It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indicators.....when to "bugout" or hunkerdown?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
What indicators do we use to determine when to "bugout"?
Hunkering down, I would think would be obvious... when the power goes out and stays out. No public communication, roads clogged, anarchy and chaos in the streets, etc.

I'm prepared for either scenario but I think I'll head for an isolated spot on a Yamaha DB as soon as the banks close; or catch a private plane across the border, with some friends that are even more paranoid than I am.

What are your plans? When and how?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
You will probably need to have a plan that can get you through 6 to 12 months - if not, then moving may be counter productive.

I'd suggest stockpile stuff where you are - start some vertical farming immediately - see if you can get some alternative electricity source and a water condenser (makes water from the air) - also get some water storage so you can get run off from your roof if you have one.

While stuff might stop working intermittently - I don't see it as immediate and total catastrophe. Unless you have a well stocked useful location to go - then your better off planning to stay and setting yourself up as self sufficiently as possible.

If you dont need food, water, or electricity brought to you - then you are fairly good - sewage is another issue worthy of thinking about.

If your in your own home - you can probably manage to at least partially achieve some of these things.

Im not sure running is good - better to help out locally - if you help, you create friends - never know what your help might bring you.

Its possible that a stock market crash might precipitate a financial collapse - that is going to be bad. But I doubt a catastrophe scenario is likely to develop in the US in under 2 years - though it is possible.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It really does depend, if the local environment is raining radioactive dust then i'll hunker down for a while until it is raining less and then i'll get the hell out of there.

However generally i will hunker down until i know what is going on or until i can use up my food stores. If people are turning hostile then i'll wait until night time and exit rather quickly to my bug out spot. It is best to exit at night, depending on the situation of course because at night you can move without being seen, or at least with minimal human contact.

Here in the UK the biggest threats i can see are flooding and random tornados. The flodding here can be awful and therefore it pays to have a good plan. If it floods i'll stay as long as i can in my house. If it all goes wrong then i'll grab as much wood from my garage as i can muster and paddle until i'm out of it.

The good thing is that many people will be in one of those mass grouping places like a stadium, sleeping by everyone else, eating rubbish food etc. I on the other hand will be in the woods, eating well, sleeping peacefully and generally relaxing. In such situations someone who has something to do will be happier than someone just sitting around. Creating my camp and setting things up will keep me busy.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Unless they begin dropping A- bombs, or bio- I'll stay put.
If the cookies really start to crumble, then I'll get the hell out of dodge.

Your results may vary from image depicted above.
Scenario enlarged to show texture.

[edit on 10/15/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Imo "they" are going to intentionally try to prevent you from leaving at an opportune time.

If you are already in hiding, good for you.

If you're one of the rest of us, you will just have to use your gut instinct. There will be more and more national crises to hold you back with everyone else, so stay loose and don't get attached.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
We discussed something very similar to this on another forum a few days ago.

The first things to consider are fairly obvious.

1) The nature of the situation.
2) Your location in relation to the situation.

Put into simple terms, if there's a riot in the city and you live 50 miles away there's nothing to be concerned about.

Things can get a little trickier though...

I'll use this as an example:

There's a power outage and you live in the city affected...

Its six hours later. This is what you have heard from friends. Still no official news just the stay in your home and be calm message.
The guy that works at the power plant tells you that the main transformers are done for, the spare also. "No, they say they will fire me if I say what happened to them". But he does say that "once they get a new transformer it will be two weeks before we get the unit on".
A friend that has a fuel farm tells you that the army showed up and put locks on his tanks, told him to move along and left a single trouper there with live ammo.
The water provider sent a person by and he told you that the water would be off by in the morning.
Your brother in law who works at the docks says that they can not unload the ships as they do not have enough generators to get the crane and pumps running.
The local police have been called into the city to deal with "minor looting".

Now, this seems a little extreme but it illustrates the point quite nicely. The power goes off in my town and I can happily carry on with candles and camping stoves until the power is restored. However, I'm not the guy in the quote above and now it's six hours later and I am oblivious of the issues going on around me. As far as I'm concerned the transformer is fine, it will not take two weeks to fix and I don't know anyone on a "fuel-farm". How can I make an informed decision on whether to ship-out or not when I don't have all the facts at my disposal?

The water guy might give me clue. They've come to me so I might be able to glean a little info from them. "Why will the water be off?" The answer might allow different lines of questioning in order to gain more intel.

