It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't Fly the AMERICAN Flag???? Why Not!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted yet.....
I can across this article and it scared me! It boggles my mind that people are being told they can't fly the AMERICAN Flag because it may "offend" people. What kind of world is this becoming? What about freedom of speech, expression? Whether Democrat or Republican, Liberal or Conservative if this doesn't bother you then something is wrong......

www.foxnews.com...

Oregon Apartment Complex Bans Flying the American Flag
Wednesday, October 14, 2009

PrintShareThisAn Oregon apartment complex is banning its residents from flying American flags, not only from their dwellings but also their vehicles, KATU in Portland reported.

Residents' outrage started when Jim Clausen, whose son is in the military and on his way back to Iraq, was told he couldn't fly an American flag from the back of his motorcycle.

If he didn't take the flag down, he was told he'd face eviction, the station reported.

"It floored me," Clausen told the station. "I can't believe she was saying what she was saying. It [the flag] stands for the people that can no longer stand - who died in wars. That's why I fly the flag."

Sharron White, a long-time resident, was told by management to take down the flag she's flown on her car for eight years because "someone might get offended."

This information was quoted from Foxnews.com

Personally if that we me, I would have flags everywhere to make a statement and when the apartment complex tried to evict me, we would have it out in court!

[mod edit: added source link and Required EX tags]

[edit on 15-10-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Flying an American Flag is ok as long as you replace the stars with the Anointed One's face.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is ridiculous, we cant even fly OUR own flag in OUR own country, i don't care if it offends some foreign visitor its my goddamn country, deal with it. How the hell does that make any sense.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I don't know where the article you got this from is, but the linked article is about a reversal:

An Oregon apartment complex reversed its ban prohibiting residents from flying American flags from dwellings and parked vehicles after the property manager decided she didn't have the legal standing to do so, KATU in Portland reported Wednesday.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Be afraid, be very afraid, cause the other aspect of this that gets me is that the ACLU, a legal organization there to keep the rights of all Americans, stated that the ban did not violate any laws? From what I could see there were 2 that got hit by this ban, one being the right of privacy and the other was free speech. It is a sad day when people can not take pride in their flag and hold it in high esteme.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Is it just me or when one reads about things like this it brings out a dark rage that is only found deep down inside ones soul? the type of anger that must have been felt by our forefathers in 1776. If this doesnt make you feel this way then you must have a problem. If we dont take action now it will be to late.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
its already too late 911 saw to that.

now theres nothing more you can do but rant on forums.

thats why none of you try .. you cannot make a difference you dont matter.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by manxman2]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I know it's difficult but maybe some righties could get a friend to read it for them. It says, they reversed the decision to not allow flags to be flown. That means, they can fly their flags. I guess Obama must have been sleeping because all he has to do is make a phone call and you can't fly your flag or hear the truth right? Geesh, how desparate is the right anymore.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I live in the UK, and this July 4th, i flew a US flag outside my bedroom window, and 2 hours later, the council came to ym home and told me to take it down as i did not have permission to fly it

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Here in Las Vegas, the homeowners associations will fine you for having the flag flying. How ridiculous is that
These people who are in control of the H.O.A. are old crusty people who have nothing better to do than fine people. It angers me that they do that. I was in the airforce and I came home and my parents were told they can't fly their flag that they put up for me. They got fined $100, can you believe that crap!!! It's an outrage!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I am willing to bet the owners of that apartment are NOT American, and probably barely even citizens.

I think we have lost BIG time.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Pretty sure this is already on here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Was in the top threads waayyyy back when (sometime in the last week).

*edit*

Right, just saw that this had been posted maybe 6 hours after the other one... I'm really starting to wonder how often people do an ALMOST EXACT thread as one that's already on here just to get attention...

[edit on 15-10-2009 by ganja]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
not being able to display your countries flag for fear of upsetting someone...................

same in the UK & it's been like this for a good few years too !!!

fear of offending who exactly ???????????

If you are a white, Christian, heterosexual person & born in the uk ( IE. the majority) then you are considered the lowest of the low in the eyes of the government. They will of course deny this but this is how most people feel.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by D3nyIgnorance

Cant they take the H.O.A to court over that or something? They are infringing on peoples rights after all.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ok, i get that they have reversed this order or property regulation or whatever it was but that still doesnt take back what has been done, the Apt manager should be fired.
One of the more outrageous areas of this entire ridiculous story is that they tried to disallow US flag BUMPER STICKERS, antenna flags and even the little flags that go inside the auto

seriously wtf is wrong with these people?
I could just see them hiring security guards, position them outside each entrance and have them performing bumper sticker checks.
Oregon huh? There is no such place, Its just an extension of California

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This is nothing new... not to me anyways. I live in Quebec... a province in "Canada", but God forbid someone flies a "Canadian" flag on their front lawn, balcony, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if they get threats for doing that from some separatist Quebecois. It seems the old red Maple Leaf just gets right on their nerves. Hell, there's laws here saying people can't even post signs of any kind unless the French is twice as big as the English, so yeah they're a little sensitive about it, for some reason.

I'm all in for the idea of flying flags, and for those that do it, power to ya! But there's one thing that bother's me about it. A lot of people (but surely not everyone) take patriotism way too far, and it just promotes the bigot mentality where people think they're the best, and that get's on people's nerves... including myself because it just promotes separation when everyone on this planet should be uniting for a common good. I find that's one of the big problems with the world today. Too many people think they're different from everyone else.

I'm proud to be Canadian, and especially proud to live in the city I live in (Montreal)... but I don't think I need to flaunt it to everyone else by waving a giant flag. Pride should be a personal thing... no need to show it off to everyone else.

My 2 cents...

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by oaf21

So your saying when i used to have my truck, and i would put my 2 big American flags up in the bed for 3 days starting on Sept. 11Th of every year was wrong. Just kindly asking...

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

Hell's no, man! Hell's no! There's a lot of false patriotism out there, and I believe this is where the animosity is coming from. That's why I said "A lot of people (but surely not everyone) take patriotism way too far".

You are a patriot, and there's nothing wrong with that, in any way shape or form. It's the patriots that like to crap on everyone else's nation that cause people to get offended whenever they see a flag that's not their own.

It's that same situation where if 1 kid is causing problems at the school lunch table, EVERY other kid ends up having to to miss recess because of him.

There's no "grey area" anymore unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by oaf21

I gotcha, if could still do the flag thing i would but i think it would look silly on my bonneville.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It's not as if the government is preventing people from flying the US flag, it is an apartment complex. The apartment complex owners may be silly from preventing people from flying US flags on their property, but they nevertheless have a right to prevent people from flying US flags on their property.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join