It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Einstein was not a genius

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Well imagination and creativity are the most important "tools" for any scientist or artist. I even imagined things that won't be discovered in the next 100 years by science, what truly makes someone a genius is the ability to bring imagination onto paper (in words, pictures... whatever). IQ is a really bad way to measure intelligence, intelligence can manifest in so many ways (you don't need to be good in math to understand the complexity of the universe), its just not possible to measure every human with the same test and take its results seriously.

You are indeed right. It is not "genius" but strong imagination that makes so many things possible.

I bet half of the ATS members would have done the same had we lived in Einstein's time.

Einstein's ideas weren't even original. The theory of relativity was independently invented but the Nobel Prize was awarded to him.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by Deaf Alien]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

Einstein wasn't that smart. Anybody with the I.Q. Between 100 and 140 can do the same. The only requirement is vast imagination.

your probably right
s&f (I wanna see where this one goes!
:roll

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Oh thanks

It's basically the same story as Edison.

Imagination and hard work.

It took Einstein long time, hard work, and help to come up with Relativity Theory and General Theory of Relativity.

And get this: I understand GRT and I am not a genius

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by GypsK

And get this: I understand GRT and I am not a genius

well, I'm not a genius here either but I have an IQ of 125 and I didn't make it trough high school.. go figure

[edit on 15/10/2009 by GypsK]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I'm a 125 also, cool...
i wasn't so great either i was in special classes and i even got kicked outta that and had go to an alternative school...

[edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

well, I'm not a genius here either but I have an IQ of 125 and I didn't make it trough high school.. go figure

Einstein didn't make it through school. And he still couldn't tie his own shoes!

It was just a matter of being at the right place and time and imagination. He had all the math and science theories at his disposal.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I still cant get over the fact that he couldn't tie his own shoes. I guess i don't remember how hard it was to learn either.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I really find it hard to believe that you can accurately determine 'genius' or even 'intelligence' (whatever that means) by a standardised test. Who's to say how to test a person's mental abilities?

How would a standardized IQ test reveal say Wolfgang Mozart's musical intelligence? He was purported to have a 'photo-sono-graphic musical memory' wherein he could remember several hundred themes played to him and be able to reproduce them without error perfectly even days later.

At the age of 14 he heard Allegri's Miserere in g-minor in the Sistine Chapel played only twice and was able to write out the entire score (9 vocal parts with some complex harmonies mixed in with easier passages with repeats) and only needed to make 2-corrections when listened to the 3rd time---no records back then, you heard it once and could not play it again right away...

Even today, this kind of intelligence is beyond any standardized test. And Herr Einstein they say did not speak until he was more than 5 years old...he was thought originally to be mentally and emotionally retarded---how common it is to have socalled genii (geniuses) so brilliant in one area and so backwards in others (our Mozart had early on developed a bad gambling habit he apparently could not kick, and was always behind on paying his bills--and always needed someone 'emotionally older' to take care of him, (first his father Leoopold, then his wife Constanza) at least according to Nannerl his older sister who knew her brother all too well....)

To me, one IS NOT a genius, but ONE HAS Genius...and perhaps we all do in one area or another. Magic Johnson was no 'intellect' but he had a genius for basketball (i.e. physical intelligence, sports genius) which was specific to that one sport--although it would be hard to say if he could also excel in his younger days at other sports at the same level.

What about acting genius? Few actors are 'intellectual giants' (many of even the best of them are gorssly uneducated in formal schooling, or have little mental agility to speak of, think of Anna Marie 'Patty' Duke playing Helen Keller on stage as a 12 year old on Broadway !) but what they do up there on the screen (and / or on the stage) is sometimes characteristic of what is called artistic genius, which is hard to measure on any standardised IQ test.

What about the other arts, e.g. painting / sculpting / fashion or interior design and THEIR geniuses?

Political genius? Poetical - Literary Genius (e.g. Shakespeare)? Business Genius? What about the so-called Fashion IQ or photographic model genius?

Some highly intelligent people (think of Abraham Lincoln !) haven't a clue as to how to wear clothes---others, not so onbiously intelligent' (think of Gloria Swanson in the 1920s) have a particularly focussed genius to be able to bring out their physical beauty by donning only the most perfect combinations of fashion and materials to set off every key contour of their bodies.

