It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE problems with Apple iPhone wet sensor detector

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I was just about to buy an Apple iPhone, but, after doing some surfing looking for any reported problems with the Apple iPhone, I was surprised to find out that the wet sensor that the iPhone has appears to be over sensitive, frequently producing false-positive readings of moisture levels.

So, when the false-positive wet sensor turns red -- instantly the warranty is voided.

Is this a sneaky conspiracy by Apple to save themselves a ton of money by dramatically increasing the numbers of iPhones' warranties voided, as well as to make a ton of money by having people to buy another iPhone? It appears to be so.

techgeist.net...

While device manufacturers should not have to make good on fraudulent warranty claims, they very much should and are legally required to honor legitimate warranty claims. Yet it is Apple’s unbending position that one triggered external liquid sensor meets the criterion for “submersion.” How can Apple say this with a straight face?

Here's another good article on this problem:

blog.squaretrade.com...

There has a bit of noise in the news lately about Apple’s policy towards iPhones with moisture damage. A lot of complaints have been surfacing on twitter, forums and blogs that iPhones are so sensitive to moisture damage that a sweaty hand at the gym or a few episodes of being in the same room as a steamy shower can trigger the moisture sensor and cause a manufacturer’s warranty claim to be rejected by Apple. Not good.

I have also found numerous complaints on BBS boards about people complaining about this problem as well, so you can find them by googling this as well.

I smell a rat here.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
It's not just apple. I have seen this on a lot of Motorola's as well. I even thought of getting into the business of selling NEW moisture sensors. They turn color from ambient humidity. Carrying on in your pocket for a couple weeks will darken it. It's just a conspiracy to separate you from your money and to give them an out when it comes to honoring the warranty.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
It's not just apple. I have seen this on a lot of Motorola's as well.

As well as Blackberry, as far as I understand it. This sucks.

I wonder which phones out there are moisture-resistant? I live in snow country, so dropping a cell phone into snow does not appeal to me.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Anyone remember the Xbox360? When it first came out, they "discoverd" a problem with the fanning system causing it to over heat and cause the three red lights, so they released a fan adapter for £50.

Luckly, microsoft got caught and had to extend all warrenties to 3 years, however microsoft are famous for these sort of tactics.

Norton also did something simular, by putting a virus on the computer so that you would have to buy it to remove the virus.

Loads of companies do this, its a little thing called "business".

If you bring out a product such as the iPhone, it will be hard to consistantly make money. Yes, people will buy it, (many people) but once everyone has it, they wont realy need to buy another, so after a couple of years, the competition will step up. (iPhones have so much, it will be hard for them to create another model worth buying if you already have an iPhone)

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Historical-Mozart

I wonder which phones out there are moisture-resistant? I live in snow country, so dropping a cell phone into snow does not appeal to me.

Sharp makes 4 or 5 that you can likely find online if you look around.
mb.softbank.jp...

I'm looking at their new waterproof / solar rechargeable model (top of the page).

I'm on my third Sharp in 5 years right now, and no complaints with any of them.

XL5

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
If you have access to a recycled cell phone bin, get a phone out and find the white sticker and transplant it! Unless of course the iphone has one with writing on it or a different shape.

You could test sealing methods on old cell phones moisture stickers, like superglue, oil, clear wax, stuff like that.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I find this whole story laughable. Its NOT a conspiracy for heavens sake. People need to stop blaming Apple for their iPhone issues. People seem to forget this isnt your average phone, its the smallest hand held computer for heavens sake! You cant be sitting near a hot shower(WHY anyone would do this long enough to where their phone breaks is beyond me) and why would you have your phone next to you at the gym? There are worst things I can think of happening in a Gym besides "sweaty palms." I am really tired of people blaming Apple when their phone isnt working or their warranty isnt valid. Its not Apple's fault people dont know how to take care of their phones! I have dropped my phone many times, spilled water on it and cracked the screen and it was STILL replaced. All the things that happened to it were accidents as a result of my careless handling of my iPhone and I did not expect Apple to pay for it but the warranty was still active and I got another phone. I know a guy who works for the cable company and he has had FOUR replacement iPhones all due to his careless handling of it. Two he paid for and two were covered. Please stop complaining about your iphones people and take care of them or get a different phone!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Honestly all you need to do is carefully dab small amounts of bleach to the dots with a q-tip until the dots are white again. Couple that with sticking it in a jar of dry rice for a few days to absorb the moisture from the phone and you should be fine.

there are how to videos out there.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

Very cool, shadow watcher -- that's useful to know.

Have you done this yourself?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Gratefully no. I did see the time-lapsed videos of it.
By this time you are already in trouble. Trying it would either set you right or leave you where you already were. Sort of nothing to lose.

I think there should be levels of care within the warrantee. At least a clause to allow the unfortunate soul a way to fix it. To turn you back on a future sales is not smart.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
uu a son of anarchy avatar,,rock on brother^^
and for you sister,people have every right to blame apple! do you know what this is?
i00.twenga.com...
this thing can widstand damage,wet,being droped out of the second floor,u just reset it,and it works. sure an iphone is alot more hi-tech but there is no excuse for sabotagin the sensor like that! apple brides them selfs on being "the best" yea well theyr buisness tatctics sure are awful like the rest

top topics

join