It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bunny Rabbits used as Fuel to Heat Homes in Sweden

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b16ff228ad89.jpg[/atsimg]

The ethics of this are plain really, however I am sure many will be upset at the thought of Rabbits being burned to heat a pwer plant.

The bodies of thousands of rabbits are fuelling a heating plant in central Sweden, local newspapers say.

"They are a very big problem," he said. "Once culled, the rabbits are frozen and when we have enough, a contractor comes and takes them away."

The frozen rabbits are then taken to a heating plant in Karlskoga which incinerates them to heat homes.

He says that with this new method, raw animal material is crushed, ground and then pumped to a boiler where it is burned together with wood chips, peat or waste to produce renewable heat.

BBC Link also has a World Service Report

Examiner - Rabbits used for heating in Sweden - Why not the USA?

Rabbits Burned to Heat Stockholm - Telegraph

Outrage as Bunnies burnt for fuel News.com.au

As the rabbits are culled anyhow, not for this but due to them being seen as pests, it is better I suppose than them going to landfill to feed the seagulls and worms and bacteria.

Personally I think I would feel subconsciously slightly uncomfortable turning the heating on knowing little fluffy bunnies were being burned for it.

However it opens the debate should all dead animals, and even people? to be used in such ways, and if not why not, whats good for the bunnies is good for us, why cremate needlessly, ship of the dead to the heating plant.

Would it bother you?

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I sort of got a chuckle out of it thinking of Bugs Bunny being tossed in to the furnace. Also the little fluffy bunnies comment helped that too.

But in a way I do feel bad that they are killing the creatures and not eating them. I would love to have some nice juicy rabbit. I guess I am not that disturbed though because their carcasses are not going to waste. I mean they could just kill them and let them lay there.

Though personally I would have to make sure I saved a few for cooking.

As for using other animals or even people to do the same thing I guess we could. I mean at least those people that get cremated. I imagine they but off a great deal of energy.

Raist

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Well thats it isnt it as of now many people are cremated, and as Burial space becomes crowded and expensive, why waste energy burning people to. Also I know in the UK dead animals on the side of the road are sent for cremation....Also pets that are put down.

Maybe mix them all up and use them in power generation it makes sense, it is efficient, and also is a last good act or beneficial thing a person/animal could do by helping others.

My god in the UK no Old people would ever have to freeze over christmass and winter again due to lack of money for bills, empty the morgue & vets and clear up the roads I say Burn them all!

Save a Pensioner today!

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 15-10-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

I see your point about burning dead animal and human carcasses for fuel. That is great idea, and think how much it woud save in funeral costs for people. Heck the famiy might even get paid a bit for providing fuel. Sounds like a win-win

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
lol they are so cute and flammable

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by StinkyFeet

Heck the famiy might even get paid a bit for providing fuel. Sounds like a win-win

However then surely the payment would be by weight, so it could create some discrimination issues, also many might find themselves like Geese and Pate being fattened up in their final days... so the logistics would have to be worked out...

Seriously though with a growing world population, need for space and land for agriculture etc, risk of disease, lower resources and pollution I really think this should be used more extensively cross species.

Its just a mass of dead biological material, maybe if people wont allow themselves to be used for transplants etc this should be the other option.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The idea of incinerating fluffy bunnies to heat homes disgusts me on many levels. I dunno, maybe I am alone in that.

WHAT is going to stop those sick bastards from starting to factory-produce fluffy bunnies for this purpose?

The first thought that came to me is, eventually there will not be enough wild bunnies to satisfy their sick lust for incinerating fluffy, innocent creatures. They will start to mass-produce them, much like the US's meat industry. Or even a terrible puppy mill, that will have the animals in terrible conditions so they can pump out as many innocent, fluffy creatures as possible --- At the lowest cost possible.

Humans make me sick.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Well if they pay by the pound how could that be discrimination? Plus, it might be good to fatten them up before they die, at least they will die eating what they want and not starving to death.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I R SAD BUNNY

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Hey great idea. We all know bunnies breed real fast. We could create a giant farm for bunnies, and it would create renewable energy. People could raise bunnies in their garage and sell them to the utilities for extra cash. A new cottage industry. Genius!

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I wonder if they will soon be using stray cats and dogs...

....Maybe they already are.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Good grief, people are starving in the world and they are using bunnies for fuel.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Hmm since we are talking about getting rid of waste.... perhaps we fpund a sollution to politicians? Lobbyist anyone?

Toss em in the fires, their hot air for once will actually do some good....

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Well well there is a thought.

That is an use I never thought of.

I wonder though about the "hunters" who go and get them, I mean imagine discussing your Job with a prospective Date

What do you do then for a Living Sven?

I am an Bunny Rabbit Hunter, its a drag the targets keep going up, but the boss doesn't realise how quick these guys move

I suppose many are single!

However how do they hunt them? surely not with guns in a city, maybe nets and thats an image or photo I would like to see.

I am saddened really by this, The actual killing of them upsets me, they should be left alone.

Once dead though it is silly to have an attachment to them, its to late so they are being used for something, but as you say people are hungry to..

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 15-10-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Were talking about creating some energy here rock, not starting an uncontrollable chain reaction. Shesh oh pete!

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
thats just whack too bad the bunnys are not in the position to say the Sweds are a real big problem and start burning them

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
'you see that twinkle in the lamp, son? That's you're gramma, just sayin' she loves you.'

As hardcore as I'd like to present myself sometimes (whatever), the thought of cute little bunnies being farmed for fuel is a little disconcerting.

Hmmm....how about prisoners, old people and the mentally handicapped? Waste not, want not, right?

Seem like it would be better to just do the Matrix thing, but with bunnies. Doesn't make a lot of sense to just burn them up once, when you can make a huge bunny reactor and power a city indefinitely on synthetic vegetable matter.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I got a few rabbits nearby that tore the crap out my garden. My wife won't let me kill them, but what if I told her that I was going to donate them to Swedish people. anybody think that might work?

the alternative to killing the rabbits and using them as furnance fodder, is to re-introduce natural predators in the enviroment and let wolves or fox eat them, er.. I mean keep the population in check. It not what you say, its how its spun.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I'm so conflicted between tear-shedding laughter and... non tear-shedding laughter. Is this for real?

If it is, I'd like to nominate a few Democrats and Republicans for the cause... nothing burns like pure, unadulterated... methane

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Strange, It doesn't seem like rabbits have a lot of fat to fuel a furnace. I'm worndering if this is just a way to dispose of animals that adds a marginal degree of fuel to justify the issue.

It gives new meaning to the term warm and fuzzy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join