To me standardised tests are worthless...talent and genius in a particular area (such as the ability to improvise on the spot a 4-part fugue on a given theme chosen at random using Krebbs, inversions, stretto, imitation, canon etc.) cannot be measured by such means, and to brand a child with an IQ number for life (from an early age) only serves to stifle his/her potential abilities and limit their creative horizons...sometimes permanently.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus

Thanks for you post. It's a great post.

My point is that Einstein wasn't that smart. He had above average skill in math but has enormous imagination.

I bet half of ATS members here would have done the same in his time. In fact, other people have already formulated the theory of relativity in his time.

We ALL have latent abilities in us.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus

in case you hadn't noticed, those IQ posts, we where joking around a bit , don't take it so serious. Of course I know that my, or anyone elses IQ doesn't say anything about that person, like I said, my IQ is pretty good and yet I couldn't make highschool: that doesn't say anything about me or about my intelligence (although my teachers seemed to think I was a total moron)... on the otherhand I'm more creative then the average person.

after reading your post, I have visions of you raising your hand and yelling "HOw dare you!!!" at me, lol
but still, S for your post because I can't help but agreeing with the point you made

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

I do not know if Einstein was a genius or not. He clearly was smarter then me, but it is not hard.
What i do know for a fact is that Einstein got Noble prize on photoelectric effect. Not relativity theory or any other thing. Also i know for a fact that when we studied on how muscle constricts one of the formulas was Einstein's. And when person leaves his marks on so many different fields - it means that he usually worth something.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
how can you diss albert, what have you done with your life to even have the right to disrespect him

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnydavx

Who disrespected him?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnydavx

how can you diss albert, what have you done with your life to even have the right to disrespect him

I do not diss him. I diss people who think he was all that.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Having an IQ>140 does not make you a genius. Not in the least. Genius is more about character than skill. Plenty of genii have had their fair share of moronic tidbits like not being able to tie their shoelaces, or fearing foods so much as to starve oneself, etc..

I think your definition is a bit too black & white to offer much meaning if any at all. I've been called a genius dozens of times, yet my IQ barely puts me into the "gifted" range.

I read an article not too long ago that said there is no correlation between genius and IQ above ~120.

Andy Warhol had an IQ of what, 86? Yet he was thought by many to be a genius.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

intelligence - ones ability to co-create. (my own personal definition)

not only imagination but the application of that imagination.

realizing the world is a big playground and not a factory.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
we sort of glossed over a very important point on the first page. i will reiterate:

being genius has EVERYTHING to do with what you are able to PRODUCE.

there are plenty of really smart folks out there. most of us live in "our own world", and have a tendancy to understand particular subjects with acuity and fluidity.

but if you cant communicate it to other people, your madness is of naught.

one of the most stark traits of a genius is to be on the fringe of society. (see rousseau's "solitary walker".)

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Perhaps we should ask....

What is the true source of Intelligence.

Is any human Primate really intelligent ???

Or is the source found somewhere else.

Is the brain only the Decoder/Encoder between Life
and a Program, such as your flesh and your environment???

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
OMG once again the very people stating genius and knocking others use basic urban myths for their argument, and dont even RESEARCH what they say.

Fact

Einstein Certainly Could tie his shoes

Urban Myth 1

Einstein Never Finished School or was not Good at Math

Urban Myth 2

Einstein had a Low IQ or just above average

Urban Myth

I could do the same as einstein (OP)

Delusional Thought of very Highly active Imagination with sense of inferiority mixed in. Uselually caused by low self esteem.

Einsteing actually researched topics before putting them to paper, and they contained complex maths and such like, unlike yourself in this ridiculous OP.

Go search have a peek, and not the 3 minute attention span sites you obviosuly get your info from.

Tsk

Elf

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
IQ means nothing. It's what you do with it that counts. I took 3 IQ tests that averaged out to 156. Yet im a high school drop out. Its not the high IQ that makes you genius its what you do with it. and he did alot with his. so in my eyes, yes he is a genius.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join