It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Unconstitutional Nobel

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Look up the original ratified 13th ammendment it has a statement of such

"If any citizen of the United States shall accept, claim, receive, or retain any title of nobility, or honour, or shall, without the consent of Congress, accept any present, pension, office, or emolument, of any kind whatever, from any emperor, king, prince, or foreign power, such person shall cease to be a citizen of the United States, and shall be incapable of holding any office of trust or profit under them, or either of them:"

www.amendment-13.org...

I used to think the Noble prizes where honors

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I think "laureate" is the title.

In English, the word laureate has come to signify eminence or association with literary or military glory. It is also used for winners of the Nobel Prize.

en.wikipedia.org...

Military glory huh. Well perhaps it is deserved after all.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
When Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson won the award, they were both well into their second term as President and it was pretty obvious what their opinions were at the time. I have wondered before if the Nobel prize was an attempt to push Woodrow Wilson into getting the U.S. to sign onto a peace treaty with the European nations. Congress of course rejected the Treaty of Versailles

You could raise the same questions about Theodore Roosevelt. Even though he did help broker a peace treaty between Russia and Japan, he also pushed for treaties with European nations.

Roosevelt also played a prominent part in extending the use of arbitration to international problems in the Western Hemisphere, concluding several arbitration treaties with European powers too, although the Senate refused to ratify them.

nobelprize.org...

It does make you wonder if this is an attempt to coerce Pres. Obama into pushing harder on areas that favor the EU. Even Obama himself has mentioned that he was surprised that he received the award. What exactly this nudge may or may not mean, it's hard to base it on past actions. There's not really a good reason to point to so we look to what this might mean for the future.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Well, the award does come with a $1.4 million prize. As the news article points out, Pres. Obama can't even give that to charity in his name since that would give him a huge tax break.

As far as the title of "Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize" I'd say that this was actually better than the title of "Sir" or "Lord" since so very few people actually receive the award. For instance you could use it to boost your reputation and status. Looking at it that way I'm sure even the medal they give out would have to receive the blessing of Congress. We'll just have to wait and see what Congress says.

Let me see now, a democrat majority congress how will they vote

Hmmmmmm

If Congress lets obam keep the title the $1.4 needs to go to the United

States Treasury to help pay down the debt LOL $84 trillion in debt $1.4

million might buy a second or two going towards the debt. ^Y^

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by fleetlord

Perhaps this rule was overlooked in the past since the actual acheivement was big and important enough for the people to accept and understand why their leader got an award?

Well honestly in my humble opinion I don't think there are too many people on the entire planet let alone the country who understand why their leader got this award.

The fact that the committee vaguely alluded to ‘his promise of hope and change’ as being the main factor to ‘encourage’ his ‘continued’ efforts…kind of sounds like a 1.4 million dollar inducement and/or bribe to me to pursue a foreign based charity's agenda along those lines.

That in fact is the kind of thing the Law was designed to keep from happening by making it impossible for non-American, foreign based interests to buy access or influence policy through cash or the gift of title.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Perhaps this rule was overlooked in the past since the actual acheivement was big and important enough for the people to accept and understand why their leader got an award?

Well honestly in my humble opinion I don't think there are too many people on the entire planet let alone the country who understand why their leader got this award.

The fact that the committee vaguely alluded to ‘his promise of hope and change’ as being the main factor to ‘encourage’ his ‘continued’ efforts…kind of sounds like a 1.4 million dollar inducement and/or bribe to me to pursue a foreign based charity's agenda along those lines.

That in fact is the kind of thing the Law was designed to keep from happening by making it impossible for non-American, foreign based interests to buy access or influence policy through cash or the gift of title.

Isn't our president a foreigner too with foreign based interests? obama may

be thinking what Constitution the U.S. still has a Constitution?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The Nobel Commission is not a State. It's a private institution.

This is just more Obama-bashing. Not saying he did or didn't deserve the prize. I wouldn't know about that. But he isn't barred from accepting it.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by amari

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Isn't our president a foreigner too with foreign based interests? obama may

be thinking what Constitution the U.S. still has a Constitution?

