It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we so harshly reject the idea of ET's existing, and visiting Earth?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnydavx

"Disclosure" has been "coming" every month for the past several years. I wouldn't get too excited about it. 2013 will not be much different than right now either. People will just say that the 12/21/2012 date was a miscalculation and install a new "doomsday" date and make more websites and movies and money.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1

"Disclosure" has been "coming" every month for the past several years. I wouldn't get too excited about it. 2013 will not be much different than right now either. People will just say that the 12/21/2012 date was a miscalculation and install a new "doomsday" date and make more websites and movies and money.

I think I've heard the skeptics shrug off 2012 with that excuse more times than I've heard people say 2012 = disaster ...I really wouldn't get to comfortable...there is more to 2012 than you may think...but yes...it could just be another normal year...however, I don't think that will be the case...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

In my opinion the aliens have been running the show since day 1, it's all 1 big test to them, ive read about 2012 and alot of the ufo phenonemon , i believe it can either go one way like a driving test, if everyone can accept the truth when it comes out we will pass, and then beyond... who knows what happens, if the world is still ignorant at the fact when it comes out and the masses 'freak out' then we fail and bye to this race of humans,next test to them?
Yep...that's pretty much how I see it...we are part of an Alien experiment, and they have a goal they are hoping we will achieve...I have a suspicion it all links in with ascension and 2012...

EDIT: Damn...another double post...anyways, I'm going hit the sack as well...I'll talk later everyone.

[edit on 16/10/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S

Originally posted by tallcool1

I think I've heard the skeptics shrug off 2012 with that excuse more times than I've heard people say 2012 = disaster ...I really wouldn't get to comfortable...there is more to 2012 than you may think...but yes...it could just be another normal year...however, I don't think that will be the case...

Sometimes I believe, and I hope this doesn't come across wrong - I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying...sometimes I think, whether it's 2012 or aliens visiting or ghosts or religion or whatever that maybe this is truly all there is. We are just insignificant little beings on an insignificant little speck of dust in an enormous universe and there really is no point in our existance and there is no one out there aware of us in any way. Perhaps this is such a depressing thought that we need to believe that there is something huge so that this really isn't it.

I don't know, just saying. I still have my beliefs and you still have yours.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Mostly because we do not need ETs to explain unknown aircraft.
After that, what is the need.
People have seen unexplained aircraft.
Willy Ley might have said they were extraterrestrial.
Guess some think he was mistaken since he might has worked on
the American saucer construction with Operation Paper Clip
scientists and engineers.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Originally posted by Badgered1
Because we are told what to believe, and what to fear from a very young age. These beliefs and fears are reinforced as we go through life by the MSM, politicians, parents, the religions, and those who hold the power. If you try to break free you are immediately labeled as an outsider by any and all of these influences and persecuted. This keeps everyone on track and on the treadmill.

After all, the MSM, the politicians, our parents, the religions, and those who hold the power would never, ever lie to us, right?

Exactly right. Many of the people you speak of are fundamentalist Bible believers, and they will never believe anything not in their book. Some just refuse to believe what they see with their own eyes. I remember one time I was driving with my ex wife at night, and one came right down to ground in a nearby field...I got out to look, and called to her, she got out and looked at it too. Later when I asked her what she thought of it, she told be she saw nothing at all, that it was my imagination! Some would say that even if one landed and a being got out to say Hi!

For me, it is not a "belief," it is a knowing. I have seen the craft, and several beings first hand, and once that happens to a person, everything changes, your thoughts, your beliefs, everything. You think different, act different, talk different, everything changes when you find out that there are those who are some 1000 years ahead of us in everything. I would welcome ET, if they could actually help our planet. The way things are going, we are facing extinction.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Some of us have robust minds are not going to be afraid of contact.

I don't believe anything - but the evidence that we are not alone, and that we are being visited is profound.

I don't believe - but I can be surprised - and I would be shocked to discover a large body of evidence that indicated we AREN'T being visited.

