It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA - Giant Ribbon Discovered At The Edge of the Solar System

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Don't cross through the energy barrier if you have any ESP quotent. Remember Gary Mitchell - Star Trek "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is a nice find for SCIENCS, AND IT PROVES SCIENCE cannot understand the vast LITTLE UNIVERSE WE CALL HOME.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
now this is interesting! does this take out the ort cloud theory?

i mean if there is a ribbon, then is there still a ort cloud theory just speculation?

not sure, just my second year in college taking astronomy, so never mind my ignorance in this matter?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I think one important reason why people aren't excited about space exploration is simply that they can't see around 99% of the stuff being explored. It was different when we put a man on the Moon. Everyone can see the Moon. It's tangible, romantic, fascinating. Putting a man there would be way cool. We could point to the Moon and say, "A man walked there".

Most of us can't even see Mars, since we live in cities and other areas with too much light pollution. Those who can just see a sort of reddish point of light, hardly different from all the other stuff out there. It's not nearly as interesting or compelling to the average person. Put a man on that point of light? So what. Looks like all the other points of light. What's the difference?

Another reason for the lack of interest is that most people (in the US, at least) are almost completely lacking in scientific education. Outside of a few basic science courses, very few US students care about science or learn much about it. They have no idea what is being talked about when discussions are had concerning space exploration or technology. They cannot imagine the distances involved, are unclear about what a galaxy is or how it's different from a star or a planet or even an eclipse. Without at least some basics, people are unable to distinguish between valid scientific comments and arguments, and complete nonsense. This is one of the reasons the US even has something called "Creation Science". People don't know what the word "science" even means.

Unless we teach our kids about this stuff, they'll never understand. Ultimately, the world will leave us behind, as they've been doing all along. We imported our scientists from Germany after WW II; then we hired them from other countries through having tons of money. Now we're out of Germans, and we're not as rich as we used to be. We can't get the quality of scientists we once could, and aren't raising enough of our own.

Time to start making our own scientists, or watch India and China take over in that area.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
When I read the article I thought of the "Dark Rift" also. My take on it is that it is a result of friction from the helioshere interacting with the thin disk of gravity produced by the black hole at the center of our galaxy. NASA says our helioshere has shrank nearly 20% in the last decade. Could this shrinkage be the result of compression of the heliosphere against the disk and now friction has resulted in ENA's being produced?

Just a thought

[edit on 16-10-2009 by DEEZNUTZ]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I'm sure this has already been posted, but that sounds like a doorway between dimensions to me. Like a wormhole as postulated by the astro phiz's.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
the voyagers missed it but wasnt there a slight drag on them that has them going ever so slightly off course as they left the solar system? maybe this can account for it. nice find

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I don't know why society has lost its zest for space interest.

One reason could be that there is not so much media attention and there is no media attention because NASA doesn't need media attention because they are not after money. But wait until they need to embark on a real big project then it will be media-ised to ensure funds are forthcoming. just IMO

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Well this is getting exciting, The Cassini Data also paints an entirely different picture of the heliosphere as well. It's time to rewrite the text books it's more than just a simple bow shock interaction.

Images from the Ion and Neutral Camera on NASA's Cassini spacecraft suggest that the heliosphere, the region of the sun's influence, may not have the comet-like shape predicted by existing models. In a paper published Oct. 15 in Science Express, researchers from the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory present a new view of the heliosphere, and the forces that shape it.

Bye bye "bow shock".

The Ion and Neutral Camera images suggest that the solar wind's interaction with the interstellar medium is instead more significantly controlled by particle pressure and magnetic field energy density.

"The map we've created from the images suggests that pressure from a hot population of charged particles and interaction with the interstellar medium's magnetic field strongly influence the shape of the heliosphere," says Don Mitchell, Magnetospheric Imaging Instrument/Ion and Neutral Camera co-investigator at the Applied Physics Lab.

www.physorg.com...

Ahem.. Dominated by particle pressure and magnetic fields.

The big clue they are talking about.. the fact that this ribbon lies perpendicular to the galactic magnetic field suggests this is electromagnetic in nature.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by squiz
The big clue they are talking about.. the fact that this ribbon lies perpendicular to the galactic magnetic field suggests this is electromagnetic in nature.

The electric universe theory explains so much, but mainstream science is stuck in their old ways because of scientific stigma and fear of ridicule.

Electric Universe

And this is why mainstream science is not interesting.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I would guess that the Sun acts like a huge electric generator. It creates a magnetic field as it spins from the resistance to its rotational force. This field encompasses the Solar system. Planets within the solar system would create their own magnetic fields as they rotate in response to the Sun's field and resistance to the rotational force.

Galaxies do the same, generate huge amounts of electric energy due to the friction from rotation (or acceleration). These electro-magnetic fields protect us as well as set our perspective of time and space measurements.

Inertia is the resistance to acceleration, rotation is an acceleration (it has inertial effects, "centrifugal force").
Whatever the cause is for rotational acceleration the effects from inertia is electro-magnetic energy. This seems to describe an electric motor.

