It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA - Giant Ribbon Discovered At The Edge of the Solar System

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevinoThis really sparks some interest

Funny.

Do all of these seem to be electrical in nature to anyone else?

Well, yes, but I have to admit it seems a bit of a stretch we could have had streamers so strong to produce discharges of that magnitude. Wouldn't they be neutralized in the aurora?

I can see it happening for Venus, and indeed other scientists have admitted corona discharges originating on her upper atmosphere are solar driven, but Venus has a negligible magnetic field. But for Earth, a LOT of ionized particles would have to be injected into the magnetosphere. It would have to be a massive overload to get coronal discharges at that latitude, don't you think? And how would a such a circuit be set up?

There is of course a possibility, but I imagine it would involve a rotation of Earth's magnetic field, and that would have to correspond with a simultaneous system wide discharge, so what are the chances of that, unless like you say the precession is somehow tied to the distance to GC?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Matyas

The Sun is a generator that energizes our solar bubble and the potential energy follows the inverse square law so objects moving away from the center would lose charge over distance. An object coming in at a high acceleration from outside a 'critical point of electrical potential' would create an electric discharge. It would be like grounding a hot load wire.

The potential energy out in space is nothing compared to the charge planets and moons have, especially those close to the Sun. So imagine an object with a low electrical potential coming close to an electrically charged object like the Earth. Even if there was no physical impact there would be an exchange of electricity resulting in physical damage to both objects.

Could this be called the Electric Geology theory?
I resisted posting links that illustrate this direction and not because they are hard to find or lacking in numbers.

Originally posted by Matyas
If the compression waves are at right angles to the galactic center (GC), then are they responsible for the ENAs?

Are spiral arms at right angles to the center?
I always thought of this as the right hand rule and the arms are torque, or the electro-magnetic field (of coarse this means that we are upside down in the Milky Way). Keep in mind that there is a force that causes rotation that has not been classified. Astrophysicists are incorrect if they believe there is no force that causes rotation (and it is not a product of the big bang).

I disagree with the concept of a negative charge, there is no "negative" charge, the charge is neutral. Energy flows in one direction only, from high to low potential. Of coarse I leave this comment out when I talk to electricians.
Do you have a flat tire or is it a negative inflation?-Negative insinuates a quantity that does not exist.
We don't measure the amount of cold nor darkness so why would there be a measurable negative charge?

This is getting into the Luminiferous Aether theory that has been put on hold for almost 100 years (I hope Tesla isn't still rolling in his grave). The missing matter/energy that science has been looking for can be found here, it is not dark nor is it matter. No laser interferometer will find this or any other fictitious waves no matter how much money is spent.

Proof for the Luminiferous Aether is "Inertia". The resistance to acceleration (inertia) creates time and the conservation of this energy (momentum) is the balance. If there was no inertia then reaction to a force would be instantaneous and without momentum there would be no force.

I really think it is important to calculate the total mass of the ENAs, especially for our solar system in relation to the solar system's total mass. This would satisfy a gravitational model. But I also think the ecliptic could be subject to an electrical twisting force as well. The field may be very weak, but over such a large area would exert considerable force.

I need to give this reply some more thought.

The discussion in this thread has really inspired my desire to understand these subjects and has given my brain something to do when I'm board, so my brain thanks you.

[edit on 10/26/2009 by Devino]

[edit on 10/26/2009 by Devino]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Maybe I went a little too far in this thought as I know all too well that it can be very difficult to accept new ideas, especially when they contradict what we have been taught. One thing I am certain of is that the old explanations for electricity, astronomy and cosmology are so complicated that they obfuscate any chance for understanding of phenomena related to these subjects.

The rule is that simple answers are usually the best and following this rule explains such phenomena in a beautiful way that is easy to understand yet seem to contradict the former mainstream explanation. The cosmological language is ineffable to us common people and can only be read by the few exalted ones that have been anointed by academia. They seem to spend more time explaining away observations than attempting to understand them.