I would only be surprised by ET contact if one sneaked up behind me and shouted "BOO!" Sure, I'd jump.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
My two daughters were riding with their Dad home from church service, when they spotted this thing in a field. The girls said said they ask their Dad to stop, but instead he stepped on the gas and was out of there. They were excited when they got home to tell me. I was home with their sick sister and missed it.
I ask my husband and he said he didn't see anything. The girls said he looked straight at it and took off.
Now, years later, he said there was something there but he did not want to know about it and still doesn't.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You guys should check out this video, i find it really interesting

noted that not everyone is gonna have the same perception or views on this. i think it somewhat falls into topic.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I want some insight into why people can't handle the thought of intelligent extraterrestrial life existing, and visiting Earth...I notice it all the time...
[edit on 16/10/09 by CHA0S]

reading your thread and the post responses I'm a bit confused at your OP heading and premise:

WHO, exactly is this "WE" you are referring to? Seems as if you're making a rather blatant blanket statement about ..who? Are you referring to "majority" of the public citizenry? "WE.. reject..." certainly implies so, though I doubt you could quantify such an assertion.

And how does this majority rejection infer humanity as whole ("we") "Harshly" reject ET's? On the contrary, aside from a few (a small minority) of skeptics and fear mongers, my guess (and it is admittedly just a guess) is that most people do NOT reject the idea of ETs, harshly or otherwise.

All one need do is review the tremendous growth in interest in the topic both by the MSM and the protagonists such as you and I and our brethren ATSers.

In fact, the rapid growth of Astrobiology as an accepted discipline within academia soundly refutes your assertion. Even NASA, loathe to admit any involvement with UFOs is now quite conspicuously embracing and encouraging astrobiology as a legitimate filed of inquiry. The hunt for ET is accelerating in earnest, sir. We are looking and we WILL find them since nearly ALL of us already are convinced they exist.

Again, who is doing all this harsh rejection you speak of? Who is "we"??

Clearly, there is a rapidly rising crescendo of legitimate believers in extraterrestrial life, (existing ET), and although those in official circles remain on the fence regarding alien visitation et al (due to funding vulnerabilities and peer pressure more than anything), many of us firmly expect (not reject) the idea and are convinced validation of the existence of ET is imminent.

Perhaps a better thread title might have been, "Why do such a very few so harshly reject the idea of ETs...? A corollary may be, "Why do nearly all of us so enthusiastically accept the idea of ET's...".

Why indeed? Because we know they are there. All we are trying to do now is prove it...

Good luck - and thanks for posting. And... keep looking up

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Jacques Vallee is a French researcher who wrote a book on the historical Ufo and alien debate.

It is called Passport to Magonia and a pdf version can be downloaded by clicking the link.

Passport to Magonia is one of the classics of UFO literature. It is one of the first works to delve deeply into the parallels between folklore and fairy tales and modern UFO and entity sightings. Dr. Jacques Vallee s a French computer scientist who now lives in California. Vallee notes that ancient and medieval folklore are replete with stores of an aerial people with extraordinary powers who interact with the human species. The names or these creatures and their points of origin may vary from culture to culture. "Magonia" was the medieval French name for where these entities resided. Other names for these beings include fairies, incubus, demons, angels, elementals, the wee folk and goblins. On page 8 there is a description of a medieval elf seen in Scandinavia. Its depicted as being with an oversized head, tiny legs and long arms and responsible for circles seen on the ground. Notice the similarity to modern descriptions of UFO aliens.
roundtownufosociety.com...

I read this when it came out in 1969 and I am a firm believer that we are not alone in this universe.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Because it is called "assuming." You "assume" that because there are non-human aerial objects fleeting over earth's skies that the possible occupants have to be extra-terrestrial from another planet, another galaxy, another universe and there just isn't any evidence to support this view. The ETH is driven by the media and those with romantic ideology.

Yea, there are a ton of humans who claim to have been abducted by so-called aliens, but there isn't a single reliable evidential report of the reality of such an event and even fewer claims that the abducted have been taken to locales outside earth.

It is far easier to accept that since some UFOs and their possible occupants, if UFOs are not ROVs, seem to materialize and dematerialize that they should be considered an intra-dimensional phenomenom. No one has videotaped a UFO headed out to deep space. They're usually videotaped from earth and above earth by astronauts and have been shown as far as the moon.

