It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are all opinions met with defensive attacks?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I started reading this forum well over two years ago and I like to think that I was able to pool all of the information I have discovered into an accurate view of the world I could not find anywhere else. There are amazing threads, great links and sources, and great opinions from every member.

It seems that since Barack Obama has been elected president of the United States, opinions regarding politics religion or race are met with strict opposition and an automatic win based on defensive attacks such as calling someone anything from a long list of names that I'm sure everyone is aware of.

I don't even want to read political related threads anymore because the sheer amount of ignorant responses and lack of constructive opinions boils my blood. It's my personal belief that those that call people racists for absolutely no reason are perpetuating abusive stereotypes more than real racists themselves!

Those calling others Right-wing nuts or radical conservatives is even more maddening because anyone that has spent more than a few minutes to understand our political system reveals that both parties are equally to blame for every poor thing in the united states and only serve to divide the population into two. I have to say, the government is succeeding in both distracting and dividing us in this respect.

I understand that the site administration was aware of this issue and they created a section just for it so others can stay away, but all this does is drive home the idea that political correctness and blind following can silence anyone. This makes it difficult for people like me to read others opinions without seeing them being labeled a racist or insane.

I dare say that there are no bigots, racists, or radicals on this board. Only free individuals that have a right to express their opinions. It wasn't until people started using these terms to win otherwise unwinnable arguments that it became a problem. This has now set a precedent that all are taking advantage of, and its destroying this community's experience.

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, I just feel this is a growing problem that deserves some sort of direction no matter how small.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Traffic]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Because Obama has enabled and emboldened some people who should have stayed silent because of lack of intelligence. In an over-crowded world this will probably lead to violence and we will probably re-live the 60's on a grander more distorted scale.
Instead the push for education would have been a better move. Now we will see people picking up weapons and enforcing their opinions. Very sad that this will give power to Islam who has already infiltrated much of the West.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Traffic

If you are insulted, offended or anoyed by a certain member/s you have the option of hitting the ignore button. Anything that breaches T&C's will be delt accrodingly by the moderators.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
You assume all opinions are met with defensive attacks, and this is an assumption that is unfounded. The use of fallacies is not the problem, rather, the problems are an unwillingness to make attempts to understand the other sides perspective as well as prior experiences that contribute to ignorance. Moreover, you are incorrect when you say, "This has now set a precedent that all are taking advantage of". If you've looked at any post of mine where there has been a disagreement, you'll see I'm the one asking for proof, sources, asking the person to stop using fallacies, etc. You'll see I'm the one telling people to stop jumping to conclusions about my race and gender simply because I'm outspoken when it comes to certain topics.

OP, are you of the belief that all opinions should be expressed or that the expression of all opinions leads to a better experience? If so, how does the recent claim by an ATS member that "NO ONE here can deny that black people have naturally destructive behavior.", contribute to enhancing the ATS experience?

In closing, your post is not applicable to all on ATS, nor are all opinions met with defensive attacks.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by EMPIRE]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Traffic

Wrong thread... my bad!

[edit on 16/10/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

dude, just reading your reply makes me think you are defensive. I can't see your color through my computer screen and I really don't care. Your tone and words are hostile.

OP, there is a good point to what you are saying. Emboldened people who are acting defensively aren't healthy. Our society will suffer from this display of angst and outburst. It's scary.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Traffic
It's my personal belief that those that call people racists for absolutely no reason are perpetuating abusive stereotypes more than real racists themselves!

You are completely correct - and here is the simple counter argument.

So, you are calling me a racist regarding Obama?

Question - if I am black, is your assertion that I am racist still valid?

No? Then in other words, you are saying that my comments are based on my skin color? So, that your assertion is due to my skin color, I am morally compromised - or rather, that my moral judgment is of a low standard, because of my skin color?

Now quickly turn this around, lets say I am black - and your assertion is that I am morally inferior due to my skin color?

How would you categorize a statement like that? I for one would call it racist.

In other words - it is in fact YOU who are the racist here.

End of argument.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Please see other threads on the topic.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by JJay55]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon

Originally posted by Traffic
It's my personal belief that those that call people racists for absolutely no reason are perpetuating abusive stereotypes more than real racists themselves!