"As above, so below." describes in part the scalability of plasma energy. This means there is geological evidence here on Earth (macro and microscopic) that proves the Universe is electric.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
MYSTERY SOLVED? Possibly....

From NASA:

"We believe the ribbon is a reflection," says Jacob Heerikhuisen, a NASA Heliophysics Guest Investigator from the University of Alabama in Huntsville. "It is where solar wind particles heading out into interstellar space are reflected back into the solar system by a galactic magnetic field."

These next excerpts from the report are very interesting also:

The IBEX data fit in nicely with recent results from Voyager. Voyager 1 and 2 are near the edge of the solar system and they also have sensed strong* magnetism nearby. Voyager measurements are relatively local to the spacecraft, however. IBEX is filling in the "big picture." The ribbon it sees is vast and stretches almost all the way across the sky, suggesting that the magnetic field behind it must be equally vast.

Although maps of the ribbon (see below) seem to show a luminous body, the ribbon emits no light. Instead, it makes itself known via particles called "energetic neutral atoms" (ENAs)--mainly garden-variety hydrogen atoms. The ribbon emits these particles, which are picked up by IBEX in Earth orbit.

Link to reflection models:

The solar system is passing through a region of the Milky Way filled with cosmic rays and interstellar clouds. The magnetic field of our own sun, inflated by the solar wind into a bubble called the "heliosphere," substantially protects us from these things. However, the bubble itself is vulnerable to external fields. A strong magnetic field just outside the solar system could press against the heliosphere and interact with it in unknown ways. Will this strengthen our natural shielding—or weaken it? No one can say.

Artistic rendering by Linda Huff and Prescilla Frisch of The Local Interstellar Cloud

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus

"It is where solar wind particles heading out into interstellar space are reflected back into the solar system by a galactic magnetic field."

What does that have to do with the neutral designation? You know, this reminds me of Philip Jose Farmer, who introduced the notion that the universe was a projection and the end of it is the edge of the solar system.

Now in light of new theories into time travel research, this scenario could be the case. If our reality is a simulation, the boundaries could exist there, providing it is not part of our program to develop interstellar travel, else we would run into an impenetrable wall and have some very hard questions to face.

Nice maps though.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

news.softpedia.com...
One of the reasons why the existence of the Local Interstellar Cloud was so mysterious was because, millions of years ago, a large cluster of supernovas exploded in the vicinity of our solar system. This massive explosion triggered the formation of a high-pressure supernova exhaust, a cloud of gas heated to millions of degrees. The Local Fluff is entirely surrounded by these remnants, and should have therefore been dispersed or destroyed a long time ago. However, it would now appear that the strong magnetic field outside our solar system is keeping the helium and hydrogen atoms, all heated to about 6,000 degrees Celsius. Our Sun is moving through a Local Interstellar Cloud as this cloud flows outwards from the Scorpius-Centaurus. Gas clouds after they form begin to fall toward the Galactic plane. Chandler wobble, Earth’s wobble of its axes coincided with the galactic alignment with the galaxy roughly every 26 thousand years .Our Solar System orbit’s the black hole of our galaxy roughly every 26000 years. 2012 we will be passing through the Galactic Equator where galactic gravity is the strongest running more or less through the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. Schoenberg (1964) has shown that dust clouds have a FAR FROM random alignment, and that they show a strong preference for apparent elongation along the plane. Dense dust clouds show a definite tendency to align themselves parallel to the galactic plane. In the statistical sense the alignment is extremely significant for the probability that it has arisen by chance from a random distribution is extremely small.

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Wed Mar 3 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Mod edit: Removed continuation of previous copy/pasted article

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by IonDrive

For all we know, we could be inside some super-advanced alien race's version of a Large Hadron Collider. We study our beginnings and how things developed in our universe so intently--wouldn't they do the same? And if we had the ability to actually allow a new universe to grow for study, I wouldn't be shocked if we did it either.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join