No sir, no ETH for me.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I think the sheer size of the universe gives us the answer. There has to other evolved life in the universe, the probability that it doesn't exist is the error in thinking. So then the next question is how many planets have life that is at least as evolved as us? Hundreds? Thousands? Millions? The next question is that not all planets, solar systems and galaxies formed at the same time. We know this. How much earlier then our solar system could another like ours have formed? This could be, again hundreds, thousands but probably millions of years! Can you imagine that there could be hundreds or maybe only dozens of planets that evolved like our earth but have been evolving for a million years more than us. Imagine the techology. You can't. It's like star trek + star wars x 100,000 or could be at least. If you think of it this way, then yes they are observing us because it would be to easy to and imposible not to. We're sending out radio frequencies and little satelites etc. They know we're here. I'm not saying that 90% of all UFO sitings and abduction stories aren't fake. I believe they are. It's the other 10% makes you say hmmmm. But even if they are all fake, it doesn't change the odds that other life has evolved to levels far beyond where we are at and would have no problems visiting us if they chose to.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
First, "we" don't all harshly reject the possibility of ET's visiting earth. For every harsh skeptic, there is at least one gullible person who accepts every unexplained sighting as proof of ET's.

The reasons why many people reject UFO's as ET's are numerous, and often simple. For one thing, most UFO's are easily explained as known aircraft and other phenomena. That accounts for at least 90% of all UFO sightings. Among that remaining 10%, some may still be of familiar phenomena, but we weren't able to say exactly what it was. So OK, let's talk about that 10%.

Some of those - some percentage - could be of something we don't know about. Not a known aircraft, not a known atmospheric phenomenon, not any known sort of event at all. Not even any secret military experiments, or secret corporate experiments. Let's say that's true.

It still could be earthly. It could be an *unknown* atmospheric or other phenomenon. It could be an aircraft from an unknown terrestrial civilization, say one living in the center of the earth. It could be all sorts of things that were created here on earth. Nothing about these UFO sightings requires them to be extraterrestrial.

We have not seen evidence of any life or technology on other planets in our Solar System. This means that our ET's would have to be visiting from another star. The closest star to us is Proxima Centauri, about 4 light year away. That means it takes light four years to get here. It would take a ship much longer than that. Any other star takes even longer for light to reach us. Coming from another galaxy it would take hundreds of thousands, to billions of years.

Not only don't we know of any way to travel faster than the speed of light, we have scientific reasons to believe that this is impossible. That doesn't mean it really is impossible; it just means that science will have to be rewritten if it is. So far, we have nothing to show us it's ever going to be possible.

In the meantime, there is a serious lack of credible evidence. The standard explanation is that there is a conspiracy to suppress this evidence. Maybe so. However, the lack of evidence is still real. Without evidence, it is not possible to form a reliable opinion.

Photographic evidence is useless in this age of Photoshop. It wasn't much more useful before Photoshop, to be honest. It's just too easy to fake photographs. Same thing with video evidence, though that's harder to fake. Still, it can be done, and is often done. Even a genuine photograph of the real thing would be impossible to distinguish from a fake.

Witness reports aren't reliable, of course. Too many frauds. Also, some very sincere people also suffer from psychiatric illness, making their testimony dubious. Again, there is no reliable way to distinguish between a fake, a disturbed person, and someone who has had a genuine experience (if any such folks exist).

There isn't much of anything that would do it, outside of having a few aliens introduce themselves on television. Even then there will no doubt be those who cry "fake!".

You might want to ask why so many people are willing to believe in ET's,, when there is so little evidence of them. It is as reasonable a question as yours.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

I want some insight into why people can't handle the thought of intelligent extraterrestrial life existing, and visiting Earth...I notice it all the time...even when people see it, they still deny it...I have a friend who can't seem to handle the idea, yet he's seen a UFO in broad day light, which defied all explanation...he admits that, but still won't accept the ET presence...he just sort of ignores the fact that he saw it...in a recent thread, I read that a girl started crying when she witnessed a UFO, that couldn't have been anything from this Earth...