You are completely correct - and here is the simple counter argument.

So, you are calling me a racist regarding Obama?

Question - if I am black, is your assertion that I am racist still valid?

No? Then in other words, you are saying that my comments are based on my skin color? So, that your assertion is due to my skin color, I am morally compromised - or rather, that my moral judgment is of a low standard, because of my skin color?

Now quickly turn this around, lets say I am black - and your assertion is that I am morally inferior due to my skin color?

How would you categorize a statement like that? I for one would call it racist.

In other words - it is in fact YOU who are the racist here.

End of argument.

Basing your argument solely on color makes you not only a racist but also shallow. heh.

I can see this thread turning into a scene from PeeWee Herman's Big Adventure. I know you are but what am I?
Crikey.

Considering the implications of hostility it would seem that contributors to this thread have made a personal effort toward self control, but alas... true colors shine through.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

Do you even understand my post .. at all?

I agree with the OP - people use stupid name calling to try and win - if you say something about a black persons views (regardless if you even knew they were black !) then you can get labeled a racist.

The argument I presented above is the response you can give if anyone calls you a racist.

The fact that they label you as a racist - is in itself a racist attack - it perpetuates the problem - and is pure foolishness.

My post clearly shows why calling someone a racist - is in itself racist.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
reply to post by JJay55

Do you even understand my post .. at all?

I agree with the OP - people use stupid name calling to try and win - if you say something about a black persons views (regardless if you even knew they were black !) then you can get labeled a racist.

The argument I presented above is the response you can give if anyone calls you a racist.

The fact that they label you as a racist - is in itself a racist attack - it perpetuates the problem - and is pure foolishness.

My post clearly shows why calling someone a racist - is in itself racist.

dude. I told you this would turn into PeeWee. And that means that unless you take control and stop the madness that you are stuck in perpetual animation of bs. It's not pretty. good luck.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
Because Obama has enabled and emboldened some people who should have stayed silent because of lack of intelligence. In an over-crowded world this will probably lead to violence and we will probably re-live the 60's on a grander more distorted scale.
Instead the push for education would have been a better move. Now we will see people picking up weapons and enforcing their opinions. Very sad that this will give power to Islam who has already infiltrated much of the West.

yeah yeah

last time in the 60s it was communism now its islam yadda yadda.

instead of vietnam it is afghanistan.

and protestors do not need to pick up weapons in america to get shot for opposing your government .. just ask the parents of the college kids murdered on their campus by your services for having an opinion about vietnam.

60s en.wikipedia.org...

you are already living the 60s on a grander scale .. 911 ring any bells.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by manxman2]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by manxman2

You say we are reliving the sixties on a grander scaler, no way I was there and we did somthing about it, not today, where are the protesters, hiding in their comfy homes....I was also there for Kent State..54,000 lives and for what?

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Michael Kors has a line of silk tie-dye. It is the 60's again. Only without the paraquat. I loved the 60's.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

Me too except those dry cleaning bills.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Traffic

It's a fair point and is one of the reasons I don't get involved with the debate.

When bush was in office, it was a fairly simple drawing of lines between the "right" and the "left"

However, now that race has been thrown into the mix, the whole thing has become extremely ugly.

I don't know if some of the opposition is racially motivated, but I suspect for a MINORITY that it plays a part.

The alert button is there for a reason, as is the ignore button - but the best tactic to retaining temper or sanity remains the same, don't read it if it strikes a nerve or seems likely to.

If in doubt, walk away

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

You are entitled to your unfounded opinions. However, you're doing exactly what the OP is talking about. Look at any exchange between the two of us and you'll see it.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
reply to post by JJay55

You are entitled to your unfounded opinions. However, you're doing exactly what the OP is talking about. Look at any exchange between the two of us and you'll see it.

No thank you.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Yep, gotta love the ignore button. It's fantastic.

Meanwhile on this topic. There are agent provacateurs who will go to certain government offices and universities and plant a racial slur in order to get their foot in the door and force diversity. It's the same principle of Islam using our own airplanes to fly into the WTC. Using our laws and constitution against us until we have to abandon them at which point we will be entirely infiltrated.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

TY for proving my point.

Here is the root of your anger.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join