[edit on 10/17/2009 by Devino]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by took24

I don't know why society has lost its zest for space interest. Though I do think that is gearing up again a little. I think landing on the moon (whether you believe it or not) is was so anti-climatic that space interest has been hard to gear up again.

but if we keep finding cool stuff like this, maybe kids will start taking an interest.

I know that I would LOVE to buy a telescope for our family. But they are way too expensive.

they have lost interest due to stories like ballon boy, being talked about for hours and hours.
it's ratings for the media...simple stories that everyone can understand, dominate what is reported. the more someone has to think about a subject, or have knowledge with curiosity, the more eyes leave for another channel.
look at reality shows...there are more eyes on these, thus more eyes on the commercials. they don't give a crap about what the public can learn, they give a crap about what the public buys.

have you ever noticed that people in policy making positions never watch TV? that's what most of them say when they are asked. they know what it is about and what a waste of time it is. i have seen that question asked over and over again, and those people reply that they simply don't watch TV
[edit on 17-10-2009 by jimmyx]

[edit on 17-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Apparently this has caught the attention of Wall Thornhill, one of today's main proponents of the Electric sun hypothesis. So we can expect an article soon.
My thoughts were that of a toroidal ring current, just a guess really. I hear the shape resembles that of the Z pinch model? but would rather wait for more info before I jump the gun with personal theories.
Yes indeed, been a very good year for EU and Plasma cosmology.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613

Without at least some basics, people are unable to distinguish between valid scientific comments and arguments, and complete nonsense. This is one of the reasons the US even has something called "Creation Science". People don't know what the word "science" even means.

Exactly. Scientists, teachers, and the media need to do a better job of identifying pseudo-science, and making sure people understand that it is based on opinion.

US schools teach faith, gossip, and athletics. Truly a sad situation.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The best way I would describe your existance is The Truman Show starring Jim Carey.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
The ribbon is from a bow, some alien has just bought his wife a present.

It was either our solar system or a giant toblerone

HEHEHE...lol. click on Play AUDIO on the webpage....then you will see the Ribbon is NOT for a woman

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Pjotr]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
i've seen thunderbolts of the gods and from that concluded we live in an electric universe; however, i do not completely understand the scientific terminology but the concept just strikes me as being right. i understand the principal of the electric universe. if that makes any sense.

so, i asked a friend who studies in depth on the electric universe and sent him a link regarding this "ribbon" and this is what he has to say:

Well, sadly the mainstream scientist are simply at a loss to explain even the most fundamental workings of anything in the heavens because they do not understand the Electric Universe. The ribbon they are refering to is nothing more than the varying electomagnetic current sheath were the sun's heliopause and the intergalactic Birkeland currents emenating from the Milky Way istself intersect. The correct technical term for this is a "plasma double layer"....not "magnetic flux tubes" and there is a chapter in Don Scott's Electric Sky that explain that where the suns heliopause intersects with the galactic Birkeland currents there is a energetic exchange of electric charge......that is what strips the ions of their electric charge.....
William Spann to me 1:02 PM (5 hours ago).

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Almost looks like the ribbon is the result of the galactic magnetic field interacting with the heliosphere. Seems like the strongest points of the galactic magnetic field corresponds with the brightest parts of the ribbon.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
in the first Star Trek Next Generation Movie, when Captain Kirk meets Captain Picard, well there was an energy ribbon that travelled through space. mostly harmless unless it passes through your planet.

I wonder if they discover this "object" is moving, would they tell us which direction it is heading?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613Another reason for the lack of interest is that most people (in the US, at least) are almost completely lacking in scientific education. Outside of a few basic science courses, very few US students care about science or learn much about it. They have no idea what is being talked about when discussions are had concerning space exploration or technology. They cannot imagine the distances involved, are unclear about what a galaxy is or how it's different from a star or a planet or even an eclipse. Without at least some basics, people are unable to distinguish between valid scientific comments and arguments, and complete nonsense. This is one of the reasons the US even has something called "Creation Science". People don't know what the word "science" even means.

You know when you say "US" that's a hell of a lot of flavors.
Let's let the statistics show thier "true colors":

SAT and ACT Scores by Race/Ethnicity: 2003

In recent years the noted pattern of test scores has reflected similar numbers--
Editor, 2005

SAT Ethnic Group Scores (Math/Verbal+total)

• American Indian---482/480 (962)
• Asian American-----575/508 (1083)
• African American-----426/431 (857)
• Puerto Rican----457/448 (905)

Other Hispanic----464/457 (921)

• White-----534/529 (1063)
• Other ----513/501 (1014)

Source: www.collegeboard.com

Average ACT Composite Score by Race/Ethnicity, 2003
----------------------------------------------------

• African American ----16.9
• American Indian---18.7
• Caucasian---- 21.7
• Mexican American----18.3
• Asian American---- 21.8
• Hispanic----19.0
• Other ----19.3
• Multiracial-----20.9
• Prefer Not to Respond -----21.8
• No Response-----20.1

I have to admit when it comes to education, the Asians kick butt. I have a lot of respect for Asians.

(Sorry for the Thread Slide, my fault) Back to the temporal rib- um.. I mean magnetic ribbon. - I watch too much Star Trek.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by SpookHunter]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join