Your friend saw a UFO and you immediately, without evidence jump to it being an alien craft. Why could it not just be a secret government vehicle? I have long hoped that the UFO's are from another world, the hope that inspires, the idea that we could leave our world and become a space faring civilization is truly fantastic. However i cannot believe in something until i have proof and as of yet there is no irrefutable proof of aliens visiting Earth.

Yes, the bulk of people will tell you they believe Aliens exist in our universe, based on simple logic and the sheer size of our universe...but when directly confronted with the truth...they freak out...and because we can't travel to far from Earth, the only way we can get that truth, is if ET's visit us...which is even more confronting...and people just can't handle being directly confronted with the truth about Aliens...they would rather shrug it off, like it never happened and live in ignorance...it's sad...

No some of us would happily accept aliens visiting Earth, we just need proof. Mathematically yes there must be life elsewhere in the universe, mathematically some of that life is intelligent, hhere is no maths that can support them visiting us though.

Don't lump all of the disbelievers into the same bin, many of us would love aliens to exist, be visiting Earth and reveal themselves. To label us all as the same, scared people is simply dishonest of you.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Later when I asked her what she thought of it, she told be she saw nothing at all, that it was my imagination! Some would say that even if one landed and a being got out to say Hi!
Yes...I'm sure there are those so comfortable within their little box...that no amount of evidence will ever set them free...very good story, thanks for the contribution.

reply to post by moonwize

I ask my husband and he said he didn't see anything. The girls said he looked straight at it and took off.
Now, years later, he said there was something there but he did not want to know about it and still doesn't.
This is what I'm saying...when people are actually faced with the truth...I think they find it easier to just ignore the whole thing like it vener happened...but I really can't see how people could lie to themselves to such a degree...we really are creatures of habbit...

reply to post by LetLoveBKnown1300

You guys should check out this video, i find it really interesting
Thanks a lot for that...I always enjoy seeing how ET's pop up throughout our historic writings and art.

reply to post by Outrageo

And how does this majority rejection infer humanity as whole ("we") "Harshly" reject ET's? On the contrary, aside from a few (a small minority) of skeptics and fear mongers, my guess (and it is admittedly just a guess) is that most people do NOT reject the idea of ETs, harshly or otherwise.

All one need do is review the tremendous growth in interest in the topic both by the MSM and the protagonists such as you and I and our brethren ATSers.
As I said in the opening post, I realize the bulk of people accept the Alien presence as real...and the number of "believers" is growing...but as I said...deep down they still reject the idea...and this becomes apparent when they are faced with the truth dead on...that is the test as to whether they will accept what they see...or whether they deny and reject it...I was probably wrong...and the greater portion of people might not reject what they've seen...but there is still a good portion of people who just can't handle that reality...and this is what I'm focusing on...the fact that people even deny something they've seen with their own eyes...and even suppress that memory...

reply to post by calcoastseeker

I read this when it came out in 1969 and I am a firm believer that we are not alone in this universe.
Thank you...that sounds very interesting...a definite must read...

reply to post by Skeptical Ed

Because it is called "assuming." You "assume" that because there are non-human aerial objects fleeting over earth's skies that the possible occupants have to be extra-terrestrial from another planet, another galaxy, another universe and there just isn't any evidence to support this view.
No...I came to the conclusion that extraterrestrials visit Earth based on a whole body of evidence I have read over the past few years...when those objects travel at speeds and make maneuvers that no human air-craft could make...I assume it's Alien or a secret project...the chances of it being something else are highly unlikely...now I wouldn't just settle with that though...it takes hundreds of reports from all describing what seem to be the same beings...and they aren't from this Earth...a lot of this people are highly intelligent and highly respected...you can't win me over easily...but as I said, in my personal opinion, there is enough evidence to win 100 court cases on the existence of intelligent being not from this Earth...it's more than clear to me...and I don't want to sound harsh, but if you actually do the research, and see all this, and still deny their existence, and that they do in fact visit Earth...your a moron...that's why it really annoys me when the average Joe will scoff and make fun of the subject when he hasn't even done the research in the first place...