We had a Constitution up until 1861. Since then it’s been basically out of use and is basically a museum show piece and sales tool for attracting immigrants and pacifying to locals with some occasional illusion and delusion.

The Constitution was designed to govern a free nation where people would live by self determination as sovereigns in their own right with three basic laws; those being you could not kill, steal or commit treason.

Today we are governed by the United States Civil Code which has about 600,000 laws designed to profit off of and control every facet of life and human behavior by a Corporate Government that has replaced common sense with political correctness and 24 hour a day media to instill in us cleverly coined words, phrases and terms to make more palpable and innocent the underlying sinister and amoral things it does to not just control us and extort money from us but to get us to be willing coconspirators in controlling the entire world and extorting money from everyone.

Obama is a litmus test by the Ruling Oligarchs to gauge how defeated the American people are by the 24 hour a day brainwashing and a constantly watered down and constantly revised educational system that basically educates the masses to a functional illiterate level capable of performing menial tasks for minimum wages but not analyzing complex social, economic, logistical and political problems or mounting an organized opposition to corporate government control and their abandonment of the Constitution.

If they can get a foreign born Obama through 4 entire years of his term all the while introducing more police state politically correct controls they will have won.

The Nobel Prize is simply one more test to see if the populace will react in a way that demands Constitutional law and principals will be applied.

The Media will call for the politically correct response: The world knows our beloved President is leading us to and fulfilling his promise of hope and change.

It will be up for the few citizens who care like the Original Poster to say hey wait a minute the law says…

If that group should pick up any credible numbers of people to it or become genuine movement then the media will respond with, this is just another desperate sour grapes ploy by disenfranchised republicans wrapping themselves in the Constitution because they are jealous of Obama’s achievements and scoff at and deride the people who insist the law should be followed.

Rather than defend the Constitution they will end up using this as yet another example of why the Constitution should be rewritten to favor a more politically correct set of principals.

Politically correct of course being a euphemism for Police State.

Of course the hysterical thing is if anyone is paying attention if what the Nobel Prize Committee did was an overt attempt to influence American Foreign Policy towards peace they certainly aren't getting their money's worth as Obama just authorized an additional 15,000 troops to Afghanistan.

Who knows in this crazy world where nothing is seldom what it appears on the surface the Nobel Prize and it's associated Prize Money might have been the payment to the Commander in Cheif for 15,000 more Federal Troops.

What a world.

[edit on 16/10/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Remixtup
HMM..........you would think a constitutional lawyer would know this.

hahahaha, i wish i could star your reply more than once. well said, and very interesting topic. i'm sure it won't leave the internet though.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Remixtup

Oh I am sure they do . As far as I know since the committee who awards the Nobel Peace Prize is neither a King, Prince or foreign State the Constitution doesn't apply here . Also Obama political detractors would have acted by now had the case been otherwise . Examining the motives behind the Obama receiving the award is worth a look but that is a differnt issue .

Cheers xpert11 .

[edit on 16-10-2009 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Sour grapes MUCH?!? Shesh oh Pete!

The blatant Obama hate on this board is just getting to the point of absurd.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm pretty damned well versed in the Constitution and I completely forgot about this. It is possible that the Nobel is illegal under the Constitution, and a stay should be put on this award until Barack Obama leaves office, congress approves it, or until a legal recourse can be found in a court of law, which ever is relevant. The Nobel does come with the title Laureate:
Dictionary.com

lau⋅re⋅ate
  [lawr-ee-it]

–noun
1. a person who has been honored for achieving distinction in a particular field or with a particular award: a Nobel laureate.
2. poet laureate.
–adjective
3. deserving or having special recognition for achievement, as for poetry (often used immediately after the noun that is modified): poet laureate; conjurer laureate.
4. having special distinction or recognition in a field: the laureate men of science.
5. crowned or decked with laurel as a mark of honor.
6. consisting of or resembling laurel, as a wreath or crown.

