It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it harder to perceive nothing after death, then it is to perceive life in the afterlife?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I got thinking, what would life be like if there isn’t an afterlife. Could you perceive no life after death? Most people relate it to going to sleep, but the first thing that comes to most people’s mind is just seeing black. Now black is just a color perceived by the human mind. How can we perceive nothing?? Like I think it is really hard to think about oblivion. I could think of an alternate dimension easier then thinking of nothing. What are your views? Also for someone who has had a WILD (Wake Induced Lucid Dream) , knows that you can’t really relate going to bed with oblivion. So how would you relate something to nothingness?? So What are your views on this matter ATS?? Do you think the concept of an afterlife is easier to picture then no afterlife??

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Good thread. I want to see what other folks say. Personally, I just cannot imagine nothingness, it is impossible to grasp. Energy never ends, it just takes different forms. Since we are a form of energy, I cannot understand how someone can think we just blink into nothing.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
One atheist when questioned if he feared death, replied, I did just fine for billions of years, Im sure i'll be fine the rest of em. lol

I can imagine it pretty easily now, i've thought long and hard about it, and it is disturbing at first, but you come to grips with it.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Maddogkull, maybe I am wrong but didn't you have a similar thread recently?

If not, someone else did, and I replied there.

Anyway, my feeling is that it will be like a night when you go to bed and look at the clock and it's 10:00 pm, you go to sleep and then feel like you have woken up immediately, only now the clock says 6:00 am.

The time between just simply does not exist in your memory. No blackness. Just nothing.

You are nothing, upon death.

And you don't percieve blackness, you percieve NOTHING. Because there is NOTHING to be percieved.

That is my thought anyway.

Religious people think that means I just don't want to be held accountable for my actions.

That isn't true. If I am wrong I will burn in Hell. If not I will simply not exist.

If Hell exists and Christianity or Catholicism are correct.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I can imagine it. It would be no realization of anything, like a dreamless sleep. I think it is harder for people to imagine nothingness than an afterlife because the thought of existance after the transition into the unknown realm of death.
Perhaps nothing could be interpreted as an equilibrium, no worries, no wants, no needs, no thought, no existance.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

I look at is like this. I have no perception of what was, before I was born. It doesn't mean nothing occured before my birth. But prove it to me. As far as I am concerned, I created all at the time of my bitrh. And so, at my death, I will create my own death and all that occurs. I am, you know, God.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I am, you know, God.

so am i, and so is everyone on ats... we are all god... "tat tvam asi"

as an atheist, i find it easier to percieve life after death rather than nothing, just because i find it difficult to comprehend what not thinking would be like, BUT i dont believe in an after life, and DO believe your thoughts stop with your body

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
It's a contradiction in terms you can be in a state of nothingness and perception at the same time. You can't be fully unconscious and be perceiving consciousness.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
In order to perceive anything you have to think. When you die you stop thinking, all brain functions cease including your senses and perception. No you won't perceive life or death. In fact technically you will never die because you won't ever realize you died. Death can only be viewed from the outside. I think Jesus taught a lot of people that but a lot of them never get it because they are too wrapped up in themselves.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

how could u perceive anything after death when you, your mind and soul have been erased? You cant perceive anything anymore.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I don't really know, but I like to think that inside our mind, in the subconscious part maybe, there's a higher self, like an entity of yourself, that knows all your 'history', from past lifes, etc, and has a very very high awareness of everything.
That would also be what astral projectors call 'guide' I guess.

Anyway, it would be like after you die, your 'piece of soul' that was assigned to your body will merge with your higher self, and live in another 'realm', not the physical one obviously. After some time, another piece of your soul would be assigned to a new body - but all the awareness you have from your past lifes etc etc would be 'taken away', staying with your higher self.

Pretty crazy stuff...

