan Statistical Area jumped nearly one percentage point to 10.6 percent in September from 9.7 percent in August

www.havasunews.com...

Washington state’s unemployment rate rose to 9.3 percent in September, up from August’s adjusted rate of 9 percent.

Nationally, the U.S. unemployment rate is 9.8 percent compared with 9.7 percent a month earlier

portland.bizjournals.com...

Michigan's unemployment rate inched slightly higher during September, rising one-tenth of a percentage point to 15.3%.

www.freep.com...

In the Buffalo Niagara Falls metropolitan area, unemployment increased to 8.4 percent, up from 8.3 percent in August.

www.tonawanda-news.com...

Arizona's unemployment rate has remained basically unchanged for the second straight month as the state's economy saw a sub-par jobs gain in September.

The state's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for September was 9.1 percent, the Commerce Department reported Thursday. That's identical to the August rate

www.forbes.com...

The Georgia Department of Labor (GDOL) reported Thursday that unemployment rate for the month of September remains unchanged from the previous month at 10.1 percent.

www.examiner.com...

The Delaware Deparrtment of Labor reported the seasonally adjusted jobless rate in the state for September rose to 8.3 percent from 8 percent a month earlier and 5.2 percent a year earlier

www.ledgerdelaware.com...

Nationally the unemployment rate rose to 9.8%

[edit on 16-10-2009 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I can add that here in New Mexico a state mostly untouched by the melt down and fairing far better than other states reported

New Mexico's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 7.5 percent in August 2009, up from 7.0 percent in July and 4.3 percent a year ago.
NM DOL

Still we see huge lines of people begging for a smattering of open jobs... we also have one of the highest numbers of people collecting food stamps, in the nation meaning those jobs are just that "J.O.B. = Just Over Broke"

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

yes there has been a feast of bad economic news this month. wall st. continues to ignore it and the banks continue to make huge profits while foreclosures are at an all-time rate, unemployment keeps going up, food prices are going up, the dollar continues its fall, gold is soaring at all-time highs, wages are going down, gas is going back up.. yet somehow because we lost 200,000+ jobs instead of 500,000+ they see this as a sign of progress and the end of our economic woes... talk about spin..

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Things do look gloomy and no I don't just watch MSM but have to say that it would seem like unemployment would be a late financial indicator simply because businesses have to make money first before they can start to hire people. From my limited understanding it is normal for improvement in unemployment numbers to lag behind the rest of economy. To my admittedly limited knowledge, in every down turn we've had unemployment was the very last thing to start to go back up.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Well you Do know that the stimulus monies created or saved an average of 600 something, jobs per state don't you. I mean heck since the job loss rate has been dropping, it was somewhere a bit over 500,00. last week so it must be working. Right?
What a GD joke this all is.

And heck the cost of living hasn't increased this year so the seniors won't be getting a cost of living increase on their Social Security.
I mean come on the sky is brightening now, the recovery has begun everything will be wonderful again.
And if you believe that, you have your head up your behind!

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Just to add to the doom and gloom...
A lot of social programs have been and are being cut....

I work with a National group "Parents of Murdered Children" We have this lift of organizations to refer clients to... the list covers everything from emergency housing to food... Two years ago the last was a big thick book laid out by state city and service offered... today that list is twenty pages and we all know to call first because they might just be gone...

With all these places shut down this flood of homeless out of work people is going to have a serious impact on the country... tent cities is only the beginnings my friends...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Just as the MSM is trying to put positive spin on the economy, Gov. Paterson of New York State came out with a budget proposal seeking 5 billion in cuts from the States budget. New York is starting to look like California, and NYC already has over 10% unemployment as per the official numbers.

The real percent of unemployed or under employed is closer to 20% nation wide as a huge amount of people are working part time jobs, and even more people are being dropped from the count since they have been unable to find work and their Unemployment payments have run out.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
ALL of those unemployment stats are BULL SHIAT.

The above statement is no disrespect to the OP at all -- it's the gov't stats that I'm calling BS on.

Go to this site: www.shadowstats.com and find out the REAL unemployment figures -- it's way worse than officially reported.

Don't believe the government!

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I can only state from what I've seen that at my place of work (Walgreens) people are always popping in and out asking if we are hiring, and supposed to tell them to just apply on-line. Most of the time I'll always say after applying confront the managers, because most of the time they seem like they don't look at it.

Other than that I've seen a few places that have signs on the window or something, I know a few weeks ago I saw Gamestop was at least hiring in which I was tempted to switch and let someone take my Walgreens job...Other than that places are looking rather..."fair" in Ohio (Toledo to be specific) at the moment.

top topics

join