Legally speaking the last two definitions are the damning definitions, as this would meet the satisfaction of any court pursuant of the Constitution.

While I'm not a fan of Obama and I don't think he did anything to deserve this award, Whatever legal action is taken, if any is taken, he should be allowed to keep it upon approval, or leaving office, which ever is relevant.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

It does make you wonder if this is an attempt to coerce Pres. Obama into pushing harder on areas that favor the EU. Even Obama himself has mentioned that he was surprised that he received the award. What exactly this nudge may or may not mean, it's hard to base it on past actions. There's not really a good reason to point to so we look to what this might mean for the future.

Don't wish to rain on your parade but Norway is not a member of the European Union.
europa.eu...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

The Constitution doesn't apply to Obama because he isn't a citizen of the US of A.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Holding a lawyer's license or whatever you want to call it, disallows that person from being a citizen of the US. So you know about the real 13th amendment?

I am sure you, as I, are real conspiracy theorists.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
reply to post by Remixtup

Oh I am sure they do . As far as I know since the committee who awards the Nobel Peace Prize is neither a King, Prince or foreign State the Constitution doesn't apply here . Also Obama political detractors would have acted by now had the case been otherwise . Examining the motives behind the Obama receiving the award is worth a look but that is a differnt issue .

Cheers xpert11 .

[edit on 16-10-2009 by xpert11]

the prize, which includes a (1)title and (2)prize money, in the form of laureate, a medal, and a document of the amount of money is awarded by a (3) comittee of norwegians, in the presence of the king of norway, in oslo's city hall.

so that's all three possible checks. but since obama was never a u.s. citizen, he can't cease to be one, right?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
And if George W. Bush has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, by some act of ignorance and/or God, how would the OP have responded???

I suspect it would have been a response full of reverence and pride at what a wonderful and peaceful man he had been.

BS, in other words.

Do I think Obama deserved it? NO.

Do I think the response to it has been anything less than pure partisan divisive politics? NO.

Do I think there would be an uproar from the same people if Bush had of won? NO.

Enough said.

The left vs. right, blue vs. red, us vs. them crap has to stop - and soon.

Your enemies are one and the same; two heads of the same hydra!

If you guys don't put it together soon and stop this inane tit for tat political BS, it's gonna be too late for you AND your beloved country.

Trust me - one day you're gonna look back at all this crap that didn't matter and ask yourselves WHY you spent so much time on this while everything else went to hell.

The clock's ticking.

Wake up

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Nyteskye]

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Nyteskye]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Oh project why do you bring forth the truth! You are correct. He holds the title until, under jurisdiction of the law, he is found to not be able to hold the title. The logic will be lost amongst the A: haters, B: ignorant C: dumb D: blissfully stupid of everything.

Drunkin monkey's post more coherent arguments than the mindless droves that spew their endless arguments here on ATS. I am sorely disappointed.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart
the prize, which includes a (1)title

Is the title really any differnt from referring to someone who has won an Olympic Gold Medal as a Gold Medal winner ?

and (2)prize money, in the form of laureate, a medal, and a document of the amount of money is awarded by a (3) comittee of norwegians, in the presence of the king of norway, in oslo's city hall.

Since the prize was given in the presence of the King and not by him where is the problem ?

so that's all three possible checks. but since obama was never a u.s. citizen, he can't cease to be one, right?

Check out this thread .

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Tell me, would you hold gold medal winner in higher regard than Nobel Peace Prize winner? One is given on your accomplishments, rated and scored against others. The other, on what? Please. at the time of supposed votes, how did Obama out vote dissidents in China? How about those that have advocated peoace in the middle east for YEARS! or even those that have fought for peace in Africa for years? You cannot say that giving it to Obama was nothing more than pure political bull dung.

Btw, love the cross reference a thread that is highly bipartisan and highly for one side. You are taking an issue that is inherently one sided and presenting it as fact.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by ownbestenemy]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join