Anyway, mb when you die you just die and it's like when you go to sleep and wake up the next day without consciously remembering anything while you were sleeping. sleep time = missing hours on your conscious mind. But don't forget that your subsconscious is always working, even though you may not perceive it (and you can make your conscious mind work as well, by having lucid dreams and OBEs...).

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Moraz]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

No, I had another thread asking what people views are about death. This thread relates to perceiving nothing or something when you die. Also when people say they relate it going into a dreamless sleep, I have a problem perceiving that. Because when you go into a dreamless state, you’re unconscious but your body (sub consciousness) is still working. You are still alive. But when you die all of that goes. So I think perceiving nothing, would even be more complicated then thinking of a dreamless state.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
the "nothingness" of the afterlife is actually your soul. You can't see it because the soul is what is seen. It would be like if your soul was a video camera, recording the world, so how can you turn the video recorder and record itself? You can't, unless there is another video camera (another soul, i.e. person).

The soul is nothing-ness but not nothing, how could it be nothing if it is you?

sites.google.com...
email: julianmalizia@gmx.com

you can email me if you have any question.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by ancient_wisdom]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
But who says a soul exists? There is no evidence, like I said. I am a believer of an afterlife of some sort maybe energy. But I am saying there isn’t evidence close to a soul. So how can I be my soul. I am my ego. My ego originates in my brain. Once my brain goes, "I" go. But the whole thing is, is that when your brain dies, it is not like you are sleeping, because your brain is still active. So how can you relate nothingness to when you go to bed, when subconsciously you’re still alive when you fall asleep? I find the whole concept of "Nothing" really hard to picture.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Hmmm...time for a thought experiment? This can be grasped.

Imagine what you know of the current presence of some unknown person that has long since passed, perhaps 10,000 years ago. Be in their mind, as it is now. Since you seem to know you're here thinking about that, it's should be clear upon obtaining the true realization from this exercise that their own asking of the question during their life is answered.

[edit on 10/16/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
It's just non-existence, nothingness, not to be confused with limbo or purgatory. After death there is just that, death and you rot in the ground and you cease to exist. People compare ti to a never-ending sleep or blackness, but that's flawed, a better word would be as I said above, nothingness or non-existence.

Just absolutely nothing, you don't think, you aren't self-aware, you're dead and nothing else.

It's sad, but there's really no reason to think otherwise. Enjoy your life you have here on Earth and don't worry about the afterlife.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
if there is nothing, then there is nothing to worry about..
thats the only conclusion i came to when i've thought of this in the past,, and when i occasionally think of it again.

i'm not afraid of death,

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
sometimes i think of death as a drug, once u take this drug the trip dosent end... and with all drugs your trip depends on your head space when u go into the trip.... i sometimes think that when this happens that your feeling and headspace is forever impressioned into a feeling and thats your afterlife... if you go into death with fear then you will be 'in hell' if you figure life out and realize its all about love then when u die all you feel is love.. and there are mediums in between..

and sometimes i think of other things completely like 'nothingness' and 'higher dimensions and places'

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by hautmess
sometimes i think of death as a drug, once u take this drug the trip dosent end... and with all drugs your trip depends on your head space when u go into the trip.... i sometimes think that when this happens that your feeling and headspace is forever impressioned into a feeling and thats your afterlife... if you go into death with fear then you will be 'in hell' if you figure life out and realize its all about love then when u die all you feel is love.. and there are mediums in between.. and how nothingness can fit into this theory is that if your living your life not listening to yourself or thoughts and just doing nothing and feeling nothing then thats pretty much all you get,, but if you are able to find love and able to feel love and not fear death then your rewarded with your feeling into infinity.

and sometimes i think of other things life 'higher dimensions and places' and being reborn and doing ti all over again but with different choices, or being reincarnated or like the matrix... who knows.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It could be stated in such a way as to divorce the idea from any notions or afterlife or no afterlife. There is no need to venture there.

To not exist is entirely unlike any THING.

It should be a little easier now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join