It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

escaping existential despair

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
My friend and myself to some extent have been in an existential crisis for a while. My buddy Mike has felt alienated from society since he was a kid and believes that there is no worthwhile reason to accomplish anything in life. He carries the existential view that life is meaningless. He has struggled throughout his life completing schoolwork and is still struggling to finish college. He is very smart. he is just frustrated with jumping through the hoops of society because he is sure he will not be happy having a job and living the normal life.

I share the view that life is meaningless as well. However my belief is to find something we are interested in and go along for the ride. He found this to be trite, but what else can you really do?




posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ruckus49
 





The early 19th century philosopher Søren Kierkegaard, posthumously regarded as the father of existentialism[5][6], maintained that the individual has the sole responsibilities of giving one's own life meaning and living that life passionately and sincerely[7][8], in spite of many existential obstacles and distractions including despair, angst, absurdity, alienation, and boredom.[9]

en.wikipedia.org...

you don't have to agree with Kierkegaard

you can also obviously decide to strip your life of all meaning - and then live a meaningless life

kinda up to you

:-)

scary...



posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I think you're right; making a decision and taking action is important. Even if you can't shake the conviction that's it's all for nothing, acting in your own interest keeps you in the game. You have to play the game, even if you hate the rules, and the players suck, but you don't have to buy the whole package. Pick and choose: MArriage? Hell No! Long-term girlfriend? Works for me!

I took action, tried the army, got out. It didn't work, wasn't the life for me, but I'm glad I did it. I'm going to college, and it seems pointless sometimes, but a degree will give me more freedom and opportunity to do my own thing when the time comes. Just gotta keep going. Suck it up and drive on.

You mentioned


living the normal life

What the hell is normal? Life's a mystery, so keep it that way. Chuck out that useless "should be this way" and insert "what could it be?"



posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
For me the purpose of life is to LIVE.
I want to live, I want to be happy and I want to feel like I accomplished something.
(Spiramirabilis) Good point.

I refuse to allow others to define what my life means.
I am immutable on that philosophy.
It's all a ride, so enjoy it.



posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I can't be of much help, as I'm in the same struggle as you. I used to think the meaning of life was to find balance and spread wellness to others. Now, everything seems meaningless to me as well.

When the majority are blind selfish fools, and the world is heading straight off a cliff, what do you get? A bunch of morons, claiming that a new spiritual age is upon us, and all is well.

I see mass denial everywhere and it disgusts me. I think the truth is there is no point. No meaning at all. I will die, just as everyone before me, and chances are the memory of who I was will fade out within a generation or two.

I go on because my primal instinct to survive is still intact, and my parents have already suffered the loss of one child. Can't put them through that again. So I guess my meaning, if any, is to be there for my parents. Besides that, the world is pretty much dead to me.



posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Life is a way for God to learn not to be all, so to experience love through individuation, and individuation through love (or lack of love).

When you'll love your children, the meaning of life will be cristal-clear. Even if still not definable in a simple formula.

"Words,words, words"... Hamlet, Prince of Denmark - William Shakespeare.



posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions
 



Troglodyte: Caveman, a member of a primitive race or tribe of cave-dwellers


We are not all troglodytes. It is the responsibility of the intelligent members of our species to carry the less fortunate. The world is a mess. I understand the concept of the downward spiral but you have to understand that there are members of this society that are productive for the cause of the greater good.

We can't all give up. Not all of us. That would be the end of everything, including the beautiful natural world that surrounds our boxed up social and political world. You say there is no meaning to life at all. I say the meaning of life is to make a mark. Even if it is just a scratch on the surface. That scratch would be more than most people ever accomplish.

Don't blame others for the state of things, blame yourself.

What I mean by that is in not trying at all you are just as worthless as the sheeple you loath. Let the blind selfish fools jump off their cliff. Just because they jump off a cliff, does that mean you need to jump too?

I noticed you said your location was cosmos. Well with that attitude I don't think Carl Sagan would think very much of you. He was a go getter. He had hope. Carl found his love and dedicated his life to it (the cosmos). That is something I think everyone should aspire to.



posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod
 


I understand 5% truly are trying, but the other 95% could care less to see the big picture. It doesn't matter if I wake up a few minds (which I've already done), the tipping points are far too drastic and too soon.

There is NO point in giving the world my all. It's a done deal. People are idiots.



posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
unity you sound alot like my friend. i am more of an idealist and I believe in bettering the world in as big or as small as you can. I think we (mankind) have made good progress throughout the centuries, technologically and morally. most people who i have met who can think this deep have a strong empathy for humans even though they may look down on most people. you recognize that there is a problem. why not work towards a solution?

i like this quote from damod



I say the meaning of life is to make a mark. Even if it is just a scratch on the surface. That scratch would be more than most people ever accomplish.


i have a similar philosophy towards life, i find this to be the most logical and rewarding. i created this thread to give me some ideas to help my friend. i introduced him to ATS today, maybe hell have a look at this later on.



posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by DaMod
 


I understand 5% truly are trying, but the other 95% could care less to see the big picture. It doesn't matter if I wake up a few minds (which I've already done), the tipping points are far too drastic and too soon.

There is NO point in giving the world my all. It's a done deal. People are idiots.


waking up people to the big picture is too big of a task. people are too indoctrinated. ive spent a long time online researching about how manipulated we are. once you understand it and realize what you dont want to be a part of- i say move on and work towards something honorable. the corruption and idiocy will always be there. i say develop your talents and lead by example.



posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ruckus49
 


I don't want to be a leader. Am far too stupid for that role. My perspective is obviously different from most here. I used to be highly idealistic, but am now more realistic, or perhaps pessimistic.

In my mind, the collapse of civilization is an inevitability sometime this century. I actually await the day, so I can sit by and finally watch as people start to awaken to the reality of this mess we created. Then maybe I can do some good. Until then, I'll just keep on doing not much at all.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. Won't respond anymore, but you can u2u if you would like to discuss this further.



posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Gee, guys. Do you think you are going through a "phase", and are simply courting this philosophy; trying it on for size? It can be dangerous, you know. (Convincing yourselves that life has no meaning.) Don't be easily swayed by this. Resist it and like the rest of us, struggle to reach your potential. It's challenging, and makes you feel better. Accomplishment. And so what if it turns out that life really does have no meaning. You can choose to be gloomy, or create a life that is fun and productive. Why not?

Spira summed it up beautifully.

The despair and hopelessness sounds like depression to me. The entire philosophy is depressing. That's why it's not wildly popular. Cheerfulness keeps breaking in.


We can easily forgive a child for being afraid of the dark; but the real tradgedy in life is when men are afraid of the light.

Plato

Life is not for sissies. You have to try. T R Y.



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join