It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

False memories 'written' on flies' brains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Well, here's an interesting and potentially ominous development....there was talk earlier this year of drugs and treatment to remove traumatic memories (think "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind").

In a way this is even darker because rather than removing trauma, they are actually able to CREATE FALSE MEMORIES OF TRAUMA that never happened!

False memories 'written' on flies' brains

Scientists have given fruit flies memories of traumatic experiences that never actually happened by directly manipulating nerve cells in their brains.

Researchers were able to directly write memories onto the brains of fruit flies. (iStockphoto) Researchers in the U.K. and U.S. were able to create an association in the flies' brains between an odour and an unpleasant experience, akin to an electric shock. The treated flies avoided the smell as if the bad memory had actually happened.

More at soucre:
www.cbc.ca...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Ah yes, the first step to mind control.

I hope they mind control flies into committing mass suicide.

But in all honesty, this is a bit disturbing to me. I understand there could be some good things that could come about from this, such as allowing someone who has experienced a traumatic life event to forget it and move on with their daily routine...but in turn it could be a horrible manipulator if it fell into the wrong hands.

S+F.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Obviously we are only talking about writing false memories on a fruit flies brain at present but its certainly a step in the direction that one day this will be used on human beings.

As Malzypants says this technology could be used in a positive manner however I think its a greater possibility that it could be abused.

False memories of traumatic events? Thats a great way to keep a hold over someone in my opinion, create a false memory and an associated trigger, bingo!

To take it one step even further, what if they managed to implant a false memories of you killing someone???

You would be arrested and sent to jail for a crime you did not commit however you would think that you was guilty!

Scary stuff...

S+F!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Now that's fairly interesting...and scary...but I would have thought a fruit flies memory couldn't be much better than a gold fish...it doesn't really make sense to me...I don't think they implanted an actual memory, but rather just some type of link between that smell and an electric shock...so they think it's a bad idea to go near that smell...it's still a fair way off implanting actual false memories...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Thanks for the input, people.

Personally I think any technology that can be abused, will be. I am certainly not a shrink or neurologist, but something tells me there is a better way to deal with trauma than to erase it from the brain (except perhaps in certain extremely severe cases, and even that's questionable). Why not work on enhancing people's ability to learn from their trauma and grow stronger?

And as for the ability to implant trauma, well, I simply can't see anything good coming of that.

Actually I think the ability to implant trauma has been well known to various governments for decades. Brainwashing is real and it isn't new. The US, the former USSR/current Russia, and the Chinese have been working on this from a scientific angle since at least the 1950s. This is not a purely psychological thing either...electroshock, drugging, etc. are interwoven with torture both mental and physical. I think expertise currently exists to make a given person believe or forget anything.

Nevertheless, if they can somehow do it by surgical means that's a "short cut" and a technological advance. This will make it easier for more nations, groups, and even individuals to harness it to whatever dark ends they happen to desire. Are you ready for a round of high-tech neo-medievalism?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

An earthworm's brain is faster than the fastest super computer in existence today. A little factoid for ya. My gold fish seems to have quite a good memory. All I have to say is "you want some food" and it goes crazy till I drop some food in there. I do the same thing every day and like Pavlov's dog it responds to the stimuli and associates it with food.

I guess you would have to actually see my gold fish do this in order to believe it. However, I am a firm believer that we constantly underestimate other species.

new topics

top topics

join