reply to post by amazing

I'm not saying that 90% of all UFO sitings and abduction stories aren't fake. I believe they are. It's the other 10% makes you say hmmmm. But even if they are all fake, it doesn't change the odds that other life has evolved to levels far beyond where we are at and would have no problems visiting us if they chose to.
I'd assume more than 10% of the sightings and abduction cases are real...there just isn't that many crazy people...or people looking for attention...the numbers are huge. Way beyond coincidence...something definitely is happening...and as you say...it isn't a stretch of the mind to assume they could be visiting Earth for one reason or another...

reply to post by chiron613

Some of those - some percentage - could be of something we don't know about. Not a known aircraft, not a known atmospheric phenomenon, not any known sort of event at all. Not even any secret military experiments, or secret corporate experiments. Let's say that's true.

It still could be earthly. It could be an *unknown* atmospheric or other phenomenon. It could be an aircraft from an unknown terrestrial civilization, say one living in the center of the earth. It could be all sorts of things that were created here on earth. Nothing about these UFO sightings requires them to be extraterrestrial.

As I said...I have my reasons for believing it's more than just some phenomena..

Not only don't we know of any way to travel faster than the speed of light, we have scientific reasons to believe that this is impossible. That doesn't mean it really is impossible; it just means that science will have to be rewritten if it is. So far, we have nothing to show us it's ever going to be possible.

In the meantime, there is a serious lack of credible evidence. The standard explanation is that there is a conspiracy to suppress this evidence. Maybe so. However, the lack of evidence is still real. Without evidence, it is not possible to form a reliable opinion.
What if they increase the frequency of matter, and quantize their crafts...making them essentially weigh nothing, making it possible to reach any speed imaginable...maybe they travel through black holes or warp space them selves...

You might want to ask why so many people are willing to believe in ET's,, when there is so little evidence of them. It is as reasonable a question as yours.
You obviously haven't done much research...what about those 52 children that that ALL witnessed a UFO land and Aliens get out...which telepathically communicated to them...they were even interviewed by a psychiatrist and declared to be telling the truth...you may say they were all lying...but I say THAT is just a stretch of the mind...and an attempt to deny the truth...there is so much that directly shows these occurrences are the result of intelligent life not from this Earth...once you actually do some REAL research on the subject...you will find it impossible to deny the truth...it's more than freakin obvious in my oppionion, and it boggles my mind as to why why still don't have the truth out there...anyway...I'll be back in a few hours...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
The Phoenix has already landed
80% of the population is not ready for it.
By accepting that who ever has been here for as long as the universe existed.
someone will have to say sorry I lied please give me forgiveness.
untill that happens people will have to find out on their own wont they.
it's unfortunate the amount of corruption that is on this site is pretty ridiculous.
people will have to face their demons sooner or later. probably sooner then later.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Why are you asking a forum that quite obviously believe they do exist.

You want to put this question elsewhere where people who obviosuly DONT believe gather,

Otherwise you're simply going to get conjecture and biased opinion.

My bit, for what its worth - Only a fool says we are alone but only the foolish say they are here with us. Based on all the anecdotal evidence and hypothetical understanding, aliens as we consider them, are not here. Something is, however.

What *THAT* is, is yet to be determined..

[edit on 17/10/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Why are you asking a forum that quite obviously believe they do exist.

You want to put this question elsewhere where people who obviosuly DONT believe gather,

Otherwise you're simply going to get conjecture and biased opinion
Well...you make quite a good point...but I have gotten some good insight so far...so it wasn't totally pointless...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadicalDreamersoahcof
The Phoenix has already landed
80% of the population is not ready for it.
By accepting that who ever has been here for as long as the universe existed.
someone will have to say sorry I lied please give me forgiveness.
untill that happens people will have to find out on their own wont they.
it's unfortunate the amount of corruption that is on this site is pretty ridiculous.
people will have to face their demons sooner or later. probably sooner then later.

I'm curious as to what you mean and how you came about this information? It doesn't sound like your talking about aliens? inquiring minds want to know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join