You should have contingency plans in place, even if you don't have to use them, you may need to later on. Personally, I would see the above scenario, one that would inevitably break down into civil-disorder, as being more likely than martial-law.

If you want to play John Rambo, be my guest, you'll be one of the first they come looking for.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
you ask...."Indicators.....when to "bugout" or hunkerdown?"

I just noticed that tthe Q-Files site has put up this BUG-OUT or HunkerDown alert...that i just read this friday (16th Oct) AM...
as he says ---he wanted a 2 week heads up to alert the public,
so therefore he sees Oct 30-31 to Nov 2-11th as the times to
get-into-survival-mode !

here's the snip from his site:

The 2-Week Warning was meant to give you advance notice to either shelter in place or move to whatever place in the country you have pre-selected to bug out to. Obviously a nuclear detonation in any US city, complete financial collapse, Mid East war, Korean nuclear launch or mega-quake on the New Madrid or in the Pacific Northwest or mega-tsunami on either coasts should be heads up enough for you to hunker in your bunker or refuge location. While it is my prayerful and decade long desire to give two weeks' notice, it may become impossible should the U.S. sustain an electro-magnetic pulse attack that takes down all communications. The fact that the red screen alert is being explained is meant to help to clarify the lateness of the hour. Suggest all reading this RED SCREEN explanation needing a crash course in Emergency Preparedness read and print out everything you can on www.survivalblog.com and acquire the Ultimate Prep Book Dare To Prepare by Holly Deyo. May the mercy, forgiveness, protection and provision of the Living God be poured out upon you – and through you – in miraculous ways in the coming months! —Steve Quayle

the short ESSAY that goes with this 2week + alert can be found on the menu at the site... titled 'The Beast'

www.stevequayle.com...

( i reckon the 'widows' hes looking at are associated with the web rumors that the bank-holiday in the last of Oct
or else the 2-11 November window ... when its thought that the world enters the 6th 'Night'/'underworld' of the Maya Cosmology...which does not bode well as to events that will take place (see the list of dire events in the above warning from Steve Quayle)

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I personally have been on the lookout for geological 'events', being in the UK thats going to be really bad should anything be obvious over here, by looking at the wildlife, watch for birds and animals all heading or seemingly fleeing in the same direction that way you get a direction to go, i.e the same way the wildlife is heading.
As for social 'event's stating the obvious 'looks for sails on the horizon' ie in these days smoke plumes from large fires.
But if TSHTF I think I would stay home as long as I could, get whatever supplies together both my wife and I could carry on our motorcycle, and wait till the last possible minute. Should we need to evac fast I have a BOB ready to go, but I'd rather stay at home and bunker down.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Over the years I've written a detailed 'checklist' document for survival matters. It includes every aspect of SHTF planning and action. There are decision making lists to help consider every aspect of a situation as to whether we stay (the highly preferable option in our case) or cut-and-run. These lists help us calmly assess the situation without overlooking something when under stress. The document then has progressive sections of security conditions (SECON 5 to SECON 1) and the criteria that identifies them. Each SECON has a comprehensive action checklist of preparations to be made and actions to be taken under that SECON level. The document also contains aerial photos of our area, shopping lists, radio frequencies, reference info, etc.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Thanks all! I'm savy as to the How; but what do you think the subtle message will be that say's "come on kids, It's time to go" and leave with really no intention of coming back. Scary thought........

For me, if I see the slightest hint of a run on the Banks, "I'm gone" and even then it may be to late.
I really don't like the idea of hunkering down and waiting. And to be honest, I don't want to live in a primitive situation always paranoid that I will be discovered by some band of roving "mad Max" types. Prepared for both however with plenty of guns and grub.

I'm convinced that somewhere in the world there will be a safe agrarian refuge where the "dog eat dog" mentality won't prevail. I think I would prefer to use my resources to be able to find that place and get there.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I don't think there is a simple answer to this. The SHTF could evolve in a myriad of ways and over any period of time. The warnings you get will be based upon the type of crisis and the speed with which it develops. If the situation is a social/political one it is very likely that TPTB will know it's coming long befoe you get a whiff of it and already have plans in-place that could drastically effect your proposed bug-out. The very worst scenario for anyone is to attempt to bugout and not be able to reach their safe-haven. Any number of natural or government-created impediments could cause that to happen.

If the SHTF, the situation will be a fluid one and changing rapidly. Accurate information --- especially from locales away from your own --- will be difficult to come by. You could leave when things seem stable and be mid-route when roads are closed or the like.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by jtma508]

join