It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever happened to global warming? How freezing temperatures are starting to shatter climate chang

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

In the freezing foothills of Montana, a distinctly bitter blast of revolution hangs in the air. And while the residents of the icy city of Missoula can stave off the -10C chill with thermals and fires, there may be no easy remedy for the wintry snap's repercussions. The temperature has shattered a 36-year record. Further into the heartlands of America, the city of Billings registered -12C on Sunday, breaking the 1959 barrier of -5C

Link to Article

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by booda

I haven't had a chance to read the article fully, but "Global warming" ceased to be the descriptive for this phenonemon a long time ago, as it is misleading.

In a nutshell, "Climate Change" will result, if correct, in a situation akin to what you saw on the film "Day After Tomorrow", although on a much slower scale of course. The melting ice will desalinate the Sea, disrupt the currents and cause massive cooling in the Northern Hemisphere.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It was changed from global warming to climate change because the warmer the planet becomes it eventuall begans to melt the polar ices on earth causing the CURRENTS IN THE OCEANS to be disrupted CURRENTS that basically controll weather. When the current in the oceans are disrupted the earth can slip into an ICE AGE TO REGENERATE FROM THE GLOBAL WARMING NATURALLY.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
So what about all the talk about carbon tax etc....

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has announced plans for a new carbon tax aimed at combating global warming. The tax will be introduced next year and will cover the use of oil, gas and coal, he said.

Carbon Tax Article

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
It was changed from global warming to climate change because the warmer the planet becomes it eventuall begans to melt the polar ices on earth causing the CURRENTS IN THE OCEANS to be disrupted CURRENTS that basically controll weather. When the current in the oceans are disrupted the earth can slip into an ICE AGE TO REGENERATE FROM THE GLOBAL WARMING NATURALLY.

No, they started calling it climate change instead of global warming so the could continue the ridiculous fear mongering. The truth of the matter is we don't have a clue about short term weather patterns let alone long term weather patterns. There are naturally occurring cycles of warmer or colder temps. Most of the 'science' of global warming is based on computer models. How can a computer model accurately portray the world when we don't understand all the factors involved in weather creation.

Fear mongering to pass idiotic/controlling legislation....

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by booda

What about it?

Climate change/Global Warming/New Ice Age/Palm trees in Glasgow..

Whatever you want to call it, the bottom line is that they want to reduce our CO2 output.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AnnieNakki

Weather and Climate are two completely different things.

Very accurate models of the Earths climate have been reporduced with climate data going back hundreds of thousands of years.

That's how...

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You don't think short term weather patterns are affected by long term climate patterns and the other way around? Of course they affect each other. If you can't predict weather it will snow in the next two days, how can you predict global temps in the next 100 years?

Mt. St. Helen put out more C02 than humans have since the beginning of the industrial revolution....

oops, whether, not weather in the line 'whether it will snow' I was typing too fast

[edit on 15-10-2009 by AnnieNakki]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AnnieNakki

Weather refers, generally, to day-to-day temperature and precipitation activity, whereas climate is the term for the average atmospheric conditions over longer periods of time

Climatic trends are much easier to predict than individual day-to-day weather. There is data available in ice cores etc that can tell us what the climate was like for a given period of time, but can't tell you what the weather was like on January 15th 32,056 BC.

There is a difference and it pays to know it.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Global warming to climate change. From the folks in the many different walks of life I talk to. There is no global waming and climate change happens daily or more frequently. Not everyone is clueless about the whole thing. Most have figured out also that its just some nasty little scheme by Gore and company. I think it'd be nice to get a little fog for halloween. Pray to your climate change gods.....

PG

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by booda

I haven't had a chance to read the article fully, but "Global warming" ceased to be the descriptive for this phenonemon a long time ago, as it is misleading.

In a nutshell, "Climate Change" will result, if correct, in a situation akin to what you saw on the film "Day After Tomorrow", although on a much slower scale of course. The melting ice will desalinate the Sea, disrupt the currents and cause massive cooling in the Northern Hemisphere.

In other words. The natural process of climate change as it has happened thousands of times before? Just want to make sure I am getting this right.

It's convenient I think how when one scam gets busted like this one that the easiest thing to do is change the name.

Now, as I have stated MANY times before, I am all for making this earth a better place to live. For keeping it clean and lessening the polution we are making.

But to tax us into poverty for something that is a naturally occuring process? That's where I draw the line.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Global climate warming change errr yeah

Apparently some changes may have it's advantages.
Arctic ice will be completely gone in 20 years

Speaking in London during an event to showcase the findings of the extensive Catlin Arctic Survey, Professor Wadhams said the survey’s data supports the consensus view that “the Arctic will be ice-free in summer within about 20 years, and that much of the decrease will be happening within 10 years.”

He also noted that the diminishing ice coverage will result in the Arctic region soon being an open sea during the summer months, leaving it open to providing short-term benefits such as improved shipping opportunities and easier access to oil and gas reserves.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnnieNakki
Mt. St. Helen put out more C02 than humans have since the beginning of the industrial revolution....

Sorry, forgot to address this one...

Mt St helens DOES NOT "put out more CO2 than humans since the daw of the industrial revolution, that is a bare face lie.

Mt St Helens, and all her Volcano chums around the world, put out around 200 Million tons of CO2 per year. Humans put out around 26 Billion tons per year.

Anyhoo, I'm not completely sold on "man-made" climate change anyway, never said I was. But if you're going to argue about it, at least get your facts straight.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
What drives the climate and weather on Earth?... The Sun! It has entered a quiet period. Virtually no Sun Spots..and the Sun's magnetic flux is just about zip.

The Sun's low activity has allowed an increase in cosmic rays penetrating the atmosphere. Cosmic rays interact with water vapor in the atmosphere and cause cloud formation, and rain.

Lots of clouds, lots of rain, less Sunlight equals cooling. Buy blankets, this is gonna be one kick-ass winter. Forget "Global Warming" and forget climate change caused by man. Its all a bunch of BS used as an excuse to raise your taxes and make Al Gore and a bunch of other lying, cheating, thieves a lot of money.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I have yet to see, perhaps someone can help me, as to how the "climate change" is a direct of result humans and not the natural progression or cycle of the earth. I do think that if we are doing something that definitely harms the environment we should stop (underwater land fills and such). But we know that the planet has had climate changes before humans, so why is this any different? Aren't we simply trying to keep the earth stagnant and how is that beneficial to the planet? It, like the life on it evolves or adapts, so by trying to make it remain the same how do we know that we are not causing further issues or doing more harm? And on a planet that has proven its ability to create and provide an environment that allows life to flourish, why do people believe that the planet is so fragile that humans could have such an impact upon it (outside of nucking the thing to bits). I know, for obvious reasons, that humans do not want to end up on the extinct list, but there were plenty of animals that became extinct before us, that clearly was not the result of human interference, and perhaps if they had not been lost in evolution we may not be here at all.

new topics

top topics

join